Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Looking for a car and a direction.
dhutch

posted on 7/5/08 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
Looking for a car and a direction.

Im looking now to get a car intime for this summer i think. Ie, largly, as soon as possable.
- Somthing preowned, and within budget.

However im have trouble finalising on what i want, or finding anything that sets my heart on fire for the money i was thinking of spending.

My core issue is the whole bec/cec thing, which for the last week ive been thinking about basicaly non-stop. Turning over pros and cons, reading pst thread at work, talking to people with cars, etc.
- And hopfully i should be passengering on the road in a westy cec on sunday. As ive really only been out in a bec on a track.
- Was as stoneleigh on sunday gone as well, talking to manufactors and owners.

Im gently leaning towards the bec, with plans to do maybe 3/4trackdays or so a year. Funds allowing. And obtain a trailer for that.
- But also take it out for a run on nice days. Possably a few longer 'days' out eather with other sevens, or with a freind somewhere once or twice.

Budget wise, i currently have £4.5k in a savings account (a grand of which is interest free overdraught taken from another acount, which i will have till i leave uni in three years time). And will earn around £700 a month till sept. Being about to save around £400 a month of that. (£1600ish)
- There is also a possably of borrowing maybe £1000 from my parents at a good rate. Although ive not really asked yet, and it would clearly need paying back. Im 21 and on a sandwich year half way through four years on mecheng and loughborough.

The car i know most about is proberbly the mk, from going to there events at bruntingthorpe.
- But ive also investigated the Tigar, and talked with Worx a bit and had a ride out in his car etc. And chatted to the aries motorsport bloke. And a freind whos a dutton owner.

I think my dream car would be a wel sorted 2year old mk indy bec with a full cage. For £4000. But clearly that wont happen without atleast one perameter moving!
- The new chassis mk in nice too.... (dreams)

Ive acctually been offered a 'nearly finished' Mac1 blade for £4k
- Apprently with all thats need to finish it, which a good builder could do in a fortnight of evenings/weekends. So maybe a month or so hard work from me?

Seams to good to be true. But i might go and see it this weekend.

I'll post back again tomorrow, but im intrested in your thoughts.

Daniel

skodaman

posted on 8/5/08 at 01:04 AM Reply With Quote
If i were u i'd get a cec and get used to that first. Even the less powerful ones are amazingly quick compared to a tin top. Anyway a lot of the fun is in the cornering abilities not straight line speed. Get used to this first and then go for a bec later if the cec isn't fast enough.
Nearly finished cars are ten a penny so either way for your purposes get one that's actually on the road.

Skodaman

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 8/5/08 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
have you budgeted for insurance? how many years NCB?

madmandegge

posted on 8/5/08 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
As a rough idea, 20 no NCB, fully comp, 1500 road miles () Adrian Flux were only able to give me a quote just under £1000, nowhere else would even quote me 'cause of age!

edit - 2.0 dohc, not BEC

[Edited on 8/5/08 by madmandegge]

dhutch

posted on 8/5/08 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
Point taken about part finished cars.
- And the whole finishing it and SVA thing proberbly isnt as quick/easy and cheap as some might make out (well at least when selling a 'nearly finshed' car anyway).

Ive seen Eddies car as well, i think there was a thread on here where he was asking about wheels for it to.
- But yeah, thats not a bad car, from what i can see and what i know?

I have loosly factored insurence. But only based on what ive heard on here and otehr forums. Ive not actaully rung up and tryed to get quotes for persepective cars. Are bec's stung worse than cec's?
- Thats proberbly they next task. And also researching what the crack on insurence for track days is.
- I'll be 21 in the 26th (may) and currently have one years ncb as a named driver with directline. Which will become two years as of august. Touch wood. Clean full uk licence since jan05.

Are there any other names other than flux i should be looking at? I'll read some past threads on that again and make some notes.

Daniel

[Edited on 8/5/08 by dhutch]

BenB

posted on 8/5/08 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
BECs usually have 50% added on top of the insurance premium just for having a bike engine in it.....
dhutch

posted on 8/5/08 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
BECs usually have 50% added on top of the insurance premium just for having a bike engine in it.....

Right. Well that might be a consideration.
- Depending on what its 50% of, does the fact im 21 make much odds? Three years clean licence?
- From what i was reading i was expecting maybe more like £5/600. But that might be a price for cec and a bit more ncb?

What about track cover.
- For 3/4days a year am i better just geting day cover? Or are there policys that cover a few days in them, or as a addition?

kipper

posted on 8/5/08 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
I have a car in for sale if you are interested. It's a Stuart Taylor (read Aries)
crosflow. Engine is a 1720 Vulcan tuned unit, it has Toyo 888 tyres so ready for track days, new battery and is taxed and tested for twelve months. not as fast as the bike engined cars but still does 12.8 quarter miles at Melbourn dragway.
Looking for 4,750 quid. and can deliver at cost.
Please u2u me if interested.
Regards Kipper.

MK Charlie

posted on 8/5/08 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
I've just turned 21 last month and had my toyota 4age mk indy for nearly a year now! While I was 20 the only insurance company that would touch me was adrian flux. Now I'm 21 i'm with sureterm, but that is because I know people who work there so i got mates rates.
Definately go for a CEC as your first kit as they are still massively quick. Mine is the fastest thing I have driven, and I work for BMW and get to take cars out all the time.
Dont really want to p*ss on your candle, but if you can afford to buy a kit car can you afford to run it? I work full time and still cant use mine as much as I'd like. Dont forget about maintenance. If something goes wrong you will need to get it fixed ASAP otherwise it will do your head in. Dont forget about MOT and tax. I know its not much, but still something to considder!
I'm not trying to put you off at all, just telling you how it is from a kit car owner similar age to you!
Hope this midnight ramble has been of some help!

Charlie

dhutch

posted on 9/5/08 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MK Charlie
I've just turned 21 last month and had my toyota 4age mk indy for nearly a year now! While I was 20 the only insurance company that would touch me was adrian flux. Now I'm 21 i'm with sureterm, but that is because I know people who work there so i got mates rates.
Definately go for a CEC as your first kit as they are still massively quick. Mine is the fastest thing I have driven, and I work for BMW and get to take cars out all the time.
Dont really want to p*ss on your candle, but if you can afford to buy a kit car can you afford to run it? I work full time and still cant use mine as much as I'd like. Dont forget about maintenance. If something goes wrong you will need to get it fixed ASAP otherwise it will do your head in. Dont forget about MOT and tax. I know its not much, but still something to considder!
I'm not trying to put you off at all, just telling you how it is from a kit car owner similar age to you!
Hope this midnight ramble has been of some help!

Charlie

Yeah, all rambles greatly appreciated!!
- The bec routine may as you say be better joining my softspot for furys in waiting till 'the second car' in a few years time. Like, when i have a real job...

The 4AGE is by all acounts a very nice engine as well, although my only real run-in with one has been via my mates Mk1 MR2. Not that the eather of the Zetec/Duratec/Redtop/Kseries or even pinto/crossflow are bad engines. (ahh, decisions!)

Obvously also it will cost somthing to run, and like insurence im aware of that and trying to bear it in mind. But at the same time, if i have the car, i will make the money if it needs it.
- There nothing like a project to focus the mind!

But yeah, as i said, im just really trying to get my head round the whole thing, attacking it from as many angles as i can, and trying to come to a decision and car that im going to really happy and settled with, that i can afford to buy and run.

In sort of set myself a target of having something, Or at very least really being dead set on what i want, before newark.
-Again, nothing like a target to concentrate the mind!

Daniel

[Edited on 9/5/08 by dhutch]

wilkingj

posted on 9/5/08 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
Ive got a jago geep (looks like a US army jeep)
Ford 16oo Xflow engine on a 711M block.
Its registerd, and road legal.

Its my sons, and he is at University and doesnt have the time to get it on the road.

However, I expect you would want a 7 style car.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dhutch

posted on 9/5/08 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah, deffonatly thinking sevenish thoguhts!

In many ways there are a host of other things i could buy, that might be more or less sensable/suitable/affordable/practical.
- I have freinds with series landrovers who green lane, striped out golfs and an mr2 that get tracked, and relient schimtar thats just being re-engined from a essex v6 to a rover v8.
- So i sort of want to join in with that, but in my own way. With somthing RWD that i can track, but also use on the road when the mood takes! And ive always admired the seven look from the first day i was tall enough to see out of the car. "Mummy whats that car". Spot on!

But yeah, Ive thought fairly hard about this, and i think its the right thing to do and the right time if i am going to do it.
- While im on placement (till mid/end sept) working a fixed 8till5 shift i got a fair bit more time on my hands than when i go back top uni. Or atleast in making time i dont risk failing my degree.
- Hence, im my mind, it makes much more sense to buy now, enjoy this summer with it, do whatever i want to do to it, and then at the end of the year i can revaluate, and eather keep it knowing more about it and myself or if it seams more sensable, let it go, having learnt a lot and had a great summer.
- I could wait till after uni in three years time or somthing. Which is what my parents i think where intially pushing for. However thats a long way away, i really want to do it, and as even they have pointed out, having waited three years, i still might not be in any better as possition to get car.

And as maybe you can see, im currently spending half my day at work on here anyway! Heyho! Its sunny and we finish at one.

Daniel

dhutch

posted on 12/5/08 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
Well, had a cracking run out with the Cannock westy club.
- There where only four of them, which is a bit of a shocker given the weather! But a great run out.
- One of them had only just made a few changes, and about 20minutes in started having issues with cooling/airlocking but that didnt take long to sort and we where on the way again.

Despeight having been in a number of cars now, mainly the MK at bruninthope, that was actaully my first run out in a CEC, and basicaly my first big run out on the road. So that was interesting. Certianly showed me that cec's can go pretty quick too!
- Although in a way it was a slight shame in a way that the car i rode in was the only one without a windscreen (just a aero screen) so we had helmets on, and ive still not been in a car with a screen.
- Engine was a 2l vauxhall xe with a bit of modification, throtal bodies, new cams, remote oil filter and the like. Car behind was a zetec, which seamed to keep up fine, and a v8 dutton.

Daniel

JUD

posted on 12/5/08 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
So - still no closer to deciding??

---------------------
MK Indy Blade

RK

posted on 12/5/08 at 11:50 PM Reply With Quote
Aren't CEC's generally cheaper overall?
dhutch

posted on 13/5/08 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JUD
So - still no closer to deciding??

Well, you could say that!
- Im now possably swinging more for the cec route perhaps. Although i am still very much in favour with the MK indy, which seams to be a largly bec centers scheme.

Im worried that a bec would become tiring, and i wouldnt get out in it as much as i should for fear of ending up in traffic having a mare, killing clutches all the time, and generally wishing it was more tame.
- Although at the same time, i could actaully see myself geting a real thrill just off it being a really stupid car to be driving, and coming out the other side and having a right good blat on the open road or a trackday.

Im not sure if becs are much more than cecs eather. In general there seams maybe less cheaper becs about, but then agian there seams to be less dogs in the bec scene, which is where half the cheaper cecs seam to be.
- Certainly a minted year old busa engined MNR or somthing comands a higher tag than a 5year old rusty pinto robinhood.
- However a nice enough, fairly standard, 2l zetec/redtop cec seams to be about £6k. As does a very simple blade engined equivlent. Both maybe streaching the budget.
- Dont know a huge amount about comparable maintaince/totalloss costs eather. Maybe the more highly strung bec suffers there?

Daniel

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.