Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Would anyone be interested in Freelander diff and modified drive shaft kits
MK9R

posted on 30/4/08 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
Would anyone be interested in Freelander diff and modified drive shaft kits

My father and I recondition freelander transfer lines (IRD's, VCU's and Rear Diffs)

The diffs are far lighter than the sierra ones, and the ratio is a lot better (especially for BECS).

If i was able to supply the diffs and modified driveshafts (correct width and for sierra rear hubs), would there be much of a market??

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

Is this a TRADE ADVERTISEMENT?? Click HERE to report it!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pawgrp

posted on 30/4/08 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds interesting Austen. Do you have any weight saving figures available?
MK9R

posted on 30/4/08 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
quite a lot

sorry not as yet. I'm planning on converting mine

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dan__wright

posted on 30/4/08 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
i would have a set once im on the road, my carrent rations are going to be awefull and the only solution is going to be a freelander diff, the weightsaving is a bonus and ive heard they are also LSD?

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

MK9R

posted on 30/4/08 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
I have a 3.62 sierra in mine at the moment and it tops out at 110, which is not ideal on the track, especially at places like Doni, Snets etc. I want and extra 15mph top end, which the freelander diff should give me.

The Freelander diff isn't LSD.

I've attached a speed calculator which i find very helpful.

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

Puk

posted on 30/4/08 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
Is it possible to incorporate a LSD into a Freelander housing?

Before you judge a guy, walk a mile in his shoes. Then when you judge him, you're a mile a way and you've nicked his shoes.

PAUL FISHER

posted on 30/4/08 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
Thats the main problem with the freelander diff,there not LSD as standard,you can fit one to them but they are £££££££££££
ChrisW

posted on 30/4/08 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
Please don't multi-post!! Have merged threads, and moved to an appropriate topic section.

Chris

procomp

posted on 30/4/08 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
Hi i do not know if it is still the same but. It used to be that if you wanted an LSD version you had to buy the QUAIFE units fully built from Westfield. The cost was somwhere around £1200. And there was a 4.1 ratio available also. Not sure if Quaife will now sell a LSD as a seperate item whithout going through westfield or not these days though.

Cheers Matt

progers

posted on 30/4/08 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
Quaife will put the LSD internals into your Freelander diff for you (for a reasonable fee), or sell you the internals to do yourself. As I recall it will cost you around £7-800. Not cheap, but similar cost to putting a Quaife ATB in a Sierra housing.

Cheers

Paul

charlierevell

posted on 30/4/08 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
I'd be interested in the weight saving, Im not LSD at the moment and would need it to bolt onto my drum hubs.

Just found this on quaife.....

Quaife Freeland Complete Diff

[Edited on 30/4/08 by charlierevell]

Tango orange is an 'IN' colour!!

progers

posted on 30/4/08 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
This is a cheaper option if you have your own diff (you can find them <£200)

http://www.quaife.co.uk/Land-Rover-Freelander-ATB-differential

Paul

Paul TigerB6

posted on 30/4/08 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
The Quaife Freelander LSD is available seperately but you need to be careful about which diff you have as it only fits the later one. Landrover uprated the diff to incorporate larger journal bearings and the Quaife ATB LSD only fits this.

Quaife ATB available here

I'm looking at a Freelander diff as an essential for my car but will go with the open diff / sticky tyres to start with and then fit an ATB if it really needs it.

coozer

posted on 30/4/08 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
Be aware that the new landrover is being built at Halewood shares chassis and mechanics with the X type thats built there which means underneath both these cars they are the old Mondeo!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

MK9R

posted on 1/5/08 at 06:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Be aware that the new landrover is being built at Halewood shares chassis and mechanics with the X type thats built there which means underneath both these cars they are the old Mondeo!

Sorry but that is complete and utter rubbish. I worked on the new freelander design for 3.5 years, and there is not one common component with the X type.

The new freelander uses all new transmission design, so i am actually only refering to the old freelander diffs in this thread.

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.