Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Front lower ball joint
Dougie T

posted on 5/2/08 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
Front lower ball joint

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does any one know if the front lower ball joint(maxi) could be changed for another bolt on item that does not require the uprights to be reamed, e.g a cortina bolt on item or some such thing, P.s I am planning to use xr4x4 front uprights that can apparently be modified for use(which I would also like more info on.)
Any help would be most welcome.(haynes roadster build)

mistergrumpy

posted on 5/2/08 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
I think if you do a sarch and don't quote me but one of the Alfa's ball joint has the correct taper. I'm guessing but maybe a 156

02GF74

posted on 5/2/08 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
apparenlty there are two tapers; something like 1 in 6 and 1 in 8 .... but, and I know this as I spent many a minute looking torugh the catalogue, the major/minor diameters vary between manufacturers so these have to match your hole.

too small then it will never grip, too big and you may not have enough interference fit.

you can buy reamers - was discussed here a couple days back so a search will reveal all.

James

posted on 5/2/08 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
Having gone down the 'make life awkward' route of doing things non-standard (with most of my build ) I highly recommend keeping things straightforward!

You'll regret not doing so in the long run!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Mole

posted on 5/2/08 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
Mark 2 Astra fits
Dougie T

posted on 5/2/08 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mole
Mark 2 Astra fits
Do they fit with the 4x4 front uprights?

indykid

posted on 5/2/08 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
cortina uprights fit the maxi balljoint.......changing to them's probably as much trouble as you're asking for using different ball joints.

remember not all balljoints are designed to work in the same way as the maxi, despite them having the same taper.
tom

MikeRJ

posted on 6/2/08 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Mark 2 Astra fits

But aren't designed to be loaded with the ball being "pulled out" of the joint.

Dougie, are you asking for a bolt in replacement for the maxi ball joints, i.e. one that would fit directly into a wishbone designed for the maxi balljoint? If so then no such beast exists, otherwise everyone would be using them!

If not, then I guess you are making your own wishbones from scratch?

bob

posted on 6/2/08 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
Alfa 164

Heres a link to the alfa 164 botom BJ

Alfa 164 BJ link

Mole

posted on 6/2/08 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Mark 2 Astra fits

Hijacking a bit I know but I'm not sure what you mean. I was about to use these are they really a bad idea? Is the Alfa 164 a better prospect?

Dougie T

posted on 6/2/08 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Mark 2 Astra fits

Dougie, are you asking for a bolt in replacement for the maxi ball joints, i.e. one that would fit directly into a wishbone designed for the maxi balljoint? If so then no such beast exists, otherwise everyone would be using them!

If not, then I guess you are making your own wishbones from scratch?
Yes as it seems I will be building them from scratch possibly with a cut and shut of the sierra bottom arm and BJ as in ewans and liams 4x4 conversions.

MikeRJ

posted on 7/2/08 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Hijacking a bit I know but I'm not sure what you mean. I was about to use these are they really a bad idea? Is the Alfa 164 a better prospect?

The lower ball joints used on a McPherson strut system only have to provide lateral location (from cornering and braking/accelertation forces), and any pull out/push in forces exerted by an anti-roll bar if fitted. The bottom balljoint on a Locost with book type suspension takes the entire weight of that corner of the vehicle, and the forces are such that the ball is always being pulled "out" of it's joint.

Another issue is that suitable ball joints tend to have fixing points located around the actual ball joint itself (e.g. Cortina/Maxi), but the Astra ones (IIRC) have a fixing holes some distance away from the ball joint on a metal "leg" that is part of the ball joint body. Use in a Locost type suspension will impose fairly significant bending forces on this "leg".

The bottom line is that the Astra balljoints may be up the job, or they might fail catastrophically at a very inconvenient moment. I'd certainly want to know conclusively before designing them in.

Sorry, I don't have a clue what the Alfa ball joint looks like, so I can't comment on it's suitability.

Dougie T

posted on 8/2/08 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
I was wondering if the alfa 3.0l alfa 164 ball joint fits the 4x4 upright.
It is supposed to be too big for the 2wd versions(although the 2.0l twinspark one fits) but it may fit xr4x4's...just a thought.
Apparently the xr4x4 has the same taper as the 2wd versions of 1 in 6 but is a bigger hole.

Dougie T

posted on 8/2/08 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

The lower ball joints used on a McPherson strut system only have to provide lateral location (from cornering and braking/accelertation forces), and any pull out/push in forces exerted by an anti-roll bar if fitted. The bottom balljoint on a Locost with book type suspension takes the entire weight of that corner of the vehicle, and the forces are such that the ball is always being pulled "out" of it's joint.

Another issue is that suitable ball joints tend to have fixing points located around the actual ball joint itself (e.g. Cortina/Maxi), but the Astra ones (IIRC) have a fixing holes some distance away from the ball joint on a metal "leg" that is part of the ball joint body. Use in a Locost type suspension will impose fairly significant bending forces on this "leg".

The bottom line is that the Astra balljoints may be up the job, or they might fail catastrophically at a very inconvenient moment. I'd certainly want to know conclusively before designing them in.

Sorry, I don't have a clue what the Alfa ball joint looks like, so I can't comment on it's suitability.
People have used the Astra ball joint before and Unless they killed themselves when they failed I have yet to hear of someone removing them because they were unsuitable.

britishtrident

posted on 8/2/08 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
ISTRC MK used the Astra ball joint for a while and then went over to Maxi --- which also isn't designed for pullout loads but has enough safety margin to work on a light car.

(Max suspension is like the Mini only bigger the hydroelastic displacer worked on the top wishbone).

Fiat 124 ball joint (Lada ? Polski 125P ?) has also been used.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.