Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: CBR1000 - carbs flood
jamestziros

posted on 9/6/08 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
CBR1000 - carbs flood

Chaps - I have already posted this is engine & trans but thiought i'd throw it in here too.

I am still having problems with my CBR1000 carbs flooding upthrough the main jet. Here is the situation:

1. I have tried using a 1 - 5 psi regulator with the MGB fule pump - carbs flood.

2. Tried a friends bike fule pump, he is using on a BEC 900cc fireblade - still floods.

3. Cleaned the carbs out & adjusted the float so it closes earlier than before - still floods.

The engine is set so the sump is level, even if i take the carbs off & change the anlge they sit they still flood.
I am taking the carbs to a bike place tomorrow to see what they say.

If anyone has any more ideas I'd love to hear. or if you have used a CBR1000 in a kit.

Cheers

James

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
worX

posted on 9/6/08 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
I know you've tried your friends pump, but that is what you need to use in future, not go back to the mgb pump.

You now need to clean the carbs thoroughly. You need to take them right apart and cleam them with a soft paint brush and carb cleaner or plain acetone.

If that isn't successful then you need to have them ultrasonically cleaned.

But even with the above advice, the biggest point is the bike fuel pump.

HTH
Steve

02GF74

posted on 9/6/08 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
is it all of them or some?

have you checked the needle valve?

coozer

posted on 9/6/08 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
Is it with the engine running or switched off? i blocked the breathers on my ZX9 carbs and had a flooding problem. it would start flood and backfire like a shotgun going off and spray petrol out of the trumpets. Not good!

Have you cleaned the carbs with some thing like thinners? The needle valve seats that shut off the fuel have a light rubber coating on them that is ruined by a solvent cleaner.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

r1_pete

posted on 9/6/08 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
Check the float valves are actually shutting the fuel off, and also that the flooding carbs float isn't cracked or holed causing it to sink.

[Edited on 9/6/08 by r1_pete]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jamestziros

posted on 9/6/08 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
Hi All

It is all of the carbs, they start to floods as soon as the ignition is switched on (i.e fuel pump is on), needle valve looks OK…! I have used brake cleaner to clean the internals but not till after I noticed the flooding problem. The floats look OK there is no fuel inside them.

The only other thing I can try is running the a return to the rank with a slightly restriction whick will allow some pressure to the carbs…! Maybe this will be more like the gravity fed system.

Carbs are at the bile shop today so see it they notice anything. The engine was sitting about for a couple of years so mabe the needles have degraded…!?

James

r1_pete

posted on 9/6/08 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
Its odd they all flood, don't take this as a granny / eggs moment, but are you sure you have the fuel pipe connected to the right place? many bike carb set ups have breathers which look like fuel inlets.....

jamestziros

posted on 9/6/08 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
ha ha - 99% sure I have it right but now you have cast doubts I will check. If I have been a complete twat I will let you know...
jacko

posted on 9/6/08 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
If you remove the carbs then blow down the fuel pipe air will go in the carbs then turn the carbs over you should / will not blow air in unless there is some thing wrong with the valves you must use a bike fuel pump ie zx9r etc [ carb pump ]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.