Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: flooded carbs
jamestziros

posted on 2/6/08 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
flooded carbs

Almost finished building a locost CBR1000 but having problems with the float chambers overflowing at high revs. I am running an MGB fuel pump but suspect, as I have read on this forum, that the pressure it delivers is too high (the pump is an interupt type).

Does anyone know what pressure a cbr1000 carb system should run at?
Would I be able to correct the problem with an off the shelf regulator?

Thanks!
James

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
locosaki

posted on 2/6/08 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
Hi mate,

I had to fit a bike pump to my set up (zx10) as the pump I orginally had was producing to much pressure and causing the carbs to flood.

I'm sure the bike pump runs at 2/3 psi max.
As for the regulator,I have no idea !!

britishtrident

posted on 2/6/08 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
If it was purely a fuel pressure problem it would occur at idle not high revs.

I suspect the root cause may actually be a carb vibration problem check your carb antivibration mountings are as the engine manufacturer intended.

It may also be you have fitted a high pressure pump, different springs are available for SU pumps you could try fitting spring part number AUA1449 which is avialble from Burlen Services for about £1.50 + vat & p&P

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

BenB

posted on 2/6/08 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
99% of problems when running engines fitted with bike carbs go away when the proper fuel pump is fitted.

Although it should be possible to "adjust" the fuel pressure etc of a car fuel pump it's simplest just to fit a bike fuel pump. Cheap as chips anyway....

piggy1600cvh

posted on 2/6/08 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
is this the same with a zetec engine running on bike carbs? should i use a bike pump or a car pump?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jamestziros

posted on 3/6/08 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the feedback chaps, I have a 1 5 psi regulator which I will try and also I will try to get a bike pump.

James

jamestziros

posted on 8/6/08 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
Chaps

I am still having problems with my carbs flooding. Here is the situation:

1. I have tried using a 1 - 5 psi regulator with the MGB fule pump - carbs still flood.

2. Tried a friends bike fule pump, he is using on a BEC 900cc fireblade - still floods.

3. Cleaned the carbs out & adjusted the float so it closes earlier than before - still floods.

The engine is set so the sump is level, even if i take the carbs off & change the anlge they sit they still flood.
I am taking the carbs to a bike place tomorrow to see what they say.

If anyone has any more ideas I'd love to hear.

Cheers

James

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.