Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Laptops with 9 pin coms port
Simon

posted on 18/3/08 at 12:18 AM Reply With Quote
Laptops with 9 pin coms port

Chaps,

I have an old laptop and loaded the Emerald software, only to find I couldn't connect the coms lead supplied by Emerald.

Have been looking at the £250ish range of Dell lap tops, but they don't seem to have port. Can they be added easily, or can anyone recommend a make that has them.

I know there's some s/h one available on here, but we want for other things as well, so want to spend a bit more than nothing on one, so to speak.

Thanks

ATB

Simon

Simon

posted on 18/3/08 at 12:46 AM Reply With Quote
Ahaaa, I can get an adaptor

ATB

Simon

lsdweb

posted on 18/3/08 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
Simon

Emerald now do a USB to serial adaptor - here

Cheaper ones are available but Emerald have issued a warning about using these!

I've ordered the Emerald one!

Wyn

takumi

posted on 18/3/08 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
£18.99! +vat +postage, omg...
NOooooo

Get the same thing from ebay for £2.98 delivered..!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-to-RS232-RS-232-Serial-Cable-Converter-Adapter-C42_W0QQitemZ220213029074QQihZ012QQcategoryZ41993QQssPageNameZ WDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

They have a chipset built into the serial plug, (by 'Prolific' so when you plug it into the USB port, the adapter gets assigned a 'virtual' COM port, which you tell the software to use to communicate with your serial peripheral via the USB port.. very clever. The adapter appears in the 'Device Manager' , where it tells you the virtual COM port.

Mine works fine with megajolt -I paid through the nose at £5..!

Don't forget quidco for extra pennies savings..

-tak

[Edited on 18-3-08 by takumi]

David Jenkins

posted on 18/3/08 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
If you look at the Megajolt forum you'll see that many people have had problems with these USB - serial adaptors, especially when trying to put the firmware on the MJ unit. The software author has had to suggest all sorts of work-arounds to get people working.

It seems that they're nowhere near as reliable as the proper port.

[Edited on 18/3/08 by David Jenkins]

RazMan

posted on 18/3/08 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
It appears they do a Vista version too
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300206409696&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:uk

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 18/3/08 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
We have had this problem at work since laptops stopped having proper RS232 ports fitted.
There are at least two different USB<->RS232 chipsets out there. One works well, the other fails regularly (I believe it doesn't handle RTS/CTS properly but don't quote me on that).

If you must buy a model you don't know for certain works make sure you can return it for a full refund. Personally I'd get the Emerald one - if it doesn't work it's one less thing to suspect/replace.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Mansfield

posted on 18/3/08 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
I have had problems with USB to serial too, different application but ours uses the Prolific driver.

Answer, so I am told, is a PC card with serial output. Card should be here soon @ £20 from ebuyer.

RazMan

posted on 18/3/08 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mansfield
Answer, so I am told, is a PC card with serial output. Card should be here soon @ £20 from ebuyer.

So it that a pcmcia card?

Worth mentioning that some of the better lappies (IBM in particular) have port replicators which seem to get over the connectivity issues quite well (at least they did in my case) They can be a bit bulky though - a bit like having a desktop system on your lap while mapping the car!

[Edited on 18-3-08 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bimbleuk

posted on 18/3/08 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
From my experience I would get one that has been tested with your intended ECU. However even though I did this for my OMEX ECU one firmware update managed break the connection. They had to issue another update to fix the error! So ideally get an older laptop with a serial port.
BenB

posted on 18/3/08 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
The advantage of going for the Emerald one is that it's going to work.

Serial-USB converters can be a bit pernickity and if an Ebay spectacular doesn't work with the Emerald, by the time you've packaged it up again, walked to the post office, paid postage etc you'll have lost any saving you made by not paying £20 in the first place....

lsdweb

posted on 18/3/08 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
Emerald warn about using anything other than their adaptor and indicate that if you get it wrong the ECU will need to go back for a £60 repair!

I've got the bit of paper that says it - I'll try and find it.

Wyn

David Jenkins

posted on 18/3/08 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
It makes you wonder why they don't just fit a USB port instead of RS232 - it's not exactly rocket science any more, and just about every Laptop has at least one USB port.

Rob Lane

posted on 18/3/08 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
Or you could buy a cheap laptop just to program the emerald. See saxoboys ad in for sale, I just bought one and it's excellent. Serial port as well.
Simon

posted on 18/3/08 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
Rob

I have a laptop, just no serial plug.

I'll get the Emerald jobby, and hopefully this weekend try and the the car running

ATB

Simon

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.