Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: LOCOBLADE Spring Ratings
bjw970s

posted on 16/4/08 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
LOCOBLADE Spring Ratings

Can anyone advise on the spring poundage they use for a BEC?

One of my more experienced racing friends was surprised by the spring rate on my newly refurbished car.

It started life as a crossflow and was converted to Bike prior to me buying it - my mate suspects that the springs weren't revised as part of the conversion

Any pointers welcomed.

As someone else once said 'LOCOST my Ar**

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Crazy Eddie

posted on 16/4/08 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
My megablade came with 200 fronts and 150 rears.
I find this good. However, others have said it may be a bit low and that they would go for higher.

Down to driving styles and how you would like the car to handle really but at least this gives you one option.
Cheers
Eddie

www.EdwardsSchoolOfMotoring.co.uk
For online shopping that earns you money : Ei42.com

bjw970s

posted on 16/4/08 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks,

Driving style is a point well made.

My mate runs a suzuku TL1000 in his selfbuilt 'Fletcher hornet' his are very soft as he tends to take a heck of a lot of curb when racing.....

Having only sprinted mine so far, I am not keen to change anything just yet! just after some pointers.

As it has been corner weighted etc - I will leave as is with the shock asborber settings tweeked, till after Brands Hatch in 2 weeks

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisGamlin

posted on 16/4/08 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
Is it live axle or IRS / De Dion?

Although you can get a rough guide from others, don't forget that you can only really compare against other cars that are IDENTICAL suspension geometry wise as yours, by that I mean the same wishbones, the same pickup locations on the chassis etc etc, because a 1" movement of a damper pickup for example could mean a 25-50lb difference in spring requirement for the same effective springrate due to the different angles etc.

Chris

mark chandler

posted on 16/4/08 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
It also depends on you wishbones, with book bones the shock sits ~ 1/3 in on the bone so this acts as a lever so a 180lb spring on the road will act like a 120lb spring. Also the angle has some affect.

On mine at the front the shock points at the lower ball joint so no real leverage at the front but this is at an angle, mine are 230lb springs which probally equates to 200lb in reality.

On the rear they are upright but 1/4 way in on the IRS bone , although 150lb springs the actual road rate will be nearer 120lb.

Regards Mark

[Edited on 16/4/08 by mark chandler]

bjw970s

posted on 17/4/08 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the points.

I am running a live axled, Stewart Taylor chassis I can post some pics of it - I have loads of the re-build!

I will run it at Brands and decide whether to go further..........

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.