Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Megajolt on an XE - any information?
chrsgrain

posted on 20/2/08 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
Megajolt on an XE - any information?

Hi all,

Having problems with my XE engine at the moment - ie it won't start! Got me to thinking, perhaps I should just junk the standard injection system and go for bike carbs and megajolt.... problem is I know nothing about either!

Is there anyone who has some info, or a link to a build diary etc?

Thanks

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

paulf

posted on 20/2/08 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
As long as you can manage to mount a 36 tooth trigger wheel on the front pulley it is a simple installation.You will need the Ford edis and coilpack etc and a Megajolt with a TPS sensor which is often fitted to bike carbs as purchased.
I have a couple of Megajolts available at the moment U2U for details if interested.
Paul.

triumphdave

posted on 20/2/08 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrsgrain
Hi all,

Having problems with my XE engine at the moment - ie it won't start! Got me to thinking, perhaps I should just junk the standard injection system and go for bike carbs and megajolt.... problem is I know nothing about either!

Is there anyone who has some info, or a link to a build diary etc?

Thanks

Chris

I have just installed the XE in my Rush over the winter and have taken the mega jolt bike carb route.If you have any specific questions ,ask away and I will help if I can.The mega jolt install is quite straight forward,and other than my manifold woes,fitting the bike carbs shouldnt be too much of a problem either.

If you always do what you have always done you will always get what you have always got

cossiebri

posted on 20/2/08 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Or you could go to a scrappy and get the ign system off of a mk2 cavalier(that's what we done with a mates) and then get some weber dcoe's(Preff45's)
And (i think) it's only 2 wires to connect

[Edited on 20/2/08 by cossiebri]

If it doesn't fit MODIFY it!!
Cheers BriF

SALAD

posted on 20/2/08 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
I will be using megajolt on mine with twin 40's. I bought it from chriscook on here who was using it on his XE with twin 45's.

I have various parts available, EDIS, VR sensors etc if needs be.....will have to dig them out and see what I have spare.

NS Dev

posted on 20/2/08 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
twin 40's are a bit small, you want 45's as a min, 48's if you get it set up right!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

SALAD

posted on 20/2/08 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, but I've got the 40's here waiting, I got them for an extreamely good price and are immaculate........wouldn't mind some 45's though!
mcerd1

posted on 21/2/08 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Chris,

What ever carbs you go for, its easy enough to get the megajolt bits

I got this lot for about £25 from the local scrapyard (£30 - £40 on ebay)

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/mcerd1/Donor/IMG_4055.jpg

add to that a 36-1 triggerwheel (about £20 on ebay from triggerwheels.com or similar)

if you get bike carbs some have a TPS already, so they save you the hassle (ZX9R + R1 carbs both have a TPS)

The megajolt itself I got from Paulf (see above)

only problem is I still haven't got my engien build to try it all

have a look here for more info on installing it: http://www.cate1.co.uk/megajolt/installation.php

-Robert

DarrenW

posted on 21/2/08 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
In essence it doesnt matter what engine you are fitting it to as the process is basically the same. Its all just wiring apart from mounting the trigger wheel and VR sensor.

I went boggs route for manifold, cost me a bit more than others but totally hassle free.

I cant help thinking though that if you suss out what is wrong with yours, apart from some more head scratching, you will have just as good a result for very little outlay.

Ideally you need to find someone with similar set up who can drive to your house and have a swap session. There cant be that many bits you havent looked at now. Dont assume new bits you have put on are OK until proven to be.

mcerd1

posted on 21/2/08 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
I got my manifold and carbs from bogg's - leke Darren says 'totally hassle free'

chriscook

posted on 21/2/08 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
You will get more power by junking the std injection. I didn't find the Megajolt installation difficult. For my trigger wheel I used a new one from the ford parts bin that cost all of a few quid. I think the part number is floating about here if you do a search. I bolted it to the front pulley and mounted the bracket for the VR sensor on the cam belt cover.

I'm still using the same pulley and pickup for my megasquirt setup.

Stu16v

posted on 21/2/08 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
I thought I had read somewhere that the latest 'squirt/'jolt systems allow the use of the VX 62-1 wheel?

Dont just build it.....make it!

chriscook

posted on 22/2/08 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
The megasquirt will run the 60-2 wheel but i'm still using the EDIS for ignition hence the 36-1 wheel is still there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.