Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Can anyone help with breathing/airbox/tune?
bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Flexibility into my marriage, bless her!

posted on 16/6/08 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
Can anyone help with breathing/airbox/tune?

I have an R1 carb engine in an MNR which I think needs a tune. When getting it tuned I figured I should perhaps get an airbox first?
The sponge air filter currently fitted was squashed by the bonnet, so I cut 4 holes in the bonnet directly above the intakes, I do not know if this is a very good solution as it may well be a low pressure area at speed.
Am I right in thinking an airbox gets its air through a flexible duct? If so is there a good high pressure place to put the intake?
And does the filter go over the mouth of the duct? If so, as its surface area is smaller than the sausage filter, is it a restriction?
Finally, is there a rolling road bike engine tuner in south Wales anyone could recommend?

Sorry for going on and thanks for any feedback.

mad-butcher

posted on 17/6/08 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
don't for gods sake run it with no filter, the slant eyed gets are good but not that good,you'll be running it that weak it will be melting piston crowns,can you post a pic of the engine with the filter fitted then maybe we can advise you the best way to go it's difficult without knowing what you're dealing with.
Tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 17/6/08 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers Tony,
I may get back to you on that, but TimC has recommended two tuners so I may be able to source the lot from them in case they have a preferred set up before tuning.
Ed

mad-butcher

posted on 17/6/08 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
as i said depends on what it's been jetted to run on, if it eas jetted for a foam filter and you fit the original air box it will run to weak/rich depending on what was done, If it's had a dyno jet kit fitted then as far as I am aware it cannot be reversed as you have I believe to drill some jets out and araldite some up.
just in case you're interested I've put several genuine yam w/shop manuals at http://mkfireblade924.spaces.live.com in the w/shop manuals in the public folders
Tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 17/6/08 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Spoke to PDQ who said to fit the filter etc that I want and they will optimise the set up.
This is what I meant by airbox, but they said to avoid a ram-air effect or it may cause lean burn.
http://www.balancemotorsport.co.uk/products.asp?recnumber=106182
The only reason to fit it is to reduce noise,.

To avoid ram effect I could just have the intake open and facing the rear of the car, or face it forward and pipe the inlet to somewhere cool.
I cannot see how where the filter goes, on the end of the pipe or inside the box!

Is this set up know or am I about to be stupid!!
Cheers

Guinness

posted on 17/6/08 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
The airbox that you have linked to is the Pipercross PX600. I have one fitted to my car.

There is an integral cone filter just inside the mouth of the air intake, this is available in either 75mm or 100mm diameters.

HTH

Mike

bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 17/6/08 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for that, I have picked up along the way that I need to plumb the float bulb in-pipes into the same box to keep the fuel pressure matched to the air pressure and so avoid lean mixture, also that the feed pipe should be as short and as straight as poss and end ideally in a naca duct.
All from Andy Bates at AB Performance who pulled in in his car on his mobile and spoke to me for about half an hour, top bloke! I hope to now get him to fit his own air box set up, I'll keep you posted if anyone is interested.
Cheers all

JoaoCaldeira

posted on 19/6/08 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
I'm interested in finding out how things went.

I don't think that the RAM effect is a bad thing in an injected engine (with a PC III or similar) as the lean condition would be overrided by a new map... meaning more air + more gas = more power

mkindy95

posted on 19/6/08 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
Andy @ AB Performance

Can I second the comments about Andy @ AB Performance, this guy is very very helpful, he has just done a little job for me, which I assume cost more in the phone call to discuss etc than he has charged me. Top guy who is happy to help.

I will be using AB Performance again in the future.

Thanks Andy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.