Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Learning to Arc weld
trogdor

posted on 16/3/08 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
Learning to Arc weld

Hey all, have spent the day trying to weld, i first tried to MIG weld but the welder we have is rubbish, was very difficult to get a decent wire feed from it.

Much Prefer arc welding, once i managed to strike a Arc that is! Will post a picture of my welding so far want to know what people think. Hope to be able to weld the thinner stuff, have only used 3mm angle bars so far. I know people much prefer MIG but i don't see the appeal in it. ARC seems easier, tho i have access to a much better ARC welder than MIG.

Cheers

trikerneil

posted on 16/3/08 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
You might find stick welding a bit more difficult with thinner material.
I know I do.

MIG is better on thin stuff and you won't get slag inclusions either.

Neil

ACE Cafe - Just say No.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
trogdor

posted on 16/3/08 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
Doh, the images are far too big to put on and i have no software with me to edit them. Will do it at work tomorrow.

Alex B

posted on 16/3/08 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
An Inverter Arc welder is good for a Locost chassis. Light and portable too.

Alex

Much work still remains to be done before I can announce my total failure to make any progress

andrew-theasby

posted on 16/3/08 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Microsoft paint will do it, click image, then stretch/skew and choose percentage
trogdor

posted on 16/3/08 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
you learn something new everyday! Didn't know paint could do that. here are the pics Rescued attachment arc.JPG
Rescued attachment arc.JPG

trogdor

posted on 16/3/08 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
heres another angle Rescued attachment arc1.JPG
Rescued attachment arc1.JPG

trogdor

posted on 16/3/08 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
yet another Rescued attachment arc2.JPG
Rescued attachment arc2.JPG

trogdor

posted on 16/3/08 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
and finally Rescued attachment arc3.JPG
Rescued attachment arc3.JPG

jacko

posted on 16/3/08 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry but if thats your welding with a arc welder dont use it

I know MIG will be far easier for you after a bit of practice and easier for thin box
Iv been a welder for 35 years
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
trogdor

posted on 16/3/08 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
so more practise is in order then? i don't particularly want to use MIG, i didn't like using it. Will keep at the ARC welding, would like to use TIG but is just too expensive.

owelly

posted on 16/3/08 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry if this is a serious post but that welding isn't........
Just weld two pieces of steel together. A weld about 10mm long and try to break it. If it comes apart, it's not a weld. If you take away the slag from those 'welds', ther'll be no metal there!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

NigeEss

posted on 16/3/08 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
I find the trick with arc is to go slow and do a weld that looks 3 times as wide as
you want. Then when you break off the slag you've a weld that's just right.

jacko

posted on 16/3/08 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
If you do a good weld with arc the slag will peel off its self no chipping hammer

you would be far better of with a mig practise with the mig not arc

+ arc is a lot hotter it will distorts the chassis etc more then mig
Jacko

locoboy

posted on 16/3/08 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
You say you much prefer arc over mig yet you say the mig you tried is not running right and does not maintain a set wire speed.

I much preferred my trusty pinto over my initial run with the R1 engine..............................

that was until the R1 was breathing right.

Its all in the machine set up.

ATB
Locoboy

trogdor

posted on 17/3/08 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
the MIG welder i have will never run right as the wire feed motor runs off the same transformer as the arc producing one. Presumably to cut costs, it wasn't too bad at 3mm metal but with the thinner stuff the wire feed was so erratic it was ridiculous.

Will keep at the ARC, have only been doing it for 30 mins, can't expect wonders. Besides the welds were strong, i couldn't break them with anything i had to hand.

Mr Whippy

posted on 17/3/08 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
I think going by your pics, you’re moving to fast. With arc you really need to move the rod from side to side and make the arc work i.e. watch for the arc jumping from one piece to the other, rather than it floating around in the gap between, remember it’s lazy and only wants to take the shortest path. Only move on then you see the puddle build up. Try to get as close as you can to the weld as you will see much clearer what is happening, even if you hand is no longer in front of your face, one of the disadvantages I found with arc over mig. I like being very close to the weld for better precision but the tint must be quite dark, by the way how dark is your lenses? Is it enough to actually make out the arc or is it just a blinding blur?

I'd recommend you still have a go at sorting the mig out, wire fed is always a bit naff but can be sorted. If it's sticky the wire feed tube may need replacing, try just pressing the button with the cable straight and then coiling the cable, if the wire feed speed starts to slow down or even stops then I'd change the feed tube. Also look at how tight the wire spool is, it should only be tight enough to stop the wire unwinding by itself. You can buy a spray from good welding shops that acts as a lubricant for the wire which I now use and it makes a big difference. The wire spool motor isn’t supplied by the transformer but just shares the same supply. Keep the wire feed as straight as possible, even if that involves moving the welder to a better spot as you’ll find much less wear occurs and the feed is more reliable.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

trogdor

posted on 17/3/08 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
excellent i was hoping for some critical judgment, will try and move slower, have brought some 1.25mm angle steel, if i can weld that well i will be on my way. My visor is ok, i can see the arc fine with it down, forgot to do it once, won't do that again in a hurry!

The MIG welder i have has a design fault in that to get the wire feed to run smoothly while welding you need to add a transformer for it. There is a mod guide on the Internet somewhere. I spent a some time getting it to feed properly, new liner etc. Will practice with the stick as i don't have to faff with wire or gas, both of which i am not keen on.

Dangle_kt

posted on 17/3/08 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
I'm learning at the mo, and I find that welding on flat is MUCH easier than lap joints etc.

If you lay it down right the slag peels itself off, and leaves a lovely looking weld underneath.

Got to say my welds did look a little like yours at first, which to be honest aren't very good. There are big blobs, and then nothing (looks a bit like bird poo!) which obviously isn't strong, and then other bits it looks like you have carried on welding over the top of another weld without chipping of the slag first.

Another point is that I found it easy to get an arc going by having the amps set REAL high, problem being when I came to the end of the metal I would just blow a massive hole in it, and it looks like you have done the same mate. (look at the top of one of the peices of angle, about 1/2 cm is missing)

Try dropping the amps a little, going slower, watching the arc length (you want it about as long as the welding rod is wide- or so I read and it seems to work). Try weaving back and forth slowly, it will slow you down and make you concentrate more - plus it makes a nicer looking/stronger weld.

All in all I think it's a good effort, but I would NOT risk welding anything structural yet until your welds are much improved.

I'm not trying to have a go, I was doing the same a few weeks ago, but lots of practise, taking your time and distructive tests are in order. Try welding two flats together, end to end, that will give you plenty of leverage to break it, what you want is the metal to TEAR before the weld gives way, thay shows a good strong weld. If you can't break it with anything at hand, then you arn't trying hard enough!

It aint play dough, and so it's going to feel really strong, even if its a rubbish weld - after all it is metal.

It is a good effort though, I love welding it's like playing with lego again, but betterer!

[Edited on 17/3/08 by Dangle_kt]

trogdor

posted on 17/3/08 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt

All in all I think it's a good effort, but I would NOT risk welding anything structural yet until your welds are much improved.

I'm not trying to have a go, I was doing the same a few weeks ago, but lots of practise, taking your time and distructive tests are in order. Try welding two flats together, end to end, that will give you plenty of leverage to break it, what you want is the metal to TEAR before the weld gives way, thay shows a good strong weld. If you can't break it with anything at hand, then you arn't trying hard enough!

[Edited on 17/3/08 by Dangle_kt]

Thank you for your comments, its what i was hoping to get, i wanted pointers on how to improve, hopefully with all these comments i can get better!

Will actually prepare the metal properly this time! ie so it isn't dirty corroded slightly and has no gaps of about 3mm. Don't worry am not planning to weld anything structural until i am much better! It is lots of fun, tho all the safety gear is very hot!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.