Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  7    8    9    10    11  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Electrolysis. See the light!
Breaker

posted on 1/12/09 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
Does someone knows there is a working linky available regarding the rust removal FAQ mentioned on the first page ?

I've got some rusty hubs waiting for some Soda bathing...

Angel Acevedo

posted on 2/12/09 at 12:56 AM Reply With Quote
Linky....

What´s wrong with this one?
http://www.htpaa.org.au/article-electro.php

If you have questions I may be able to throw in some answers.
Don´t expect Scientific ones, but I´m sure i can get you going.
It is actually pretty simple stuff

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
40inches

posted on 2/12/09 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
Addendum to the original article:

"Problems with Stainless Steel Anodes
Some thoughtful correspondents have pointed out that the use of stainless steel for the positive electrode (anode) may have some undesirable consequences. Most stainless steels contain high percentages of chromium and nickel which may be released into the bath as the anode is slowly eaten away. These are likely to be released initially as soluble cations just as the iron is released initially as ferrous ions. However, since all three cations are being released into an alkaline solution, they are likely to be immediately converted to insoluble hydroxides or oxides and form encrustations on the electrode or fall to the bottom as sediments. In this bound form the nickel and chromium are likely to be less hazardous but nevertheless waterproof gloves should always be worn when working with the bath and the bath sludge should be disposed of appropriately. It may be better to avoid the problem entirely by using simple iron electrodes and brushing the sludge off regularly."

Breaker

posted on 12/5/10 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
My first front hub is almost completely electrolysed. I see there is some kind of black oxide layer appearing on the hub surface.

Should I remove the oxide layer (with some coke ) or should I just paint on the black layer ?

Angel Acevedo

posted on 12/5/10 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Breaker
My first front hub is almost completely electrolysed. I see there is some kind of black oxide layer appearing on the hub surface.

Should I remove the oxide layer (with some coke ) or should I just paint on the black layer ?

Wash with scrub pad and degreaser, dry thoroughly with hairdryer or oven for a couple of hours want to drive hydrogen out.

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 13/5/10 at 06:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Breaker

Remove it with a wire brush, wire wool or similar. Note the surface will start rust very quickly in this condition so you need to get paint on it quickly.

seventhheaven

posted on 15/7/11 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
electrolysis

I've been using electrolysis too. I remembered it from school 25 years ago. I found Ajax scouring powder, water and vinigar to be best. I've experimented with washing machine tablets - ok for light rust as is normal washing powder.

I use a high current battery charger but don't let the positive clamp drip into the water! The positive clamp will soon fizz away and by morning you'll be left with just a dangling wire. For most parts I leave them a couple hours, but I had a set of really rusty hub carriers that had been painted over with some kind of hammerite. They took nearly 24hours to come up clean. They looked beyond saving, yet once don't they sparkled and even the seized bolts came straight out - no effort.

click here to see my super 7th heaven locost project and more info on electrolysis

4wd 3.9 Rover V8 Locost 7 - Super 7th Heaven

designer

posted on 16/7/11 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

My electrode is a piece of thin walled stainless tube about 5" diameter

NEVER use stainless steel as an electrode as the gases given off change, and are poisonous!!!

MakeEverything

posted on 6/2/12 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
I'm thinking of using the last method on my spare Ali block. Has anyone successfully cleaned Ali with electrolysis?

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

RichardK

posted on 6/2/12 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, and it f&cked it

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

loggyboy

posted on 6/2/12 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
Been trying this over the weekend. (on steel) Seems good but fairly slow.

[Edited on 6/2/12 by loggyboy]

coyoteboy

posted on 6/2/12 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I'm thinking of using the last method on my spare Ali block. Has anyone successfully cleaned Ali with electrolysis?

Doesn't work on aluminium.

MakeEverything

posted on 6/2/12 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like an ideal opportunity to soda blast it now then, seeing as everything is white already!!!

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Padstar

posted on 22/7/12 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
The magic is not happening for me

I mixed washing soda into a large plastic box filled with water then connected a wheel hub to the native and placed in the box and the positive to a bit of steel tube.

After about 5 hours (1 amp reading on the charger) the rust has turned black but other than that nothing else has happened?

Am I doing something wrong?

coozer

posted on 22/7/12 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Padstar
The magic is not happening for me

I mixed washing soda into a large plastic box filled with water then connected a wheel hub to the native and placed in the box and the positive to a bit of steel tube.

After about 5 hours (1 amp reading on the charger) the rust has turned black but other than that nothing else has happened?

Am I doing something wrong?

What are you trying to derust? The wheel hub I presume? If so you have the polarity round the wrong way.. the bit you want to derust must be the positive! And 4~5 amps is better.

I use a old laptop charger running 17v, 6 amps and its MAGIC!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Padstar

posted on 22/7/12 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
So the positive feed is submerged in water?
loggyboy

posted on 22/7/12 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
No the negative should be submerged with the item being derusted!
Going black sounds about right, just needs a light rub down after its gone black.

[Edited on 22/7/12 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

coozer

posted on 22/7/12 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
SORRY SORRY SORRY.. got meself mixed up.. The electrode is connected to the positive (red) terminal. The object being cleaned, to the negative(black). Submerge the object, making sure you have good contact.

I use bolted on connections, bolted to the electrode and bolted to a pair of molegrips to get hold of the rusty bit you want to clean.

Heres a pic of mine.. big bit of plate that gets ugly pretty quickly positive bolted to this, mole grips with the negative bolted on for the part.

Check this out for more info. Just remember not to use stainless steel, it gives off poisonous gasses!

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/rust/electrolytic_derusting.htm

Looking at you post again I reckon a better supply is needed.

Sorry to mislead ya

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Padstar

posted on 22/7/12 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe I just need a better set up. I am currently using a car battery charger and a small peace of steel as the electrode.

Will get myself some sheet mild steel to line my box with and give it another go. How does the laptop charger work? Do you remove the socket and connect to striped wires?

coyoteboy

posted on 22/7/12 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
Caustic soda really isn't as bad as is made out here. I washed down most of an engine with concentrated lye last month with a toothbrush and gloves. Eventually it went through my gloves and ate away a few bits of my fingers but that took over an hour of constant soaking. Stung a bit. Wouldn't want it in my eyes, for sure. But it's healed and fine a week later.

FWIW if you're using it just keep some vinegar to hand, immediately and safely neutralises any spilled on your skin without doing further damage.

It's all about common sense, taking obvious steps for safety (good ventilation, eye protection, ensuring you have some way of neutralising it etc).

However, there's no need for electrolysis - it's overkill and you really is decreasing returns for increasing unpleasantness so I'd stick with soda crystals anyway.

[Edited on 22/7/12 by coyoteboy]

coozer

posted on 23/7/12 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Padstar
Maybe I just need a better set up. I am currently using a car battery charger and a small peace of steel as the electrode.

Will get myself some sheet mild steel to line my box with and give it another go. How does the laptop charger work? Do you remove the socket and connect to striped wires?

Yep, block connector on the wires.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Padstar

posted on 23/7/12 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
If i am using a plastic box is there any issues with teh component being cleaned sitting on the bottom of teh box or does it have to be suspended in the solution?
coyoteboy

posted on 23/7/12 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
Only issue will be you won't get as much fluid movement around the part so it may not clean as effectively if it's a large flat bit. If it's pointy you might find the tip isn't as clean but other than that, no major problem.
Padstar

posted on 28/7/12 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
2 a4 sizes sheets of steel arrived this morning. They have been attached to the + and a mole grip to the - similar to coozers pic. Didn't know for sure what wire from the charger was +\- but must have got them right as when I switched my new creation on the bit being cleaned started to bobble and I could see bobbles being attracted towards my 2 steel plates. Only left it for 30mins but seems to be loosening the rust a bit. About to head off to the beach volleyball so will give it a proper blast tomorrow.

Should it bring the piece back to its original self or just clean up and turn black thus requiring painting?

coozer

posted on 28/7/12 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
Excellent, it will bring the part back to OEM.. take it out and use a hose to wash all the crap off, if it isnt mint put it back in for a while..

Once rinsed it will go black but a wire brush will clean it up. I normally rinse off then go over it with the wire wheel on my grinder.

It doesnt matter how long you leave it, I normally let it go overnight.

[Edited on 28/7/12 by coozer]

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

<<  7    8    9    10    11  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.