Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sorn problems
Vdub boy

posted on 10/2/08 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
Sorn problems

I recently took my Dax Rush off the road (late Nov 07) and returned the tax disc for a refund as I had 3months left to run. Along with the refund form I filled the sorn declaration in. About 2 weeks later I had I cheque back from the DVLA, but no confirmation of it being sorn'ed. Anyway I thought no more about it until I had a later on Friday from the dvla saying I had not sorn'ed the vechicle and was liable for a £110 fine (reduced to £70 if I pay before March). If I am to avoid paying the fine I have to provide the sorn confirmation letter - which I never received, but they must have received my sorn application as it was with the licence refund form. They don't accept phonecalls only letters, so do I pay the reduced fine as knowing the dvla it will be 6 weeks before they reply to any letter I send them ( inccurring me for the higher fine),and then argue over it.
The only evidence I have is my bank statement that shows a cheque for the refunded amount.
Any help/advice ?

cheers

Leigh

zilspeed

posted on 10/2/08 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
Letter off to them today, sent by recorded delivery detailing all of the above.

At least dispute the case with them before going any further.

bonzoronnie

posted on 10/2/08 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
SORN

I had a similar problem about 2 years ago.

A Fixed penalty for not declaring SORN On a donor car parked in my drive.

Although I had no proof that I had sent the paperwork off. I wrote to them and explained the following.

The date I posted the SORN notification.

Where it was posted.

The name of the person who posted it.

A witness statement ( Signed ) from the person who posted. Confirming it had been posted.

In my letter I stated it was my view that an admin error had occured.
Furthermore, my leagal obligation to notify SORN had been met.

The fine was waived.

In your case. You have very strong evidence to back up your claim.

I would write to them as soon as possible.

Ronnie

david4

posted on 10/2/08 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Leigh to save time you would have to take your bank statement as evidence to a DVLA centre we do have one in leeds and explain what has happend . If you do you will be there some time maybe 45 mins or so not the best place,s at times and also get the person,s name who see,s you just in case it goes wrong. as i also am having big big problems with the DVLA.
bonzoronnie

posted on 10/2/08 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
Look at the paperwork carefully.

I seem to remember that a different branch of DVLA collect the fines.

I wrote to the actual fine collecting office.

You may be bounced arround if you write to DVLA Swansea.

I'd second the use of Recorded Delivery.

Ronnie

[Edited on 10/2/08 by bonzoronnie]

MikeR

posted on 10/2/08 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
I had something similar. I sent a cheque to the DVLA with a letter saying something like,

I object to this fine for reasons a / b / c but have included a cheque for the reduced amount as proof that i am a law abiding citizen. If you agree that this fine is in error please destroy the cheque. I got a letter back a few days later with a sorn document backdated.

They are nice people, just sometimes the computer / process messes them about.

Danozeman

posted on 10/2/08 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
I have a similar thinggoing on at the minute.

I bought a car in november which was taxed til the end of november. I took it off the road to do some work on it but couldnt declare it sorn because there was a problem with the V% and they wouldnt do it. Got a letter last week saying the wankers want to fine me 80 quid or 40 if i pay up quickly because i hadent declared it. Which was there fault becuase i didnt have the v5 or anything and they would do it.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

panichat

posted on 10/2/08 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
Me too

Demand for payment arrived 3 days ago.
I'm certain that I sorted it out when I reclaimed the car tax, but of course I have no proof. I've sent the cheque with an angry letter.
Dave

iank

posted on 10/2/08 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
No help for the above, but I do my SORNing online now. You get an automated email back instantly to confirm.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

mcerd1

posted on 10/2/08 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
I had sent off the V5 for one of my cars (to get it in my name)

the car had been off the road for so long that the previous owner didn't need a SORN - but after being told it would be at the discretion of the local officer as to whether or not I'd need a SORN (its a bit of a grey area) - I decided I'd be safer to stick it on a SORN myself

Some of the SORN forms have a box to tick if your sending it with a V5 - but the ones in the post office didn't have this - so I sent the SORN application a couple of days after the V5 (but dated the same day)

but of course - the SORN still got processed first, and I got a letter back 2 / 3 weeks later (long after I got the new V5) saying I couldn't put it on a SORN because I wasn't the registered keeper

anyway I phoned them up, and they couldn't find a record of the letter they had just sent me (I had to send/ fax them a copy I think) - and guess what - the car was going to have to go on a SORN or I'd be getting a fine in a weeks time (so much for discretion)

anyway they told me that if I declared it SORN again - it would be back dated - and that I'd better use the automatic phone line one to get it done quick
but I don't know if they had to do something to get it backdated or not ?

I used the phone number on there website and got transferred around a bit before I got an answer
http://www.dvla.gov.uk/contactus/vehicles_enquires.aspx

-Robert

[Edited on 10/2/08 by mcerd1]

britishtrident

posted on 10/2/08 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
Seems to be major clamp down on SORN -- It seems some bright spark has come up with statistic that 40% of motor cycles aren't taxed --- to anybody on this forum reason is obvious most bikers (and kit car owners) don't use then through the winter !
Vdub boy

posted on 10/2/08 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for all the replies guys, will send a strongly worded letter with all the facts asap.
thanks

Leigh

DarrenW

posted on 11/2/08 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
I had a problem with my donor car after the kit was registered. I recieved the sorn reminder but DVLA should have deleted the car off the system. I informed them by phone and nowt has happened since.

Vdub boy

posted on 3/4/08 at 05:34 AM Reply With Quote
A bit of an update, The Dvla say they never received the sorn declaration form only the tax refund form ( I enlosed a seperate sorn form not realising til after there was a sorn section included on the tax refund fund) I paid the reduced fine but make it clear I wanted the matter looking into further and the cheque returned when they realised their mistake, however I'm still chasing a response. I m I wasting my time?

cheers

Leigh

PaulBuz

posted on 3/4/08 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vdub boy
A bit of an update, The Dvla say they never received the sorn declaration form only the tax refund form ( I enlosed a seperate sorn form not realising til after there was a sorn section included on the tax refund fund) I paid the reduced fine but make it clear I wanted the matter looking into further and the cheque returned when they realised their mistake, however I'm still chasing a response. I m I wasting my time?

cheers

Leigh

err...yes.
Been there, done that.

ATB
Paul

DarrenW

posted on 3/4/08 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
Lessons learnt time im afraid;

1. Sorn on line and get immeiate notification, or

2. Do it conventional way, take copy of forms, send off by recorded and put not in your diary to chase up if you dont get the notification after so many days.

mcerd1

posted on 4/4/08 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
update on my own SORN problems

It turns out that what I was told last year was a load of bull***t

Having been told that I had to put it on a SORN last year because it had changed owners (despite having been off the road scince long before SORN's existed)

I tried to renew it this year to be told I couldn't even if I wanted to because it has been off the road since before SORN's (last time its tax expired was in 1984 - when I was 2 )

So as long as it stays off the road I'll never need a SORN for it , but how come they couldn't just tell me that last year

Vdub boy

posted on 16/7/08 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
Result! DVLA 0 ME 1

Update- after writing serval stroppy letters ( some of which they never replied to ) I finally got a detailed response from the manager of the office that issued my fine . She apologised for the service I received and is sending my £40 back . I suppose that got fed up of me pestering them but at least it worked. In future I'm sorning onine, and any letters I send will go recorded delivery.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.