Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: XE crank pulley
triumphdave

posted on 5/4/08 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
XE crank pulley

I have been speaking to a few people about XE engines in general over the last couple of months,and it seems a few have had problems with the crank pulley bolt coming loose and knackering valves etc.I suppose it could be down to not torquing it down correctly.My question is can anyone foresee any problems with adding some stud loc to the bolt?.Has anybody know of this bolt coming loose on a properly torqued one?

If you always do what you have always done you will always get what you have always got

jollygreengiant

posted on 5/4/08 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
Don't use stud lock.
Never had a problem with one coming undone, however some are stretch bolts and should NOT be reused. buy a new one from main stealers if you are unsure and do it up to the correct torque/angle.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

chriscook

posted on 5/4/08 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
Given the torque spec is something like 250Nm + 40-50deg I suspect that those that have come loose have not been done up tight enough or they have re-used an old bolt (or both). To the get crank pulley bolt done up I always borrow a 750Nm torque wrench from work and turn it right up after I've done the 250Nm bit.

I think SBD say to lubricate the threads not use threadlock.

Chris

MkIndy7

posted on 5/4/08 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jollygreengiant
buy a new one from main stealers if you are unsure and do it up to the correct torque/angle.

I was told there no longer available from the VX dealers when I was after one a few months back so I re-used the old one, probably done about 2k harsh ish miles since no problems.

cidersurfer

posted on 5/4/08 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
New bolts are available from Autovaux. Got one last month...

People seem to think the woodruff keys is there to aid rotation. It's not. It's only a locator for the pulley. The bolt needs to be wound right up or chances are the woodruff will fail and cause an expensive bill...

shimming solid lifters is a job for a friend...

david walker

posted on 5/4/08 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
XE crank bolts should be oiled for assembly and loctite should not be used. Also they are not a stretch bolt - would take some stretching wouldn't they!

Dave Walker, Race Engine Services - 07957 454659 or 01636 671277

jollygreengiant

posted on 5/4/08 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
If they are not stretch bolts then why do they need replacing.

They need replacing because when you do them up you 'exceed' the bolts elastic limit. I think that by definition that kinda makes it a 'stretch' bolt.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

chriscook

posted on 5/4/08 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
Got mine from a vauxhall dealer a month or so ago no problem.
triumphdave

posted on 7/4/08 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cidersurfer
New bolts are available from Autovaux. Got one last month...

Can confirm.Ordered one today.Thanks

If you always do what you have always done you will always get what you have always got

vinnievector

posted on 7/4/08 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
Belts and braces

If you have any doubts ,torq your new bolt to recomended load drill a 1 16 hole one flat to the other and one into the pulley and wire lock . have got picks if your not sure wot i mean or how to wire lock
NS Dev

posted on 7/4/08 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
The bolt should be replaced as its cheap enough insurance and the torx heads get mangled after one undo anyway.

Don't use threadlock, you'll NEVER get it undone again.

lockwire would be as much use as a chocolate fireguard on this bolt!!!!

if the bolt comes loose it shears the entire keyway out, don't think a bit of lockwire is going to help much!!!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.