Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Tyres: ACB10's or R888
carnut

posted on 3/7/08 at 06:57 AM Reply With Quote
Tyres: ACB10's or R888

Are the r888's anything like as good as the avon acb10 tyres? Im considering them as they are quite a good price.
nib1980

posted on 3/7/08 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
I have R888 and I love them
bimbleuk

posted on 3/7/08 at 07:19 AM Reply With Quote
R888 or AO48 (medium) are pretty much the same so just buy which is cheaper at the time. Both good all round tyres for road and track.

The ACB10s are crossply and so will need geometry settings different to the above tyres. Which usually means using less negative camber. I've not tried them but they may be the beter dry track tyre at the expense of wet grip etc.

hobbsy

posted on 3/7/08 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
ACB10's are a lot lighter than R888's (I guess because of their cross ply construction).

Almost 1/2 the weight in some sizes.

But as you say R888's work ok in the damp whereas ACB10's are more likely to bite you in the arse.

PAUL FISHER

posted on 3/7/08 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Price is the key word,the R888 are around 1/2 the price of the acb10s,and as already confirmed above by bimbleuk and other races Ive spoken to about them set up is different with them being crossplys,they are also around 1/2 the weight of a R888,due to them not being steel belted,also some of the acb 10's are not road legal,so if your buying a set second and,you need to check if they are load rated,if your buying new,tell your supplier what you are using them for.
And again depending on what your using your car for,there's the new sg (super grip)compound out in the R888,great for sprint,hillclimb work,I have spoke to Toyo about this compound,they have said no good for a drive axle for track days or racing,but should work very well on a light car front steering axle for general track work,so I have got a couple of these to try,not got them on the car yet though,but will report back my findings.

carnut

posted on 3/7/08 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
Thats interesting about the soft compound as thats what I was going to get. Does any1 have any experience of using these tyres? Ive had my Proxy T1-s on for 4 years and done 8 trackdays and a season of drag racing on them with very little wear so my car is very light on tyres or t1-s's are very hard wearing.
PAUL FISHER

posted on 3/7/08 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carnut
Thats interesting about the soft compound as thats what I was going to get. Does any1 have any experience of using these tyres? Ive had my Proxy T1-s on for 4 years and done 8 trackdays and a season of drag racing on them with very little wear so my car is very light on tyres or t1-s's are very hard wearing.

Don't get the sg compound for your drive axle though,they have been designed for sprints etc 1 to 2 miles runs when you need them up to temperature very quick,after that they will be like chewing gum,like driving on ice,the standard r888 tend to start going off after 5 or 6 hard laps,the soft compound would be great for your drag racing though,you could aways get the standard compound for the rear,soft for the fronts,and just swap them over for the day when your drag racingI thought you ran slicks on your drag racing days Mark

carnut

posted on 4/7/08 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
I dont do drag racing any more. I find I have more on track days or just driving on the road. I think I better get the standard compound.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.