Board logo

Driving holiday - 26th July-8th August
flak monkey - 21/4/08 at 12:01 PM

I am planning on doing a driving holidya in the GTS this summer. Was going to do the west coast of france, but it seemed like extra hassle.

The basic plan is:

Day 1: Drive from Norfolk to Derbyshire and stop overnight in a B&B or at a campsite.

Day 2: Continue up to the lake district or yorkshire and stop overnight again.

Day 3: Continue up to Pitlochry, take in the distillerys and stop overnight.

Day 4: Drive up to Fort Augustus to begin the route, which would essentially be this one: http://www.stevecarter.com/bestuk.htm

Which I have driven most of before on various scottish holidays, and the roads are fantastic. Over night stops would be in B&B or camping (there are several campsites on the route). Take in Applecross and the Lochs.

Basically I am intending to do this holiday anyway, but it would be great to have some company, even if its just 1 other car. I thought it would be nice to meet up with people on the way up if possible and they could join the route for some or all of it.

Anyway, if anyone is interested, let me know.

Cheers,
David

[Edited on 10/6/08 by flak monkey]

nick205 - 21/4/08 at 12:09 PM

Sounds fantastic - sadly I cannot partake

Might be a good idea to collate a list of friendly Locosters along the route who could provide support (not saying you'll have problems) and the odd cup of tea/tyre kicking session.

You'll have to keep a decent photo diary as well!

Mr Whippy - 21/4/08 at 12:11 PM

have to admit the roads out there rock, just watch out for all the bikers, in the summer they out number the midges

mackei23b - 21/4/08 at 12:39 PM

Hi David

I should have my car on the road by then, I'm sending off the paperwork in the next couple of weeks for the SVA. I'm based in Edinburgh, but could meet up for a bit of the Scottish section.

An alternative for day three could be up the west via Glencoe, then onwards to the Fort . There is still plenty whisky at the Claighaig Inn (www.clachaig.com) and admire the view of the 'Pap of Glencoe'!

Cheers

Ian

mangogrooveworkshop - 21/4/08 at 12:40 PM

Might be svad by then

Mr Whippy - 21/4/08 at 12:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mackei23b
Hi David

I should have my car on the road by then, I'm sending off the paperwork in the next couple of weeks for the SVA. I'm based in Edinburgh, but could meet up for a bit of the Scottish section.

An alternative for day three could be up the west via Glencoe, then onwards to the Fort . There is still plenty whisky at the Claighaig Inn (www.clachaig.com) and admire the view of the 'Pap of Glencoe'!

Cheers

Ian

Fortwilliam! it rains almost all the time there

mangogrooveworkshop - 21/4/08 at 03:16 PM

Dont tell fibs I was there in april and the sun shone all the time.......wind was another story

speedyxjs - 21/4/08 at 03:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop

Dont tell fibs I was there in april and the sun shone all the time.......wind was another story

I was there a couple of weeks ago and must agree with whippy. Rained 5 of the 7 days but i dont mind the rain

pif - 21/4/08 at 06:36 PM

dont mind meeting up for a blat on the derbyshire leg, been to work and back today in the indy over the cat and fiddle **

flak monkey - 21/4/08 at 08:59 PM

Excellent, sounds like there is some interest at least.

If anyone is on/near the route then let me know and I will take it into account when planning the route. I'll work out a more detailed route over the next week or so, when I get time to sit at my PC for a change! So people have a better idea of what the plan is. Obviously the route would be dynamic, if there are certain places/people that people want to see/visit.

David

gingerpaule - 29/4/08 at 10:46 AM

Don't want to commit just yet obviously but I might be interested in this. I quite fancy exploring Scotland a bit more.

flak monkey - 10/6/08 at 06:48 AM

About time I bumped this I think as it draws ever nearer. Please let me know if you are interested in joining us.

Cheers,
David

phoenix70 - 10/6/08 at 12:32 PM

Hope you get good weather and you enjoy our lovely countryside.

I take it you will be coming up the A9 (Just watch out for the speed cameras)

Might be able to cruise up to Pitlochry with you from Perth... weather dependant (I'm a fair weather driver ..... I know I know, what a wimp)

saren1986 - 16/6/08 at 05:49 PM

woo you know i will be coming babe. will be fun to meet new people, see new places etc. xxxx

DarrenW - 16/6/08 at 06:05 PM

What is a "Devian Tart"????

(see sig above)

saren1986 - 25/6/08 at 10:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
What is a "Devian Tart"????

(see sig above)

hehe that is me visit the site if you're not sure lol. my area is http://saren1986.deviantart.com