Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: TalkTalk for ISP and phone
James

posted on 15/2/08 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
TalkTalk for ISP and phone

Anyone using the Talktalk broadband deal from Carphone Warehouse?

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/ says it's the cheapest internet and phone provider.

Have no internet at my new house (or landline for that matter) and would like broadband to save me driving 7miles to my parents!

It seems you have to have a BT line at £10.50 a month to get the Talktalk deal. If you sign up for Talktalk (approx £17 a month) do they then cancel the BT one or is it in addition?
In which case, I might as well have BT internet (approx £10) as well as BT landline for £10.50.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Cheers,
James

EDIT: I think I've answered my own question.... even though you need BT to get started with Talktalk, you can then cancel the BT and Talktalk still works.... I think!
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/home-phone-calls#broadband

[Edited on 15/2/08 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

gingerprince

posted on 15/2/08 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Avoid talktalk like the plague! They are cheap for a reason...free internet = poor internet and diabolical service.

For an idea, just read through some of the opinions...

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/c/broadband/suppliers/talktalk/re views/285/0/2/

they offered free internet to the millions and couldn't cope, over-subscribed and the rest is history.

Fozzie

posted on 15/2/08 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
James, my daughter doesn't have a land-line.

Yesterday she got her self a usb modem/dongle .......thingy........I think she got hers through T-mobile, I've not seen it working as yet though.

Here is a link with a bit more about it.....

linky

HTH Fozzie

edit to add.......she tells me that hers is not T-Mobile but '3'........

[Edited on 15-2-08 by Fozzie]

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

StevieB

posted on 15/2/08 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
I have the TalkTalk phone and broadband.

Costs me £17 a month including the line rental and the internet is fine.

Simon

posted on 15/2/08 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
We have it.

They say it's a super douper fast service which is utter crap.

When we first tried connecting their equipment didn't work. They blamed it on a extension cable I'd used!!!!

Their help line numbers have two people manning them. I spent 40 mins on phone in a queue then got cut off. Twice.

It is cheap though.

Would I do it again?

Not while the sun's brightening the sky!

ATB

Simon

RazMan

posted on 15/2/08 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
I've been with Talktalk for the last 4 years or so - everything including line rental. 24 hour broadband (and I use it for every single hour ) Free UK calls and good rates on international calls too - my son lives in Spain and we can chat to him for free too! I have an uncle in the Phillipines and its cheap to phone him as well.

Excellent deal for £30 pm in my opinion - no more phone bills either.

ps I have got the '3' mobile broadband for work and at £10 pm I think that is quite reasonable too.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Taylor R1

posted on 15/2/08 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
Talk Talk

Avoid like the plague.

Once you are tied in with them & pay the line rental to talktalk you cannot change to another provider without paying BT a new connection charge (over £100). Talk talk take over the line from BT & so when you want to change you have no line.

Call centre is next to useless.
My sister was without broadband for three months. We were in contact with Talk talk many times & tried everything.
They kept putting phone down if they seemed to be getting nowhere.

StevieB

posted on 15/2/08 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
I've been with Talk Talk twice now - the first time we moved away from them it didn't cost us anything.

I didn't have problems with the inernet becase we used AOL, who Talk Talk bought out (which is why they can now offer boadband), so I didn't have to do any messing around with new equipment and my service hasn't changed at all

tomblyth

posted on 15/2/08 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
I got sky broadband and phone no problem fast and cheap if you have sky anyway!
Hellfire

posted on 15/2/08 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
I was with TalkTalk - they aren't one of the worst major provider for a reason.

Independant Review

More Information

More - TalkTalk are so low they aren't listed or recommended

Let that enough info. for you... I was with 'em for about 4 months (they let me out of the contract free because of the phone not working for days, internet less than dial-up speeds etc etc, never again...

Steve

bigrich

posted on 15/2/08 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
my experience of talktalk has only been good, mabe i'm lucky or the rest unlucky i don't know,
My brother parents and inlaws all use it and non of us have had any grief at all
getting 6 meg out of my up to 8 meg speed so its pretty good value for me

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

phoenix70

posted on 16/2/08 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
as other have said avoid talktalk like the plague. I was with them for short time and there customer service is appauling. They have no knowledge of the product they are selling. Oh and if you have a line fault, prepare for a LONGGGGGGG wait to get it fixed. I moved back to BT.

A friend of mine also was with TalkTalk (She recommended it to me) and when she tried to leave it took her ages to get the mac code to swap ISP, and by ages I mean months, they kept fobbing her off and just acting dumb.

Again I say avoid them

Noodle

posted on 17/2/08 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
I've been with them for a year. I believe that most of the issues were with their over subscribed service when it was announced.

I've had no problems and get about 4MB.

I've relatives over the country who also use it and, apart from the initial teething troubles when the services was launched, are all satisfied with it.

Neil.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.