Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: sick zetec
FOZ500

posted on 7/6/08 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
sick zetec

Hi there I am looking for some answer to which way to turn I’ve just finish my cross flow to Zetec build all going well. Zetec in/ Motorbike carbs fitted/Megajolt fitted/ starts on the button first time. Goes like stink.
I took it to my local rolling road and he started it set the carbs up only then did we notice
smoke coming from the exhaust.
We then found out that cylinder 3 and 1 were getting oil in
Like most engine I got it from a friend. Did not see it running. Told it was a good one and to be honest I believe him.
So what have I done. I got the head skimmed and I did crank it over on the starter with no oil in the engine some times.

So can it be the oil ring scrapers burnt out or can it be the head not mating with the block?
Then do I just say sod it and find a new replacement engine or do I remove the pistons fit new oil scrapers and ring. And then put it all back together only to find out it was the head.
Or do I/can I fit a black top in replacement to the silver top or is this new can of worms

snapper

posted on 7/6/08 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
have you checked the valve stem oil seals?

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

r1_pete

posted on 7/6/08 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
If it smokes at start up after being stood say overnight, then clears up, chances are its the valve seals, oil drains past them into the ports and bores as the car is stood.

If its much the same all the time, suspect the oil rings.

What happens if you run downhill on overrun, then boot it? if you get clouds of blue smoke, that indicates oil rings most likely as oil mist is sucked by the rings on overrun, but poor stem seals can also contribute

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
will121

posted on 7/6/08 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
how did you know oil was gettin into the bore, did you use a end ascope or something or just the plugs oily? have you compression checked it.
madteg

posted on 7/6/08 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
Think it is oil scraper rings strck in very common problem with engines that have been standing for a while, try redex down plug hole into cylinders and leave for 24hrs. (BE READY FOR THE SMOKE ON START UP)
FOZ500

posted on 7/6/08 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the fast replys:

Firstly
Mr Snapper I’ve changed the valve stems oil seals and checked they are seated properly so hopefully they are ok

Mr r1 Pete it was doing it all off the way up to the rolling road and to But in my hast I’ve just ripped the engine out so I did no checks on it.
I am swaying the ring way it can’t hurt to change them gives me something to do is it a good idea to hone at the same time?

Mr Will121 I took the plugs out and used a long screw driver as a dip stick
But I could see a pool of oil on the top of the piston

Mr Madteg be quite honest with you I do not know how long it was standing for.
So I will go for the rings and scrapers where is the best/cheapest place to buy a set?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.