Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How long to build!
bassett

posted on 22/2/08 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
How long to build!

I was just doing some reasearch for a dissertation and found out from a BBC news article it only takes 29 build hours to finish the average Toyota!

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

02GF74

posted on 22/2/08 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
is that assembly of the final parts or include mining the iron ore?

Mr Whippy

posted on 22/2/08 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
yeah but it takes less than that to build as many assembly’s are done in parallel and then only come together at the end. I watched the full process of an old bull nose Morris being built and it took ages over all, yet cars were streaming out the factory.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Humbug

posted on 22/2/08 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
But can they do it for £250?
Mr Whippy

posted on 22/2/08 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
can anyone?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NS Dev

posted on 22/2/08 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bassett
I was just doing some reasearch for a dissertation and found out from a BBC news article it only takes 29 build hours to finish the average Toyota!

mmm, well that must include everything from scratch I would imagine!

The final assembly is MUCH quicker than that!!

To give you some idea, an avensis comes off the line at Toyota Derby (Burnaston) TMUK, every 58 secs if I remember correctly.

Certainly something like that.

We make the door seals for Toyota and Nissan, and current build on the Nissan Qashqai is huge, memory says over 300 cars per day but I cant' remember now as I've been on new projects for a bit.

Certainly we will be making over 1.2 MILLION metres of door seal for the Qashqai alone this year.

The machine I built for processing it on our extrusion lines is handling around 26,000 metres per day.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Mr Whippy

posted on 22/2/08 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
that's over 16 miles a day

so your the guy to get some door seal from

NS Dev

posted on 22/2/08 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
If you want some I'm sure I can sort something out lol!!

Thats just one extrusion line and we run 9 of them!!!!

we scrap over 600 tonnes a year of seals and general epdm waste, just this year got a shredder on site so its all getting crumbed and reused as roadfill etc.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

iank

posted on 22/2/08 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
<teaching grannie to suck eggs>
But that 58 secs is the time of the longest production step on the line not the time to make one car - it's a bit of a meaningless figure unless you know the number of manufacturing steps - and even then a lot of those will be parallel.

To make one car the time is the wall clock time from the start of the first step to the end of the last step. But 29 hours still seems much too long for that unless you take smelting the iron ore etc into account, manufacturing the glass etc.

</teaching grannie to suck eggs>

[Edited on 22/2/08 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

speedyxjs

posted on 22/2/08 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
can anyone?

Good ol' uncle Ron can
I read somewhere that the best so far is something like £49?

[Edited on 22-2-08 by speedyxjs]

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Puk

posted on 22/2/08 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah by the inmates of Brixton Nick

Before you judge a guy, walk a mile in his shoes. Then when you judge him, you're a mile a way and you've nicked his shoes.

iank

posted on 22/2/08 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
IIRC the record is held by a scrapyard owner so I suspect it will never be beaten.

p.s. none of the figures seem to include such consumable stuff as engine oil or brake pads, and certainly not DVLA/SVA costs.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

NS Dev

posted on 22/2/08 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
<teaching grannie to suck eggs>
But that 58 secs is the time of the longest production step on the line not the time to make one car - it's a bit of a meaningless figure unless you know the number of manufacturing steps - and even then a lot of those will be parallel.

To make one car the time is the wall clock time from the start of the first step to the end of the last step. But 29 hours still seems much too long for that unless you take smelting the iron ore etc into account, manufacturing the glass etc.

</teaching grannie to suck eggs>

[Edited on 22/2/08 by iank]

hmmm, tricky one!!

I have spent a fair few hours in the Toyota plant over the last few years.

Every key process there is ticking along with the "line clock" i.e. hitting TACT time, and the body presses do a panel set in the same time as the spray shop does the paint, in the same time that the carpet fitters fit the carpets etc etc etc

So you could say that the time to build "a car" is precess time x process steps..................

BUT, in 8 hours, the plant ejects around 500 cars and consumes 500 cars worth of "raw parts", so, in reality the build time per car is just that, 58 secs (which incidentally i am sure I am wrong with, it must be more that that, that is possibly the auris and avensis combined output on all variants??)

You are implying "man hours" of production time, which is not the "manufacturing time" (and neither is it the "machine time" or anything else.

There are not banks of cars awaiting the same operation either, the process is straight line flow, all variants go down the same line, built to orders received from dealers, so each car on the line is usually different (i.e. colours, trim parts, engines etc etc) which is not at all how you imagine these things to be!!

as a supplier, we have to supply enough parts to make the daily calloff, in 3 lots, 3 times per day, revised daily, so the manufacturing time, regardless of number of processes and people involved, is the mythical 58 secs, or at some point they would run out of parts or have a car stockpile, neither of which would please the japanese!

[Edited on 22/2/08 by NS Dev]

tks

posted on 22/2/08 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
58seconds...

that cant be true....

to build a car you have to split up the figures in 2 things...

- assembling
- manufactureing the parts

The total assembling time is the time difference when a car spec enters the line and when its completed.

the difference between the car outputs could be 58seconds...

but that doesn't tell you that it takes 58 seconds to assemble a car..

(maybe that car was 3days untherway from start to finish...)

anyway if you take into account the time it cost to assemble and lathe and turn and make every single component...until the last nut i think you will reach even more than 29hours!!

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

Mr Whippy

posted on 22/2/08 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
hmm interesting stuff, you have to marvel at the coordination of the whole process

Fred W B

posted on 22/2/08 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
As ND dev says, the 29 hours will be the manhours in total to build one car (costed time) , not the actual process time

You have more than one man in each assembly station.

If the 29 hours is right, and the 58 seconds is right, we can deduce that the plant has a staff of 1800 people to produce one car every 58 seconds, assuming a 8 hour work day

Not sure if the 29 hours is considering only "direct" assembly line workers (blue collar) or also including "indirects" (white collar) -engineering, procuring, HR, management etc

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 22/2/08 by Fred W B]

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

milson

posted on 22/2/08 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
i work for honda and we turn out 612 a day
Simon

posted on 22/2/08 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
The Deimos production line turns out 0.000839631 car a day

ATB

Simon

NS Dev

posted on 22/2/08 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by milson
i work for honda and we turn out 612 a day

Maybe the 58 secs was right, you'll probably know the Toyota numbers better that I do!

Nissan are the biggest output in the uk as far as I know but again i can't remember the numbers. Pretty sure Qashqai alone is over 300 per day, plus micra, micra cc and who knows what else, I've forgotten what all the bloody model codes are in plain english!!

I used to work a lot with the customers but i now am involved more in plant and machine design and installation, which is great fun, challenging, but I don't get to toyota and nissan so often now.

PS we supply you at Honda as well, civic moonroof seal, few other civic bits and a fair bit via pilkington in terms of dam seal and stuff.

RK

posted on 23/2/08 at 02:46 AM Reply With Quote
I am sure you can do everything for 250 if you don't count fuel, oil etc plus testing costs, IF you are a mechanic, know a scrappy, scrounge a free car for a donor, have the odd bit thrown at your for nothing, and don't care what you use for tires, wheels etc. To look like anything we see in the pics nowadays, I am sure 5 - 10 K quid is normal, for normal people. My experience with scrapyards is that prices are as high as new in some cases, so EBay has provided the majority of my parts.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.