Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: painting fibreglass
blakep82

posted on 29/3/08 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
painting fibreglass

if i was to spray paint fibreglass, what kind of primer do i need, what type of paint? (just to practise with, maybe waterbased?)

a friend was telling me theres a kind of sealer you need to spray in the fibreglass first to stop the resin reacting with the paint, and then prime, them paint.

if my fibreglass is already painted though, can i just key it, and put primer over that?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Syd Bridge

posted on 29/3/08 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
A good two pack primer will take straight on to gel or grp that's been properly sanded and dewaxed. Preferably epoxy based, as this will seal the surface.

That's how it's been done on boats for donkeys years, and even the way they do the Aston Martin panels made but a mile or so from me.

Cheers,
Syd.

Spyderman

posted on 29/3/08 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
Cellulose primer and paint will work fine with fibre glass. Just make sure the surface is grease free and well flatted.
Probably the cheapest way as well.

Spyderman

blakep82

posted on 29/3/08 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
thats guys! the guy that told me about sealing it first has be working on cars as a hobby for years and years and years, so not sure what kind of paint he was thinking

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

twybrow

posted on 29/3/08 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
Just spray gelcoat. It sprays well if you buy sprayable stuff, or add acetone to normal stuff. That way, you just have to abrade, degrease then spray! Plus, if you scratch it, the colour goes all the way through!

BenB

posted on 29/3/08 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
Shouldn't that be flowcoat? If you spray gelcoat unless it's in an air-free environment it won't go off...
twybrow

posted on 29/3/08 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
Flow coat is effectively gelcoat with wax solution added. You would only need that for the topcoat. It prevents the surface from remaining tacky when finished.

blakep82

posted on 29/3/08 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
can you do interesting clours with gel/flow coat? like metallics or paint flips? gelcoat on fibreglass always looks plastic to me...

twybrow

posted on 29/3/08 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
You can do metallic, but it is not the same depth of colour as paint due to the lack of laquer. Flip paints - kinda. Have a look here.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.