Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Windscreen
leon51274

posted on 23/6/08 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
Windscreen

Hi guys, new to the site but i'm sure it wont be the 1st visit. I have just purchased what a believe to be a locost! The reason for being a little unsure is because the original car was a dutton and was sva as dutton. I've attached a pic so hopefully someone will be able to confirm what type of car it is. The main reason for the post is to find out where i can purchase a windscreen,I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.
Cheers
Leon

omega0684

posted on 23/6/08 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
BLINGIN ELL !!!!! Look at those wing mirrors
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
speedyxjs

posted on 23/6/08 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
WOW that IS a nice car
Welcome to the madhouse btw

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

leon51274

posted on 23/6/08 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers men

The wing mirrors are off this week, got some e-tech's arriving soon. Sort of thing you see on a saxo i thought. Only had the car a couple of weeks so just putting the finishing touches to it. Any idea on the windscreen, don't fancy a bee at 70.

scotty g

posted on 23/6/08 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
erm... did you say its listed as a Dutton cos that is never a Dutton.
If it is listed as a Dutton I would suggest that it has not passed an SVA test and someone has bought a crap cheap Dutton and is just using its log book to sell this car!

leon51274

posted on 23/6/08 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
apparently it had an sva as a dutton but then was stripped down and made into the car you see. Does that mean it still has to have an sva as it is now?
graememk

posted on 23/6/08 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
lets see some under bonnet pics but i doubt its a dutton, so it will need a sva for it to be legal and for your own safty

whitestu

posted on 23/6/08 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

apparently it had an sva as a dutton but then was stripped down and made into the car you see. Does that mean it still has to have an sva as it is now?

Sounds like SVA avoidance to me. AFAIK Dutton have never made anything that looks like a locost.

stu

eznfrank

posted on 23/6/08 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
As above, looks like there's been a bit of creativity with the old log book there? Could be wrong but I aint seen any Duttons like that. That being said...nice looking car. Oh yeah and why get a windscreen when a helmet will do just nicely. What block is in it?
leon51274

posted on 23/6/08 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
I've attached some more pics, the guy who i bought it off has been re-building it for the last 2 years, he bought it as a dutton rolling chassis which had previously been a completed dutton with an sva, but the bloke had decided to strip it down and re-build as you see and as usual failed to complete, this is when the bloke who i bought it off came in a bought it to complete, again as you see, hope this all makes sence! Apparently once a vehicle has had an sva you are allowed to what you want??? Its running a crossflow 1600gt with sierra 5 speed box and running gear.

Andybarbet

posted on 23/6/08 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
on a side note, got any side on pics of the car because im planning on fitting peugeot wheels to mine and wondered what they look like

The front wheel looks the same as my peugeot ones, im thinking they will look great !

Cheers.....Andy

leon51274

posted on 23/6/08 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
only decent side i've got. Wheels are off in to be shot blasted and powder coated next week, going to be matt black with a clear gloss anti-graffiti coat.
Michael

posted on 23/6/08 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Is it stuart Taylor (now Aeries) Bodywork??

If so they do windscreens, but I'm only guessing though.

BenB

posted on 23/6/08 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
If its STM / Aries the windscreens they do are Caterham

Cheap as chips (well not that bad) off the blatchat forum... Or try Redline in Caterham (they've usually got some in stock).

indykid

posted on 23/6/08 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leon51274
Apparently once a vehicle has had an sva you are allowed to what you want??? Its running a crossflow 1600gt with sierra 5 speed box and running gear.

not true at all. i'd personally be returning it and asking for my money back unless you plan to sva it again.

as long as you never have to make a claim on your insurance or get pulled by a knowledgable copper..........i guess you'll get away with it.

i'd rather not though.
tom

Andy S

posted on 23/6/08 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
This is the DLVA info on your car - its has never seen SVA as when the original car - DUTTON - was registered SVA did not exist - it didn't exist for another 10 years

You have bought what is in essence a ringed car - insurance wise never have an accident or have to make a claim as you may not be insured and the chance of getting a payment out for what its worth is unlikely - Also the DOC do hold records on cars and could report you car and have it scrapped.

Buyer beware.

Date of Liability 01 11 2008
Date of First Registration 17 08 1984
Year of Manufacture Not Available
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1600CC
CO2 Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type Petrol
Export Marker Not Applicable
Vehicle Status Licence Not Due
Vehicle Colour GREEN
Vehicle Type Approval null
The information contained on this page is correct at the time of enquiry.
Vehicle Excise Duty Rate for vehicle
6 Months Rate £101.75
12 Months Rate £185.00

leon51274

posted on 24/6/08 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
So if i was to have the car in for an sva would this sort any potential problems?
Macbeast

posted on 24/6/08 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
The trouble is, the SVA is only the start. You would have to re-register the car as a Locost or whatever you want to call it and that would be difficult without the original receipts.

I would first check whether the details on the V5 (engine no, VIN no etc ) match what you have. If they do then you're probably ok.

Edit for PS

If you're posting more pics you might like to re-size them to 800 x 600 first

[Edited on 24/6/08 by Macbeast]

leon51274

posted on 24/6/08 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
How does this get through when it goes for an MOT, its still got 10 mths MOT on it!
eznfrank

posted on 24/6/08 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
How does this get through when it goes for an MOT, its still got 10 mths MOT on it!

I think the ongoing problem will be keeping it out of the eyes of those in the know. Any MOT'er, copper, insurance bod who knows about Duttons may well point this out.

I hate to say it but I think you're best having words with the chap that sold you it or explore getting it registered properly which if it's built right might not be too much of a pain as it sounds.

Andy S

posted on 24/6/08 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
Look at the pictures of the car I would guess that the builder was attempting to meet the requirements of SVA at some point but then stopped and went the cheap route and ringed it.

There I quite a few points in the pictures that highlight some corner cutting and area's where it will fail an SVA - I would say that putting it legal will cost the thick end of £500 and a good bit of work. As long as you are capable of doing the work yourself.

With what the builder has done would you really trust the rest of the build its a hand built car thats only had an MOT - and just a basic visiable once over and a brake test - Q plate requirements are for a car from 1971 and removes loads of the current SVA requirements.

Could be a complete death trap

Andrew

leon51274

posted on 24/6/08 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a test inspector from VOSA coming to see me tomorrow so we will see what he say's. One way or another though it will get sorted with no corners cut.
mr henderson

posted on 24/6/08 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I've got a test inspector from VOSA coming to see me tomorrow so we will see what he say's. One way or another though it will get sorted with no corners cut.

I reckon the guy you bought it from is going to have to answer some difficult questions, when the VOSA etc start knocking on his door!

John

Andy S

posted on 27/6/08 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
What did VOSA have to say about the situation?

Andrew

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.