Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DIY will?????
Monkeybasher

posted on 1/4/08 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
DIY will?????

Hope this isn't too depressing, but everyone should realise the importance of a will.

I have a will but it hasn't been updated since the birth of my first son.

Being a locost site does anybody know of a decent free will I can download and fill in the blanks. All I want is if I die wife gets all, if she dies I get all, if we both die child get all and we can specify a guardian.

Should i just pay for one? or can I download one?

Hopefully someone can help me and many others who have put it off or forgotten about it.

Cheers

Steve

Mr Whippy

posted on 2/4/08 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
Do you actually need one in your situation? I thought legally the spouse or the remaining children automatically have right to any assets? (though I suspect the greedy government will want a share) Are will's not for dividing up assets over many relatives…hmm there’s a point what happens if (god forbid) all of you are gone, then what? Maybe you have to think also about the worst case scenario as well.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 2/4/08 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
I think the problem comes when some relative of the deceased turns up and demands a share on the basis that 'they were told they would get the house by auntie maud'. If there isn't a will it gets messy and high price lawyers get involved.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Macbeast

posted on 2/4/08 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
W H Smith and others have will kits.

Even when it's as simple as yours it's important to make a will and to lodge it with your bank or solicitor for safe keeping in case you and your house are all wiped out by a crashing aeroplane.

You should also specify an executor which will be a) your spouse or
b) your solicitor
or c) someone you trust and who agrees
Your signature on the will has to be witnessed by two persons WHO ARE NOT BENEFICIARIES UNDER THE WILL (eg not your spouse in this case )

jobsagooden

posted on 2/4/08 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
It's a common misunderstanding that if you die without a will your spouse gets everything. THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN! If you die without a will you die in testate (think thats the right term) and all hell breaks loose and anyone with the loosest argument can argue a case for getting something.

You don't have to go to a solicitor for wills anymore you can get an independent will writer and these guys are much cheaper.

iank

posted on 2/4/08 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
The term is intestate (one word) but otherwise correct.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Mr Whippy

posted on 2/4/08 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
do a 'video' will, like you see on the telly. Then you get a chance to tell Aunty Meg just how much her baking stinks

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Confused but excited.

posted on 3/4/08 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.