New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: wire loom connections
finlay

posted on 6/2/08 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
wire loom connections

hello all

just after some advice

its my first attempt at making up a wiring loom and was wondering

is it ok just to bind/twist 2 cables together and seal with heat shirink ?, this is just to make up a specific length its not for connections etc

cheers

Finlay

tegwin

posted on 6/2/08 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
Ideally you want as few connections as possible in your wires... Buy stuff that is the right length...

but if you must do connections, twist them together and then solder them, then put the shrink wrap on....

Its worth thinking about what will happen if the cable is put under tension? Will your connector fail?

I always tend to put a stress relief loop on each joint so that if the cable is pulled, the loop expands before the joint is stressed

bonzoronnie

posted on 6/2/08 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
Ideally you want as few connections as possible in your wires... Buy stuff that is the right length...

but if you must do connections, twist them together and then solder them, then put the shrink wrap on....

Its worth thinking about what will happen if the cable is put under tension? Will your connector fail?

I always tend to put a stress relief loop on each joint so that if the cable is pulled, the loop expands before the joint is stressed

Very sound advice.

A few moments with the solder gun will avoid a lifetime of hunting down electrical problems

Ronnie

jammy_basturd

posted on 6/2/08 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
Personally I'm not a fan of using solder on a wiring loom, I'd much prefer to use proper automotive crimped connections, and heatshrink over them if need be.
thunderace

posted on 6/2/08 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
why not buy a loom like the ones from premier looms.

http://www.premierwiring.co.uk/

MikeRJ

posted on 6/2/08 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jammy_basturd
Personally I'm not a fan of using solder on a wiring loom, I'd much prefer to use proper automotive crimped connections, and heatshrink over them if need be.

Crimps are better than soldered joints, but only if the proper crimping tool is used! The cheap crap ones that often come in a kit with assorted crimp are pretty useless.

finlay

posted on 6/2/08 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for that

Finlay

quote:
Originally posted by tegwin

finlay

posted on 6/2/08 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thunderace
why not buy a loom like the ones from premier looms.

http://www.premierwiring.co.uk/

thanks for the info, just off the phone to them and they are going to supply me with all the wires, phew!! as i was really struggling to find anywhere locally that hold cableing in stock

cheers

tegwin

posted on 6/2/08 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
For future referance...

These companies can supply you with all the bits you need:

Vehicle wiring products
Rapid electronics
maplin
rs components

RazMan

posted on 6/2/08 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
There is a school of thought which says that soldering automotive connections is very wrong. The joint becomes very rigid and with constant movement over time, the edges of the soldered joint become brittle and can break. A (proper) crimped joint is flexible and is less likely to break. Just look at all of the cars manufactured and see if ANY of them use soldered joints in their looms.

As already mentioned, the proper crimping tool will cost proper money and if you pay anything less than £30 then the chances are that your crimps will not be up to scratch. The right tool will not only crimp the connection but also form a strain relief in the plastic shroud (a kind of diamond shape) which is the secret to long life looms.

[Edited on 6-2-08 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
worX

posted on 6/2/08 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
Solder and Crimps can be used effectively!

Steve

Confused but excited.

posted on 6/2/08 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
Never make a joint/connection where you can't get at it easily when the vehicle is finished.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

dhutch

posted on 6/2/08 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Twisting wires together and taping (or shrinkwraping) them up is asking for trouble at the best of time.
- The prevous owner did that for the sterio in my car (having butchered the loom, rather than paid £3 for a loom adapter) and the whole way home every single on of the speakers was droping in and out as it wished on each bump. Nice.

You can solder bits, it does make a good joint initally, and largly you will get away with it from a vibration point of view if the loom is well supported.
- However, i would use crimp conectors if i was doing it. Or where you want to be able to get it apart. Crimp on ends into choclate block.
- Certainly thats what i did wiring our trailer/trailersocket and whats been done by us on our boat.

Daniel

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.