Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Machine Mart
speedyxjs

posted on 6/2/08 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
Machine Mart

I sent my welder off to machine mart for the leaking gas and wire feed to be repaired under garantee. The customer services dude said turnaround about 2 weeks.
9 days later it arrives back ok but they had broken one of the wheels (meant to phone them about that today but never got round to it). Just been out to try it out, works great. Did some great welds. 30 minutes later NEW gas bottle runs out
Before i phone them up and shout at them tomorrow, the small halfords bottles are supposed to last longer than 30 mins arn't they?

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

blakep82

posted on 6/2/08 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
i bought a 151te in march last year, and one of machine marts bottles (600 litres? one of the high capacity ones anyway) and i'm still on the original bottle...

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

speedyxjs

posted on 6/2/08 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Thats the welder iv got and the first small bottle i had lasted 3 or four months but that was just tack welding. Iv now been through 7 bottles in practice because they only last for 30 mins. Iv tried a new regulator.

[Edited on 6-2-08 by speedyxjs]

Minicooper

posted on 6/2/08 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
What pressure is the regulator set at? it just needs to be a gentle hiss, if the pressure is to high it will empty the bottle in no time

Cheers
David

indykid

posted on 6/2/08 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
what have you got your gas regulator set at?

if you've got it full on, it's no wonder it's getting through it in half an hour. with the power turned off, press the trigger and open the regulator until you can hear the gas flowing. if you're welding indoors out of drauaghts, you shouldn't need much more.

apologies if you're doing this.
i find bottles last longer than half an hour though on a 150te.
tom

speedyxjs

posted on 6/2/08 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Doesnt have a guage but it is a quiet hiss. i will try turnng it down tomorrow. It is about 15% on

MikeR

posted on 6/2/08 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
the halfords bottles come in two pressures - lower pressure and high pressure. I went through a lower pressure bottle in a rather short period of time. I now use a larger (waist) high bottle i have from the local gas place.
Mole

posted on 6/2/08 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
I have a clarke 90EN and I think I'm onto my third higher capacity disposable CO2 bottle now. Is it CO2 your using the argon/CO2 is meant to be better but it runs out quicker.
speedyxjs

posted on 6/2/08 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Its argon/co2

Mole

posted on 6/2/08 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
You might want to try CO2 only especially for practice. It lasts longer, I think it's because it is stored as a liquid.
mike4444244

posted on 6/2/08 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
you're better off getting the hose from machinemart to convert it to full size bottles then get a contract with BOC or equivalent. It works out far cheaper, IIRC I pay around £100 per year and £30 per fill for a half size with argoshield universal, I havent had to refill it yet and I do quite a lot of welding!
Mike

110 Defender

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.