Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Headlights get brighter with revs
tegwin

posted on 6/2/08 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
Headlights get brighter with revs

I have a pinto on standard ignition system and standard alternator...

If I put the headlights on and rev the engine the lights get brighter....

Is this an SVA fail?

I had assumed that the circuitry in the alternator would stop this from happening...

I suspect I have not wired something up properly....

Anyone have a wiring digram for the engine?
Specifically the alternator?

dan__wright

posted on 6/2/08 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
sounds like regulator is shot (check battery voltage)

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

Mr Whippy

posted on 6/2/08 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
no that’s perfectly normal, the alternator does not produce much charge at idle speeds, rev the engine and the systems voltage goes up and so does the lights output.

That’s why it’s best to use fast idle to jump starting another car. Interestingly dynamos produce charge at very low speeds but can't take high revs like an alternator.

[Edited on 6/2/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 6/2/08 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
It depends on if they get MUCH brighter. If so you might have a failed regulator in the alternator, measuring the battery voltage at a few thousand RPM should tell you one way or the other (shouldn't be more than about 14.5v)
Macbeast

posted on 6/2/08 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
This could also be a symptom of a semi-discharged or knacked battery.
onzarob

posted on 6/2/08 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Macbeast
This could also be a symptom of a semi-discharged or knacked battery.

second that, battery needs a good charge

tegwin

posted on 6/2/08 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
Doesnt suprise me...lots of starting and stopping of the engine...

Will plug it in later and see if charging it will work.

RazMan

posted on 6/2/08 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
Could also be down to loose battery connections - the battery itself acts as a kind of regulator, absorbing the voltage peaks. As already mentioned, check the voltage at the battery at rest. It should be around 12V at least if the battery is ok. Then start the engine and measure again - should be around 13.5-14.0 at 2000rpm if everything is charging ok. Switching the headlights on will cause a voltage drop but as long as it stays above 12v (ish) then all is well.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dhutch

posted on 6/2/08 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, even a brand new production car will do that to some degree.
- I notice it espcially when reversing up our drive if i dip the revs below tickover the headlights go much dimmer. As well as geting brighter upto around 2000rpm, where i levals off as the alternator has reached max charge.

You could messure the voltage. 14.8v is about as high as i would expect to see it.
- Its going above this there might be an issue with the alternator regulator overvolting (which will nacker the battery too over time).
- Then if its much below at tickover, it could be a problem with the battery being flat/wornout/small.

Daniel

jammy_basturd

posted on 6/2/08 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
Could also be the result of an incorrectly tensioned alternator belt.
02GF74

posted on 6/2/08 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
wot they say ^^^^

at idle it is possible for the alternator to not have reached itself-excited state so it is not throwing out power. The lights will be pwered by the battery.

As you rev the engine, at some point it does, typically 1200 rpm, then you should see 13.5-14 V on the battery. The voltage should stay at that level regardless of any higher rpm.

If you have much more than 14 V,. then you are gonna start burning out bulbs and boiling the battery, if Lead Acid - and means the regulator is shot.

worX

posted on 6/2/08 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
It all depends on how much brighter they go!

Steve

britishtrident

posted on 6/2/08 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
As already been said check the charging voltage -- engine running shouldn't ever be above 14.9 volts regardless of load or RPM.

Undler load (eg headlights & heater blower on) it shouldn't ever be under 13.4 at any rpm greater than 1500 or so.

Before testing it is adviseable to charge the battery until its shows at least 12.5 volts off charge.

Excess charging voltage can be caused by either a knckerd regulator or bad (eg arcing)) connection usually at the back of the alternator.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 6/2/08 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
wot they say ^^^^

at idle it is possible for the alternator to not have reached itself-excited state so it is not throwing out power. The lights will be pwered by the battery.

As you rev the engine, at some point it does, typically 1200 rpm, then you should see 13.5-14 V on the battery. The voltage should stay at that level regardless of any higher rpm.

If you have much more than 14 V,. then you are gonna start burning out bulbs and boiling the battery, if Lead Acid - and means the regulator is shot.

Nearly all modern medium sized cars cars with high output alternators and hi-tech batteries charge just a whisker under 14.9 volts. Never over 15v as above 15v car bulbs start to blow prematurely.

[/I]

02GF74

posted on 7/2/08 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

Nearly all modern medium sized cars cars with high output alternators and hi-tech batteries charge just a whisker under 14.9 volts. Never over 15v as above 15v car bulbs start to blow prematurely.

dunno since my most modern car is 14 years old this year.

britishtrident

posted on 8/2/08 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

dunno since my most modern car is 14 years old this year.

Strangely on 1950's 1960's car the DC dynamos charged at up to 15.1 volts after which the "cut-out" operated.

[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.