Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BEC life expectancy
jlparsons

posted on 15/3/08 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
BEC life expectancy

How many miles would a BEC or the equivalent bike be expected to do before pops and black smoke spoil the party? I know it ain't going to outlast the bmw, but I was wondering. I intend to use it quite a bit, see.

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

ReMan

posted on 15/3/08 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote

[Edited on 15/3/08 by ReMan]

jlparsons

posted on 15/3/08 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
Miles?

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

ReMan

posted on 15/3/08 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
My blade engine had 37000 thrashed imported streetfighted miles on it.
I changed the oil and apart from my current gearbox issues and a new clutch, the motor is still strong.

Not going off the idea are you

jlparsons

posted on 15/3/08 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
Na, just wondering how many engines I'm going to get through. It all part of the R1/zx12/busa/zx14 cost-benefit analysis. In other words, what I can get past the wife.

zx12 looks to be leading at present.

worX

posted on 15/3/08 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
Just look after as you would expect for the driving you are going to do "to it"...

Bike engines ARE NOT the fragile lumps of plasticine that some people would have you believe. They were designed and constructed by giants of the engineering industry to live at high revs, and just because they are now moving a bit more weight that has very little impact on the parts of the engine you are worried about.

Upgrade your clutch, use the best oil and OEM filter and rag the crap out of it...

Steve

jlparsons

posted on 15/3/08 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by worX
Upgrade your clutch, use the best oil and OEM filter and rag the crap out of it...

Steve

Rag the crap out of it - Done.

Upgrade clutch - you mean an aftermarket replacement for the stock part, or something more involved?

Puk

posted on 15/3/08 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
Well to be fair though a bike motor with 50k on it would normally be considered old. If you longevity is a priority what about a BMW K1000 or 1200 motor? They have car like life expectancy, a shaft that turns the "right" way and there is a derivative with reverse. They are not as peaky as a UJM, tuned more for torque.

To good to be true - well they're old mans bikes so don't tend to be flung down the road as often as Blades.

Before you judge a guy, walk a mile in his shoes. Then when you judge him, you're a mile a way and you've nicked his shoes.

jlparsons

posted on 15/3/08 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
Oddly enough I was just looking at BMW engines, but I think if I'm going BEC it's got to be a jap crotch-rocket engine. 50k will do me fine, if by that time I find half the horses have gone up in smoke I'll fit whatever bike engine/fuel cell/antigravity drive is available at the time.

PS Unless of course red ken is PM by then, in which case I'll probably buy a horse.

[Edited on 15/3/08 by jlparsons]

graememk

posted on 15/3/08 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
this would make a good donor, shaft turns the right way too, just needs rocker cover

ebay number

worX

posted on 15/3/08 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
A general recommendation for upgrading the clutch is to remove the entire clutch assembly and using a decent micrometer/vernier, measure the thickness of the clutch plates. If they are within factory tolerances then use them. The second thing to do is to replace the friction plates with STANDARD OEM ones, but only if they are worn obviously!
Then you can upgrade the clutch springs with aftermarket items (often from Barnett) which are heavier duty and will easily cope with the additional weight of the car over the bike...

HTH
Steve
quote:
Originally posted by jlparsons
Rag the crap out of it - Done.

Upgrade clutch - you mean an aftermarket replacement for the stock part, or something more involved?

jlparsons

posted on 15/3/08 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
Good to know, thanks mate.

kastrato

posted on 15/3/08 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
I second steves opinion, check the clutch plates both friction and metal ones and if need changing replace them with the OEM ones, they tend to be the strongest (trust me I have try most of them and I found that the OEM Honda ones are the best, ofcourse I have a honda engine, dont put honda plates into kawasaki engine wont fit. For springs use the Barnett there are the best and dont cost a fortune, they make a difference.
By the way my personal opinion is that the honda engines are bulletproof (not the fastest but there are the most reliable)
My MK blade has a 1995 honda fireblade engine and I am abuse it a lot because I use my car only for trackdays in Greece during summer with tremendus heat and the car is coping fine with that.
There is also a 2008 R1 turbo in my garage that having all sorts of problems all the time, but it is not OEM that is why it is having problems.
The 2005 ZX-12 that used to live in my garage as well had always gearbox problems and the K5 Suzuki GSXR (Used to be in the family too) was very advance technological but it lasted only 6 months them died in my mates hands. The hayabusa never had any problems though.
To make it clear the ZX-12, the K5 and the busa never used on a car there all lived and die as motorbike but this can gives you a general feel of how reliable are certain models. Also I want to mentioned that the K5 died because of a VW Golf when my mate landed in his rear window, mechanicly the K5 was reliable the frame was fake and not repairable (that is why the K5 was so lightweight...)
The Zx-12 has some gearbox problems since the early days and always was overheating but died because of a wheeliee and not because of any engine problems.
And finally the busa penetrated a Citroen C2 last summer. Having an idea of all these different motorbikes my next engine will be a busa nothing else compared to the torgue of the busa and it is reliable as well but not as reliable is a Honda.
Due to the gearbox problems I wouldn't get a kawasaki my self.
I hope I did not make you bored to death with all these and sorry for my english... it is all greek to me you see..

MK INDY fireblade

Dangle_kt

posted on 15/3/08 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
I have heard of many an old fireblade doing 100,000 miles + without a rebuild!

I've owned a fair few bikes and blades just run like clockwork, they are very well engineered bikes.

jlparsons

posted on 15/3/08 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
I do like the blade I've got to say, and the R1 for that matter. These stories of blade reliability only reinforce that. If I was doing a track day only car i'd just stick a blade engine in, it's the low down torque on the zx12\14 that i like the look of for everyday driving rather than the higher bhp.

Well ok, bhp is good too.

skydivepaul

posted on 15/3/08 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
i bust one engine and one gearbox in a year. both were second hand units and i did drive it like i stole it

http://www.smartideasuk.com
http://www.smartmapping.co.uk
HD CCTV
3D design solutions and integration
IP security systems
access control systems

mad-butcher

posted on 15/3/08 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
maybe not BEC but my old F2 honda would tour europe without a mutter my old triumph T110 however was lucky if it could make it to the dragon rally,but having said that you could (and I have done on several occassions ) a crank rebuild at side of the road using a silver foil meat pie tray between crank and big shell...the blade in my indy has had the nuts thrashed out of it and still comes back for more
tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.