Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bolt Removal......
edspurrier

posted on 29/6/08 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
Bolt Removal......

Fitting cycle wings is diffisult when there's a headless bolt stuck in the hub. I've not managed to get it out by cutting a slot in it and trying to turn it with a screwdrive in a mole grip and a big lever - does anybody have any better ideas, or know a mobile stud remover near Stamford, before I take the front suspension apart?

THanks

ruskino80

posted on 29/6/08 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
can you weld an old socket onto it?

NS Dev

posted on 29/6/08 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
If its rusted in then it could be tricky, BUT, try the usual old trick of a dot/centre punch, applied slightly "inwards" at a tangent to the undoing direction, so as to tap it undone at the same time as digging in a bit, but inwards so it doesn't swage it into the surrounding upright too much.

Always works if the sheared bit is loose, but in an upright it probably sheared due to rust, in which case drill out and retap is the only real answer.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

donut

posted on 29/6/08 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
WD-40 sprayed on over a few days should ease it up a bit.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 29/6/08 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
Weld a nut on to the remains of the bolt, weld through the nut . The heat from welding and being able to apply torque should shift it. If the weld breaks then weld on another. . Have used this method loads with good results .Welding a socket on is a waste IMHO. If welding fails then drill and tap
blakep82

posted on 29/6/08 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Weld a nut on to the remains of the bolt, weld through the nut . The heat from welding and being able to apply torque should shift it. If the weld breaks then weld on another. . Have used this method loads with good results .Welding a socket on is a waste IMHO. If welding fails then drill and tap

ooh, i'd never thought of this way. i'd go with this one!

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

hillbillyracer

posted on 29/6/08 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
I've been using the weld a nut on method for years, you have to resourceful as an agric engineer
I've found that sometimes it's easier to weld a washer on first, mabye a touch smaller diameter than the stud you're taking out & then welding a nut to the top of that. This makes it easier to avoid welding the stud to the surrounding metalwork while getting a good weld.
I've drilled a hole right through the centre of the stud if it's something big so the weld can get down inside & help to shrink it while getting more hold.

rusty nuts

posted on 29/6/08 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I've found that sometimes it's easier to weld a washer on first, mabye a touch smaller diameter than the stud you're taking out & then welding a nut to the top of that. This makes it easier to avoid welding the stud to the surrounding metalwork while getting a good weld.
Good idea!

hillbillyracer

posted on 29/6/08 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
I learned the hard way! If you weld the stud to the upright you may need a new one which is a bugger but not beyond doing by any means. If you weld it to the gearbox which also acts as the chassis on a tractor then it's a bit more serious!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.