Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: car cover or sell the Indy!!
mad dad

posted on 12/2/08 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
car cover or sell the Indy!!

does anyone know anywhere (Halfords any good??) that does decent waterproof covers for the MK Indy?? we are now moving to a house with no garage and i don't plan to sell the car just yet even though the cash for some work thats needed would come in handy........decision time.......in the meantime thanks for any help....cheers

nitram38

posted on 12/2/08 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
It is not the cover that is the problem.
Water will still get to your car from underneath.

BenB

posted on 12/2/08 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
I can recommend the SoftbitsforSevens ones. They're not cheap though....

I know for a fact that the Argos blue sheet covers are rubbish and fall apart in no time. If you're going to be using the cover for a while it would be worth getting a lined one which won't attack the gel-coat / paint finish...

Don't sell it, you'll only regret it.... Have you contacted the local council- it varies from place to place but up in Nottingham they had hundreds of unused lock-ups for tiny amounts of rent...

mad dad

posted on 12/2/08 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
yeh checking out the renting option at the mo but would rather have the car at home but had'nt thought about being attacked from underneath...probably parked on shingle when not being used.....thx

onzarob

posted on 12/2/08 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
a tent like a portable garage would be better, the sir would be able to circulate around

One on ebay

Security may be your biggest problem

[Edited on 12-2-2008 by onzarob]

Bluemoon

posted on 12/2/08 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, you need to let the air circulate around the car to stop condensation.. I would also waxoyl the chassis etc, and ensure you have a few holes in the floor to let the water out...

Dan

Mr Whippy

posted on 12/2/08 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
All the covers offered by Halfords are NOT waterproof for anything less than a light shower; this applies to the bike covers as well. Personally I'd buy some cheap plastic corrugated sheet and wood to make a low push under roof, only needs to clear the roll bar or screen. Leave the ends open so the air can flow through, this will prevent the car getting damp.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bassett

posted on 12/2/08 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
Halfords sell two types, the own brand ones arent breathable so are made for short usage. Then there are the tyvek ones which are breathable but about £50 upwards.
Adam

[Edited on 12/2/08 by bassett]

Mr Whippy

posted on 12/2/08 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bassett
Halfords sell two types, the own brand ones arent breathable so are made for short usage. Then there are the tyvek ones which are breathable but about £50 upwards.
Adam

[Edited on 12/2/08 by bassett]

I bought the most expensive ones they have for outdoors, two for the cars and one for the bike. Total pish was not pleased and ended up with puddles in the car and to be honest the biker ended up wetter than without a cover as I didn't dry off.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 12/2/08 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
Does the house have room for a garage/large shed?

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

neilj37

posted on 12/2/08 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
I guess the best option would be a cacoon cover. But they are not cheap. Something like this !!

http://www.classiccarcocoon.com/car.html

Mr Whippy

posted on 12/2/08 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by neilj37
I guess the best option would be a cacoon cover. But they are not cheap. Something like this !!

http://www.classiccarcocoon.com/car.html

Oh I love all that high Tec talk, especially when it's about invisible stuff. That's what I need to market...something invisible, weightless, odourless but highly useful and of course pricey

Werner Van Loock

posted on 12/2/08 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
or this cocoon from frost, not cheap though.

frost cocoon

http://www.clubstylus.be

mad dad

posted on 12/2/08 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
i have got room for a garage which will come later possibly (hence sell car to raise money) but the thought of a gazebo type tent arrangement sounds good, i have a waterproof tonneau cover for the car anyway and security not a problem as there will always be another car parked in front of it - cut down gazebo here we come!!! cheers

2b_pablo

posted on 12/2/08 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
£650 notes:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7051629/Trail/searchtext%3EGARAGE.htm

-----------------

if it aint broke... pull it off and upgrade it!

TimC

posted on 12/2/08 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
Shipping container? I used to keep my old Indy on one and never had an issue with damp.

mad dad

posted on 12/2/08 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
Argos think of everything.........looks like the Indy stays for a while tho.....

zilspeed

posted on 12/2/08 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
My garage didn't break the 500 quid barrier. That's for 2.4 x 4.8 m

Get your hammer and saw out. Rescued attachment Sylva in shed thumb.JPG
Rescued attachment Sylva in shed thumb.JPG

Mark Allanson

posted on 12/2/08 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
I use the Halfords Tyveck ones, about 1 a year - totally waterproof and the don't tear even in the most viscious gales.

I did buy a Argos heavy duty one but it formed gallons of condensation underneath and I went back to the Halfords jobbies

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Aico

posted on 12/2/08 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
I will be in this spot aswell. The thing is I don't have the luxery to build or set up a tent around it since it will be on a public parkingplace. In Holland there seems to be only the Halfords brand, no Tyvek here. Isn't the one on Ebay a good solution? http://cgi.ebay.nl/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320216994266&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=011

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.