Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  5    6    7    8    9    10    11  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Electrolysis. See the light!
greglogan

posted on 11/2/06 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
re: Mild Steel

So would a bit of square section left over from a chassis build be classed as mild steel?

Women are meant to be loved, not understood.

flak monkey

posted on 11/2/06 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
yep. Mild steel is any plain carbon steel with a carbon content less than about 0.15% (give or take), which is exactly what RHS is.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Vixus

posted on 28/3/06 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Liam
To this. With no effort. Apart from a bit of a rinse/scrub, prime and a squirt of WD40 into the bits i dont want to paint.

That's quite something! If only everything could be cleaned this way... including houses.

{ e = mc something ~ processed meat ~ dA }

EViS

posted on 28/3/06 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
Reading these past 18 pages has made me want to start more than ever on the build!! Just another few months to go though . I'm still unsure of which power supply is best though...

Computer ATX PSU's have trouble holding high/steady current flows (amps);
Car Battery Chargers have auto-cutoffs, and
Old CB (something radio ??) PSU's scare me .

Any advice on which PSU to go for (something quite cheap which can also be purchased from ebay )?

[Edited on 28/3/06 by EViS]

MikeRJ

posted on 28/3/06 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MkIndy7
I think this has been asked before but after scanning through I haven't found a definate answer,

Can Alloy parts be used in the same process, like alternator casings etc? or does it only work on cast and steel pieces.

Certainly don't try if you are using caustic soda, you won't have much of your alloy component left!

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the possibility of hydrogen embrittlement. Hydrogen is definately produced during the process, and steel does like to absorb it.

davidfe

posted on 14/4/06 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
Use for Lye

I have sucessfully used Lye in a bucket of cold water to remove the grunge off of filthy valve covers.

Yeah, the caked and baked on stuff on the inside. It took a couple of day in the cold workshop.

Then I used electrolysis and was able to get a very clean surface.

David Edwards

davidfe

posted on 14/4/06 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
Use for Lye

I have sucessfully used Lye in a bucket of cold water to remove the grunge off of filthy valve covers.

Yeah, the caked and baked on stuff on the inside. It took a couple of days in the cold workshop.

Then I used electrolysis and was able to get a very clean surface.

David Edwards

craig1410

posted on 15/4/06 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the possibility of hydrogen embrittlement. Hydrogen is definately produced during the process, and steel does like to absorb it.

Mike,
I think this is normally dealt with in industry by heating the piece to quite a high temperature and allowing the hydrogen to diffuse out of the metal. I'm not sure how high the temperature needs to be but it might be worth sticking them in your domestic oven at full blast for an hour or so if you are concerned.

Also, in practice the sort of things which people are cleaning (ie. hubs and carriers etc) are way over-engineered for Locost use anyway due to the light weight of a Locost compared to the likes of a Sierra.

[See para 11 and 12 in this article]
http://www.moldmakingtechnology.com/articles/040208.html

Cheers,
Craig.

[Edited on 15/4/2006 by craig1410]

Confused but excited.

posted on 2/5/06 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
Has anybody managed to keep the wife out of the house long enough to do their back axle in the bath?

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

NS Dev

posted on 4/5/06 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega 24 v6
Now i've got it going can you answer a few questions lads.
At the moment it only draws 1 amp from the charger. It's a 12volt jobie and i'm wondering if the process would speed up if i changed to 24v instead.
Is it possible to up the current by altering the solution at all.
Or am i just being impatient and inquisitive for more information.

I use sodium hydroxide solution and the a 12v battery charger, seems to limit itself to 11 amps

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

picky

posted on 30/5/06 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
hey guys been trying this out works really well but ive been using an aluminium sheet bent kind of circular as the anode, and it is not corroding at all, what kind of gas is this giving off?? is it doing me any good?? solution doesnt seem to be going yellow though... so dont think there is any chromium there.
cheers,
Picky

[Edited on 1/6/06 by picky]

Picky

theconrodkid

posted on 19/6/06 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
save me trawling through the lot,i want to de-rust my tina calipers,if i block off the fluid inlet and let them soak,will i knacker the seals,if so where/how much seal kit

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

caber

posted on 19/6/06 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
I stripped mine before electroysis but I don't think the process will damage good seals but don't risk your life on it

Caber

theconrodkid

posted on 19/6/06 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
if i strip mine,liquid will get to the seals between the 2 halves,they are unobtainable?if i just plug the hole may be just a seal set,anyone know how much seals are?

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

DIY Si

posted on 19/6/06 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
Would it not be easier to just get some recon ones? From what I've heard the rebuild kits are getting near impossable to find.
theconrodkid

posted on 20/6/06 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
slight change of plan,mundano calipers and 3 litre capri discs

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

NS Dev

posted on 21/6/06 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
much easier!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

eMKay

posted on 14/7/06 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
When using this solution with a mild steel anode it's safe if say you accidentally spill it? It's still just baking soda, water, and iron oxide right? I kinda poked a hole in the kiddie pool I was using to de-rust some larger parts , one side is being lifted up with a 2x4 to keep the hole above the "water" line.
DIY Si

posted on 14/7/06 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Yup, the stuff can be discretely poured over the garden. just don't let swmbo ee you do it, as it leaves a big rusty patch.
eMKay

posted on 15/7/06 at 12:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
Yup, the stuff can be discretely poured over the garden. just don't let swmbo ee you do it, as it leaves a big rusty patch.

Ok, thanks. It left a big rusty patch on my garage floor, it's epoxy coated so it cleaned up ok.

Angel Acevedo

posted on 25/8/06 at 01:13 AM Reply With Quote
Electrolysis

Hi You all,
I have not read the whole thread, but if you want to go the extra step, you may as well change the iron anode for a zinc bar or piece and PRESTO, you have electrolytic galvanizing. I`ve tried with muriatic acid diluted (Very) as electrolyte and works great.
Well... this is my contribution....
I have a few questions though..
1 I have a `91 Mercury Cougar 289 CID V8, 4 Speed Automatic OD transmission, IRS that I would like to use on some sort of Locost; Could it be done???
2 Or should I scrap or sell the thing and get something smaller??
3 I live in Mexico, and I dont know of a racing series where I could race it, so i`d built for the looks... is Auto Transmission suitable???
Thanks in advance and best regards

[Edited on 25/8/06 by Angel Acevedo]

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Nitrogeno25

posted on 22/2/07 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Is it really that easy?

quote:
Originally posted by Angel Acevedo
Hi You all,
I have not read the whole thread, but if you want to go the extra step, you may as well change the iron anode for a zinc bar or piece and PRESTO, you have electrolytic galvanizing. I`ve tried with muriatic acid diluted (Very) as electrolyte and works great.
Well... this is my contribution....
I have a few questions though..
1 I have a `91 Mercury Cougar 289 CID V8, 4 Speed Automatic OD transmission, IRS that I would like to use on some sort of Locost; Could it be done???
2 Or should I scrap or sell the thing and get something smaller??
3 I live in Mexico, and I dont know of a racing series where I could race it, so i`d built for the looks... is Auto Transmission suitable???
Thanks in advance and best regards

[Edited on 25/8/06 by Angel Acevedo]

DarrenW

posted on 23/2/07 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
Now im no chemist but i would have though mixing zinc with acid and adding some electrickery would make for a nasty gas. Would recommend some research before doing this type of plating at home.

Angel Acevedo

posted on 24/2/07 at 01:46 AM Reply With Quote
Even water will produce explosive gas mixtures when a current passes through it.
It will give Hidrogen gas at one end and Oxigen at the other.
The acid will make water a better conductor only.

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Guinness

posted on 27/2/07 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
How does this work again.

Can't be arsed to trawl through the entire thread.

Mike

<<  5    6    7    8    9    10    11  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.