Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: cleaning /restoring ali
bracey

posted on 23/4/08 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
cleaning /restoring ali

after finding out best product to clean ali with ,tried auto glym metal polish but doesnt seem strong enough ,not trying to get mirror finish just remove water staining oxydization ?etc
cheers
richard

zetec7

posted on 23/4/08 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
I've had my best success with Autosol & elbow grease... I found the Auto Glym was quite a bit finer than the Autosol. Great for shining, but it didn't cut as well to get down to a polishable finish.

http://www.freewebs.com/zetec7/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DarrenW

posted on 23/4/08 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
Maguires all metal polysh. Seems to add a protective layer to last a little longer. Defo worth a try. Got my small tub from Halfords.

Try a search on this subject - i recall seeing some good recommendations before. Bottom line seems to be though that keeping ali looking good is a chew on.

dave1888

posted on 23/4/08 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
I had the same problem and the only cure i found was paint. Just finished the undercoating but cant decide which final colour to go for.
BenB

posted on 23/4/08 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
The problem isn't so much getting aliminium shiny (Autosol does it for me)- it's more that it oxidises that quickly that unless you put a protective laquer / wax coat on top of it immediately after polishing you'll have to polish it again after about a week!! You'll end up with very thin aliminium and worse repetitive strain injury than a teenage geezer with a playboy subscription
rusty nuts

posted on 23/4/08 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
Just polished my side panels using a 6 speed polisher from ebay cost £30 +p&p Put Mequires metal polish on the mop and each side took ten minutes.
02GF74

posted on 24/4/08 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
well different grades of aluminium have, not surprisingly different properties. raw aluminium can be rather "porous" so can stain quite easily - you may find it takes a lot of elbow grease to remove the stain.

Once done, spray with clear laquer. I have done that on my bonnet and so far it has stayed on.

MK Charlie

posted on 24/4/08 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
I wet flat my ali then just used normal polish and it looks the dogs doo dahs

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.