Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Aargghh! Just bought me first house! Advice appreciated...
Liam

posted on 25/5/08 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
Aargghh! Just bought me first house! Advice appreciated...

Hellooo...

Me and my partner have just bought our first house (well going through the process as we speak)!! It was all a bit sudden to be honest - was really supposed to be 'looking at houses rehearsal' but we bought the first house we saw cos it's got such great potential (we think)!

Part of the reason we could actually afford to do so, and at the same time get something that is quite spacious and suits our needs, is because it is a bit of a project!! It's a 30's semi bungalow just vacated by an elderly couple which clearly hasn't had much work done on it since the 70's (apart from a recent new roof which is handy!).

The situation we're in is that we can stay where we currently live for the time being (parents!) and make the house habitable in our own time and as finances allow. Major jobs are destruction of the uselessly small kitchen and bathroom and extending them using some 'spare' dead space in some strangely planned old extensions. Got an old back boiler to replace and one floor length window on an external wall will need to be swapped for a conventional height but wider one. After that it's just modernisation of the decor etc etc.

We want to do as much ourselves as possible. I'm a professional engineer and have worked in construction for a few years too labouring whilst i was bumming around after graduating. I've no formal trade qualifications but I'm pretty competent practically and have done a fair bit of work on my parent's property - minor plastering, kitchen floor tiling, carpentry, decoration etc etc. I'm not scared to have a go at anything but will need to read up a lot and seek advice!

My real questions at the moment are as follows:

1. Generally, what exactly are you allowed to do diy nowadays anyway? From brief research on here and elsewhere it would seem that electrical work is a no-no with all this type-p cert stuff (dispite my electrical engineering degree). Plumbing may be a possibility - i'm certainly not scared of trying it as i work as a mechanical engineer at a fluid engineering research place and piping, pressure/leak testing etc etc is a daily thing - but am i allowed to do it in my own house? Gas is one area i'm not confident in and would want to call on a professional. Building work - removing walls and building new ones etc etc should be OK. Any general advice appreciated!

2. We should complete in a few weeks time. I'm currently 3D modelling the whole house from measurements and 'virtually' implementing our evil plans for wall rearrangement. But i'm itching to get in there and start 'investigating' internal walls with a hammer and removing 70's fixtures with extreme prejudice! But what do I have to do to stay on the right side of regs? Do I need to inform building control of our plans before i start smashing too much stuff out? Again any advice appreciated.

3. Any good sparkys, plumbers etc here in the Bedford area who wont take me for a ride when it comes to calling on the pros?

Many thanks for your time, folks. I'll post a piccy or two of the major offending pieces of 70's decor that will be first to meet the sledgehammer

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
b184

posted on 25/5/08 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
Dose it have a garage for your project
JoelP

posted on 25/5/08 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
You can do your own electrics if you are familiar with the regs enough to satisfy a building inspector. Just pay the fee to sumbit a building notice. The council then has to arrange testing and certification (assuming it passes!). If you are already doing major work, ie an extention, just add it onto that notice at no extra cost.
Liam

posted on 25/5/08 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
Ah right - i read you were investigating this kind of thing in a previous thread. Did you end up sitting the exams to get the letters and bits of paper (it was you who was considering that wasn't it)?

So this 'building notice', then? Is that what i have to do to before i can really start smashing anything up? "Hello building control, i want to knock down this wall and build a new one here etc etc..."

Cheers,

Liam

P.S. Yes it has a good sized garage for the project . Was my main house buyinh criteria and pretty impossible to find for our budget so i'm happy. Looks like the car will be delayed even longer though

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
You can do your own electrics if you are familiar with the regs enough to satisfy a building inspector. Just pay the fee to sumbit a building notice. The council then has to arrange testing and certification (assuming it passes!). If you are already doing major work, ie an extention, just add it onto that notice at no extra cost.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 25/5/08 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
Any general advice appreciated!

Don't knock anything down that holds something up Live in it as it is for a while till you decide what to do to make it how you want it.
Knocking a house about is a good way to annoy neighbours joined onto it, another good way is to light fires or rattle the dustbins a lot

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

eznfrank

posted on 25/5/08 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
I have done three houses now, not so much to make £ but more to move up the property ladder and bring down the o/s on my mortgage. When I started I knew zip (although my dad's a builder) and I've kind of taught myself.

In terms of plumbing, don't touch anything gas related, although don't be afraid of doing the central heating etc, just don't connect it to the gas that's all. Although it is a bit more expensive I always use Polyplumb, if you can do Lego you can re-plumb a house with poly, it really is just push fit. There's no legal issues relating to plumbing that I'm aware of.

In terms of electrics I usually just replace existing and I'm comfortable with that but you do have to be careful doing much more.

Removing walls - stud walls yes that should be fine as long as they have no support function - sounds daft but I have seen stud walls supporting floors above!! Re-building them again should be no issue.

In terms of the position of the walls there are some standard clearances you have to adhere to particularly in bathrooms that building regs man could get funny about.

adam1985

posted on 25/5/08 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
didnt think you could do anything on electics anymore they have made it like corgi with gas
JoelP

posted on 25/5/08 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adam1985
didnt think you could do anything on electics anymore they have made it like corgi with gas

a common misconception/what they might want you to think!

You also dont have to be corgi registered to do gas work

adam1985

posted on 25/5/08 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
why dont you have to be corgi registered
JoelP

posted on 25/5/08 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
You only need to be corgi registered if you are issuing an invoice, ie working for the public. If doing it 'not for gain' (genuinely, for yourself) then you only need be competent. Crucially, competence isnt defined, though gas men would tell you it means qualified with the right elements. Its open to interpretation, but you would not get prosecuted for diy gas work if it was safe (ie designed right and tested).

Regarding electric work, only notifyable work must go through building control. This changed at some point but there was a list of works and locations that needed notifying. Being registered with a competant person scheme (ie niceic, elecsa etc) means you can self certify.

adam1985

posted on 25/5/08 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
so if i was to do some work on my gas supply how would i prove i was competant without the relivant qualifications
spaximus

posted on 25/5/08 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
If it is your first house I would suggest getting a survey on it. A 30s bungalow may well have lots of rotten joists etc under the floor that you may well not see.
Work wise you can do it all youself but everything like the gas and Electrics need to be signed off, if you don't selling the house in the future may well be a problem.
Look at insulation as if it has any problems in that department you can cavity fill the walls before decorating.
Don't knock walls down before checking they aren't load bearing and as others have suggested be sure they layout works before spending cash.
Take time and do it right first time and congratulations, not many better feelings than your first home together.

phil.shelton

posted on 25/5/08 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
Find a electricain woh will sign off installation he will want abot 100 - 150 for a test and certificate. most electricans would rather do a few tests and fill out a bit of paper than actualy chase walls out and run cables.
garage19

posted on 25/5/08 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
You can do you own electrics.

As said prevviously you do however need someone part p qualified to come in and inspect and test afterwards. Cost of this is ussually iro £80 round my way.

JoelP

posted on 25/5/08 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
this one comes up often on another forum i frequent - it is allegedly not legal for a spark to sign off someone elses work. The certificate you sign says 'responsible for the design, construction, inspection and testing ', which you clearly are not if you come in at the end to sign it off. I certainly wouldnt touch someone elses work with a barge pole.

Regarding the issue of competent gas work, the proof is in the pudding. If it doesnt kill anyone, you were likely competent.

adam1985

posted on 25/5/08 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
or very lucky (more likely)
DIY Si

posted on 25/5/08 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
As long as you can solder properly, I don't see why it should be a problem. Well, that and get the flue right so you don't poison everyone.
gazza285

posted on 25/5/08 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
Buy some red and black cable from eBay and wire it yourself, then learn to say "It was like that when I moved in".

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

Guinness

posted on 26/5/08 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gazza285
Buy some red and black cable from eBay and wire it yourself, then learn to say "It was like that when I moved in".

Liam, if you are extending the property there will be a limit to what you can do before you have to submit a planning application. This is called "permitted development". Typically this includes replacement of a roof, replacement of windows (i.e. old for new upvc etc), small extensions, conservatories and porches etc. Beyond that you'll have to produce a set of plans and submit a planning application.

See here for more details:

http://www.communities.gov.uk/publications/planningandbuilding/planningguidehouseholders

This format is largely followed by Building Control. Most DIY stuff isn't notifiable, kitchen replacement, new bathroom suite, new decoration, finishes etc Bigger stuff then falls into two groups, "Full Plans Submission" and "Building Notice".

The original idea was that you submitted a full set of plans for a new building or major project in advance of the start on site, the Building Control dept looked over the plans, approved them, then you started on site. Trouble was it took months to get approval. So people started using the Building Notice route to notify the council of even major projects! Previously building notices had been used as a polite nod to the council that you were knocking down a wall, and if they wanted to come along and have a look or pass comment they could.

Best bet is to talk to the council before starting work, tell them or show them your plans for which walls you are planning on removing etc, and they'll advise you accordingly on which route to take.

http://www.luton.gov.uk/internet/Environment/Planning/Building%20control

Bear in mind that you'd be best off getting a structural engineer to spec the beams for you if any of the walls are supporting walls (i.e. not stud). Otherwise it could quite literally be on your head!

Also worth considering that the local council doesn't have a monopoly on Building Control anymore. There are "approved inspectors" who work either for themselves or large companies. These guys are often a better bet for the following reasons:

They are a business so they want their side of things done with minimum of delay so they can get paid!

They often have a more reasonable view of what is acceptable. As you are working on an existing building it is never going to comply to all the new regs. Any work you do should attempt to improve the situation, but certainly not make anything worse.

Finally they are often in competition with other firms, so the fees can be lower than the councils. Worth shopping around if you do need full plans submission.

If you want any help with the paperwork side of things, let me know!

Cheers

Mike

Liam

posted on 27/5/08 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Awesome thanks for all the responses guys! I'm a little clearer with the exact path to follow now I think. Homebuyers detailed survey is being done nowish so we're waiting on the results of that. Assuming it's valued ok and isn't found to be about to fall down then it's all systems go.

So the first thing to do is put in a building notice, right? I still need to clarify what exactly needs to go on that (looks like electrical and window replacement for sure, what about internal wall moving, and can't see anything regarding plumbing). Even with the guide to the fees payable i'm having trouble working out what it will cost - lol! Might have to actually go and see mr building control.

Anyway thanks for the help so far...

Liam

JoelP

posted on 27/5/08 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
ive never heard of anyone submitting notice regarding removing an internal wall. Water plumbing certainly isnt regulated.
Liam

posted on 27/5/08 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
Ah right that's cool - so maybe the only things i'm doing that are notifiable are the electrical work and the one window replacement. Plumbing do myself and call on a pro for the gas connection.

I'm looking at Beds Borough Council's Website and I understand other authorities have similar (but subtly different) forms and pricing schemes. Looks like i'll have to pay at least the 200 quid for electrical work building notification and 140 for domestic windows work. Hopefully that's it. What about the regularisation charges? Seems like that's something to do with unauthorised work (whatever that is - perhaps anything i get on with before my application is approved?). Hmmmm...

Cheers,

LIam

mad4x4

posted on 28/5/08 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
When I had my windows replaced about 5 years ago we never submitted a Building warrent. the company came in ripped out the windows and put in new ones.

I thought building warrents were for new builds, etxtensions, garages, etc. i.e major work

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

DarrenW

posted on 28/5/08 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
This might sound stupid advice. Do not spend any more than is absolutely necessary.

Spend time seriously thinking about every spend. If you fancy extending, think why. If its absolutely necessary then do it. If its just cos it would be nice to do then dont. Always consider what every penny spent will do to the value.

i extended a 4 bed house a while ago and built a large 13' x 30' garage. 3 years and 2 kids later i realised i was only using 60% of the space in the house effectively. Extension was a waste. Garage was nice, but again i just filled it with junk i didnt need. Even to build the car i didnt need one that big.

I spent a fortune refitting kitchen and fitting range cooker. I could have had same effect and spent 2 grand less.

Same in bathroom. Had to have best mains powered shower and even fitted new boiler to feed it. Total overkill. The whirlpool bath rarely got used.

Now i treat each house as a development and spend absolute minimum whilst achieving a good look for the target buyers that would buy it if i had to sell. Its not about how much you spend - its more about how well you finish it all off. Good quality finish often takes time rather than money within reason.

DarrenW

posted on 28/5/08 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
Some people are screwing better deals just before completion. I dont like that approach whe buying someones home but worth bearing in mind. If you are first time buyer then you are in strong position.

Remember - you make your money when you buy - not when you sell.

Non-supporting walls shouldnt be an issue to remove.

Ive had some windows and doors fitted recently and just didnt say they were new on propoerty details. I was told recently that FENSA was more about controlling who is fitting them so tax man can get his cut rather than for gree and insulation issues. I guess there is nothing wrong with saying you fitted them yourself and getting local authority to issue certificate.

Gas and electric work is pretty sewn up now. Ive replaced fittings and put spurs into non zoned rooms myself but you need to watch the regs. I was told surveyors have been known to lift sockets off walls in kitchens and if new wires are seen then ask for certificates. Apparaently the old coloured wiring fetches a premium these days.

Most councils seem to be very approachable these days for advice.

It is so easy on your first house to get carried away with all of the stuff that is on offer. i always think what do people expect to see in a house in this area and at this price range. No point fitting home automation in a 100 grand terraced house.

Bargain hard on everything you buy. Ive had 14% knocked off a kitchen in a 50% plus 20& sale at MFI before by doing homework. I later found a trade place doing the same ranges cheaper still.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.