Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rotate or Replace Tyres
Guinness

posted on 14/2/08 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
Rotate or Replace Tyres

The tin top is six months old, it's a FWD TDi and I've done 14,000 miles.

The front tyres are approaching the wear markers, not illegal but certainly not new!

The rears are almost as new.

So do I replace the front pair, in about 2 months, or swap the fronts for the backs now, and do all 4 in 6 months time?

Cheers

Mike

RazMan

posted on 14/2/08 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
If you are happy with the existing tyres and intend keeping with the same make & type, I would replace the fronts and wait to replace all four the next time. I prefer to keep all the tyres the same to avoid any handling problems.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
graememk

posted on 14/2/08 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
change them now and spend 1/2 the money, put the back on the front and the new on the rear.

[Edited on 14/2/08 by graememk]

iank

posted on 14/2/08 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
A lot of tyre repair places will refuse to replace front tyres on their own. You'll need to (or have them) move the good rears onto the front.

But personally I'd rotate them if I were happy they were safe.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

DarrenW

posted on 14/2/08 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
I think id rather just have 2 to replace at a time. I havent done the maths but does it make a difference cost wise to rotate them.

I know people used to rotate the tyres before but i would have thought the fronts and rears wear differently across the face aswell. Is it possible that sticking the bedded in rears on the front could actually accelerate some wear? It sounds like your rears may outlast 2 sets of fronts. Maybe you should ease off the loud pedal You are doing the miles for work - no need to rush about.

BenB

posted on 14/2/08 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
Rotate them. Easy choice

Then again, there is a bit of debate as to which end you want your best tyres on. I'd say front end so that you know you've got good braking. Other people say you don't want a laterally slippy back end.....

onzarob

posted on 14/2/08 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
A lot of tyre repair places will refuse to replace front tyres on their own. You'll need to (or have them) move the good rears onto the front.

I ask my friendly trye shop about that and he said there is no reason that you can't put new tyres on the front.

02GF74

posted on 14/2/08 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
when you drive, tyres rotate anyway

but if you mean swap front and rears, nowadays with the majority of cars being FWD, it is the fronts that wear most (both driven and braked) and it is frowned big time on swapping front/rear becasue you don't want the back end stepping out.

If you are happy with the almost worn fronts, then leave them on front and replace when needed.

Replacing tyres is an expensive business but remember it is the tyres that keep you stuck to the road

dhutch

posted on 14/2/08 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
And even then in my mind, its debatable which is prefrable, understear or over stear.

Recently ive come to the conclusion the best route is to put the rears to the front, and then put new on the rear. And just keep doing that each time.

The argument for that was that on a fwd car the rears basicaly dont wear out, so if you dont do some form of rotation you will eventually find yourself replacing them due to age if your not carefull.
- However in the time that the fronts wear out, theres very little degradation
- So you affectivly have good tyres all round each time you buy a new pair.
- And you always have mildly better tyres on the rear, preventing overstear. With understear being correctable with lift off overstear. (well, in a 306 anyway).

But thats not hard and fast rules, just somthing ive come up with, ive only been driving three years.

Daniel

r1_pete

posted on 14/2/08 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
As ^^^ they are your only contact with the road.

I seem to remeber a tv article which showed the danger of new tyres on the front and older - but not well worn, tyres on the back very unstable in the corners. Their advice was replace the worn fronts, but put the new tyres on the back and the older ones on the front.

Rgds.
Pete.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Delinquent

posted on 14/2/08 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Never heard of that! There is no reason what soever to replace rear tyres purely because the fronts are low. OK if you go for a different make or model you do run the risk of having slightly different handling characteristics front to back, but on an old tin top 90% of people wouldn't even notice.

Now changing just one tyre on an axle... I've had that refused before.

onzarob

posted on 14/2/08 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
If you follow the rule of running your tyres in, then new front or back won't be an issue as you should be driving conservatively for 100+ miles first

rotating your tyres does stop the rears going out of date, but you do end up getting 4 worn tyres at once (expensive), also directional tyres hamper the rotation as well.

onzarob

posted on 14/2/08 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delinquent

Never understood people getting one new tyre with part worn on the other side, causes excessive wear on the diff!!! as well as poor handling.

We could all get the crossply's out...thats fun driving

iank

posted on 14/2/08 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
Since there appear to be some doubters of my frail and weak memory

I've personally been refused changing fronts without rears by Costco (very cheap for Michelin, don't sell any other brands). The was even a little sign on the wall.

It's a liability thing especially for the big US chains, as I found out with a bit of google. It's a classic understeer good, oversteer bad argument based on a wet corner performance. In the current era of FWD trained drivers I think I probably agree with the reasoning for most people.

Here is a bit more info.
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTiresRear.dos

Kwik-fit also have it as a 'recommendation'
http://www.kwik-fit.com/tyre-rotation.asp

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Delinquent

posted on 14/2/08 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by onzarob
quote:

Never understood people getting one new tyre with part worn on the other side, causes excessive wear on the diff!!! as well as poor handling.

We could all get the crossply's out...thats fun driving

I've had a irreparable puncture on a tyre that's done less than 200 miles - I'm not about to throw money away replacing the other tyre that has less than 200 miles on it!

Humbug

posted on 14/2/08 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
my local tyre place was in line with the experience of a couple of people above: advice for FWD is to chuck the worn out fronts, put the old rears on the front and put new ones on the rear.
DarrenW

posted on 14/2/08 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
So reading the kwikfit link, tyre rotation must mean swapping lefts and rights rather than fronts and rears.

Both links recommend putting the back tyres on the front and new tyres on the rear (assuming its the fronts that need raplacing).

Delinquent

posted on 14/2/08 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Since there appear to be some doubters of my frail and weak memory

I've personally been refused changing fronts without rears by Costco (very cheap for Michelin, don't sell any other brands). The was even a little sign on the wall.

It's a liability thing especially for the big US chains, as I found out with a bit of google. It's a classic understeer good, oversteer bad argument based on a wet corner performance. In the current era of FWD trained drivers I think I probably agree with the reasoning for most people.

Here is a bit more info.
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTiresRear.dos

Kwik-fit also have it as a 'recommendation'
http://www.kwik-fit.com/tyre-rotation.asp

I suppose there is some justification taking into account worst case scenario's.

I would like to know though, how many people here have experienced a rapid deflation of a rear tyre? I've had 4 rapid deflations of front tyres (one brand new, see above! ) but the only time I had serious problems with a back tyre it wouldn't have mattered if it was new or old, as it was the stub axle that snapped - the offside rear wheel overtook me on the motorway at 80+

iank

posted on 14/2/08 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
It's more to do with the grip levels. Having good grip on the front and poor on the back create oversteer on a wet corner taken too fast.

For a driver brought up on FWD shopping trolleys oversteer will put them in a hedge or worse backwards. In the US that will cost the tyre fitter a lot of money, therefore the policy.

I'd hope most 7 drivers could handle a bit of oversteer

--
Anonymous

Delinquent

posted on 14/2/08 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
It's more to do with the grip levels. Having good grip on the front and poor on the back create oversteer on a wet corner taken too fast.

For a driver brought up on FWD shopping trolleys oversteer will put them in a hedge or worse backwards. In the US that will cost the tyre fitter a lot of money, therefore the policy.

I'd hope most 7 drivers could handle a bit of oversteer

If they are being fitted to the average tin top it'll just cancel out the appalling amount of understeer they build in, so you might almost get a neutral handling car!

adithorp

posted on 14/2/08 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
Put new tyres on the front. Recent test showed tyres with 2.5-3 mm (so still legal)on them took up to 8m more to stop from 70mph in the wet than new tyres. Most police forces change at 3mm. Remember everything your car does, steering, braking, suspention, acceleration, all depends on the tyres.

If you are going to swap front to back then keep the tyres to the same side so same rotation. Radials can do funny things when swaped cross-corner.

adrian

onzarob

posted on 14/2/08 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I've had a irreparable puncture on a tyre that's done less than 200 miles - I'm not about to throw money away replacing the other tyre that has less than 200 miles on it!

Well there is always exceptions to any rule

DarrenW

posted on 14/2/08 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
GUINNESSSSSSSSSS - NOW LOOK WHAT YOUVE GONE AND DONE!!!!

Bad boy.

im just off out for the popcorn.

Guinness

posted on 14/2/08 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
Darren, I know! It's not like I asked bec or cec!

I've just been looking at prices for the replacements and am going to buy a pair! Then stick them on the back, with the backs coming forwards!

Cheers everyone!

Mike

02GF74

posted on 14/2/08 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
or asked if you can make them from aluminium!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.