Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ultima Rear End
scootz

posted on 17/2/08 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
Ultima Rear End

Right... this is what the rear end of my Ultima Spyder 'should' look like once complete and using the parts in my kit -

SPYDER1
SPYDER2
SPYDER3

There is a more recent option for the rear wing as shown on this Ultima Can-Am model -

CAN-AM1
CAN-AM2

I've given myself a sore head trying to decide what looks better... any opinions from fresh eyes?

Please note that the rear shells are differently shaped between the Spyder and Can-Am.

Fred W B

posted on 17/2/08 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
No brainer for me, the second choice.

Looks "race car" while the first looks "chav"

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 17/2/08 by Fred W B]

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

RazMan

posted on 17/2/08 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
I used to like the integral wing as in the first pics. In fact I was planning something similar for my car, but having seen them side by side I now prefer the add-on alloy wing - I just think it suits the car better.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
carpmart

posted on 17/2/08 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
^^^ I am with him!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

donut

posted on 17/2/08 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
WOW! that back end looks the nuts! I'd go for the 1st pic (red car)

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scootz

posted on 17/2/08 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
See... that's the problem.

I think the second one looks too chav - a bit too Max Power.

scootz

posted on 17/2/08 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
PS - you have to take into contect the more 'swoopy' rear end of the Spyder as well (best highlighted in the first pic)..
bigrich

posted on 17/2/08 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
chavvy or not i like the can am rear better

just looks more purposeful

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

rf900rush

posted on 17/2/08 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
If you have the right engine then Lewis Hamilton is the only person who has a chance of seeing the rear.
So ask him

RazMan

posted on 17/2/08 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
PS - you have to take into contect the more 'swoopy' rear end of the Spyder as well (best highlighted in the first pic)..

Too much of a contrast in my view - the swoopy bodywork with a spirit level plonked on top. Maybe a slight curve in the spoiler would make it work better with the Spyder or even graft the Canam back end onto the Spyder front . That just doesn't do it for me.
Either way I doubt that it would ever be accused of being chavvy - its not exactly a 'Corsa wiv a big wing innit' kinda car It has road presence oozing from every orifice and the balls to back it up.

Some bigger LED lights would help though ....

[Edited on 17-2-08 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

stevec

posted on 17/2/08 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
Please stop putting pictures of Ultima's on here.
It makes me come over all queer and my legs go jelly. I want one
I want one
Steve.

iank

posted on 17/2/08 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
Yellow one, it would look chav on a Saxo though.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

tegwin

posted on 17/2/08 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
GO for the curvey one....

Looks more sex

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

mistergrumpy

posted on 17/2/08 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
First one mate. definitely. I'd say the Can Am looks too chavvy with that Halfords spoiler on it. Plus like you say you have the nice curvy back end.

caber

posted on 17/2/08 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
Spyder is a much more elegant design bolt on wing looks like a bolt on afterthought. If you go for the can am I'll take the spyder back end for my next project

As I am i Edinburgh I won't even charge you to collect it

Caber

scootz

posted on 17/2/08 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Caber... I'll sleep much better tonight now that I know you're offers on the table!

Gergely

posted on 18/2/08 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
I personally like No. 2 better. The curved one is not very coherent for me. Looks better from the front/side.

No. 2 is a plain design with a big wing. I like it. It says - motorsport

How about No. 2 without a wing if that's chavvy? Or would that be suicidal?

[Edited on 18/2/08 by Gergely]

scootz

posted on 19/2/08 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
Now that the car is here, I can confirm that I will be going with... (drum roll please)... original spolier!!!!

It just somehow looks 'right' when put together.

Also decided that the paint shall be either Audi Misano or Porsche Guards red (bright flat red), the wheels, interior, body grills and fittings shall all be matt black.

A bit like this Exige example...

[Edited on 19/2/08 by scootz]

Fred W B

posted on 19/2/08 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
If you like that colour scheme you'll love this.

I like it a LOT, been looking for an excuse to post the pic

Cheers

Fred W B

red 40 c
red 40 c

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

chriscook

posted on 20/2/08 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
The photo that Razman has posted of the earlier Ultima is of the car in the MIRA wind tunnel. That may or may not say something about any difference between the two options.

(I am not suggesting that I know anything about the aerodynamics of Ultimas just thought it was worth pointing out)

[Edited on 20/2/08 by chriscook]

NS Dev

posted on 22/2/08 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
It does indeed say something Chris!!!

They learnt a lot at MIRA and it all got put to use on the new(a long time ago!) "sharper tailed" bodywork with slightly longer tail and new rear wing.

I didn't know you could spec the old round rear and integral wing to be honest (and I go to the factory pretty often as my mate runs it and its just down the road!! )

PS "halfords" it aint, that spoiler is not cheap, proper carbon autoclaved wing tested to 230mph!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.