Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: bec exhaust cans
tjoh84

posted on 25/6/08 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
bec exhaust cans

hiya what cans are you using for being able to get on the tracks i have a r1 engine with race can but been told that its well over 105 any of you got the standard r1 can on yours and used it on the track thanks terry
JUD

posted on 25/6/08 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
The new larger can from MK - had no issues with noise. Had one black flag and chat about noise at Brunters with the original smaller can.

Let me know if you want measurements... the size of your can counts

Martin

---------------------
MK Indy Blade

Jubal

posted on 25/6/08 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
I have a spare older MK can I can bring to Anglesey if you want? You should be OK there with that. I'm sure we can get it lashed up.
tjoh84

posted on 25/6/08 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
we could prob do better job than the way the can was fitted. would be cool to bring can with you if you can

[Edited on 093030p://2823 by tjoh84]

marco

posted on 25/6/08 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
Any idea how much the newer Mk can is, same problem here?
tjoh84

posted on 25/6/08 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
and contact details please lol
ReMan

posted on 25/6/08 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Yes I did.
Albeit on a Fireblade , but it got me through SVA and onto Donnington amongst others at 97-98d\B

Jubal

posted on 25/6/08 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tjoh84
and contact details please lol

01709 816138. But if you're doing this just for Anglesey then hopefully my standard can will get you on and give you time to decide how to sort it long term. My car was 102-3db with this can and the carbed blade engine (airbox). Up to you if you want to risk it.

marco

posted on 25/6/08 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
Thats still to high for me , needs to be below 98db. Is this going to be possible on a carbed bec with pipercross filter and the newer Mk can?

ps.. my standard R1 can gave 101,102 db last week at croft and failed the test. I'm wondering if these are repackable if taken apart ?

[Edited on 25/6/08 by marco]

Jubal

posted on 25/6/08 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
98db is a tough target. You need to get the whole system looked at and find a noise/performance balance that works. I just avoid 98db days...
ReMan

posted on 25/6/08 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marco
Thats still to high for me , needs to be below 98db. Is this going to be possible on a carbed bec with pipercross filter and the newer Mk can?

ps.. my standard R1 can gave 101,102 db last week at croft and failed the test. I'm wondering if these are repackable if taken apart ?

[Edited on 25/6/08 by marco]

This is why the std airbx helps

asl

posted on 28/6/08 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Martin. Seeing as our cars appear to be fairly similar what type of exhaust/can have you got on yours and have you ever had it officially noise tested? Just trying to get a ball park figure for mine (I did hire a noise tester and it was showing around the 102 static but i was on a trading estate with a lot of buildings in close proximity etc)
ChrisGamlin

posted on 28/6/08 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
Standard R1 cans aren't repackable, they only have a thin layer of wadding but its all fixed in place as part of the construction process. The main way they reduce the noise is with a twin tube baffle plate in the middle of the can, rather than being straight through and relying on the wadding to do the damping.

Earlier stock carbon R1 cans also seem to deteriorate in my experience, Im not sure if its because of the higher-than-average revs you get in a BEC compared to a road bike, but the carbon outers seem to go hard and start breaking up after a while, and the wadding that is in there seems to get burnt away fairly easily.

I doubt you'll get under 98db with an R1 can and foam filter, I fitted a 7x30" repackable can having ditched the R1 can and it was a significant improvement, but even then I can only get around 98db static. To go lower Id need an airbox.

JUD

posted on 28/6/08 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by asl
Hi Martin. Seeing as our cars appear to be fairly similar what type of exhaust/can have you got on yours and have you ever had it officially noise tested? Just trying to get a ball park figure for mine (I did hire a noise tester and it was showing around the 102 static but i was on a trading estate with a lot of buildings in close proximity etc)

Mine is the more recent MK one - 6" diameter and about 26" long not including pipes (can only). There are pictures in my archive. You may need a new front bracket if you only have the rear one at the moment.

The smaller MK one I used to have did cause a bit of problems at Brunters - I think it was 90'something on the drive by. Don't know the dimensions of that one as it fell off the car at 80mph on turn 2 & I didn't bother getting it back from Pat once he had recovered it off the grass...

Not had any issues with noise with the new one.

If you get along to Brunters for Speed on Wheels or the 19th on the next MK day I am pretty certain you won't have issues. They are pragmatic with the noise meter and if you trip the drive by they will pull you in and tell you where to take it easy on the track. So long as you listen to what you are told and don't keep tripping it you should be fine.

You fixed your gear shift?

ETA: Nathan - I have loaded a picture of the car from a couple of years back with the original can. You can compare that to the others in the "zorst" folder my archive and then see which you have. The smaller one will probably lead to noise problems at less "reasonable" sound tests than those at Brunters.

Martin

[Edited on 28/6/08 by JUD]

---------------------
MK Indy Blade

asl

posted on 28/6/08 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info Martin. I will hopefully be up for speed on wheels. the rack is sorted and Phil at MK has been very helpful with the gear linkage. He's hopefully going to get me a replacement but I doubt it will be on for next weekend. At least the current one will give the guys something to laugh at!! (Phil said it should be in a museum!) With your current set up can you get into 98db events elsewhere? Thanks for all your help. Nathan
MK9R

posted on 1/7/08 at 06:45 AM Reply With Quote
Just won a 1999 R1 can on ebay for £15, i'll stick that on and see if it makes any difference. At least now i can combine my mufffler and this can to try and get the sound down

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jubal

posted on 1/7/08 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MK9R
Just won a 1999 R1 can on ebay for £15, i'll stick that on and see if it makes any difference. At least now i can combine my mufffler and this can to try and get the sound down

My blade was 101-3 static with an R1 can. It gradually got worse and only lasted a few trackdays. Good luck but don't book Donny just yet!

MK9R

posted on 1/7/08 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
CRAP!!!!!!! Mate has got a sound meter so going to do some testing

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
carnut

posted on 1/7/08 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
Does anyone know the cost of an mk can?
MK9R

posted on 1/7/08 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
HOw about fitting one of these inside the pipe before the can

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-Steel-Exhaust-Baffles-Extra-Long_W0QQitemZ250265170973QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item250265170973&_trkparms=72%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C65 %3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.