Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Best choice of heater unit?
James

posted on 10/7/08 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
Best choice of heater unit?

Choices seem to be limited to either Mk1(?) Polo or maybe mini.... or design my own.

Are they just the smallest ones? Or are there any better/other/more efficient types I should consider?

Thanks!

James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Paul TigerB6

posted on 10/7/08 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
Are you actually after a proper heater to keep you warm or just something to demist the screen??

If the later, then Car Builder Solutions to an electric heater / demister just for the job.

linky

scutter

posted on 10/7/08 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Thicker coat

ATB Dan.

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 10/7/08 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
Reliant Robin heater may be suitable?
BenB

posted on 10/7/08 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Homebrew. Oil cooler, some GRP/CF sheet and a suitable fan and voila! Locost and light
zetec7

posted on 11/7/08 at 04:56 AM Reply With Quote
Austin Mini? That's what I'm using, and it fits a treat!

http://www.freewebs.com/zetec7/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RK

posted on 11/7/08 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
I would have thought that the engine heat would be enough, even for the cool winds of Olde Victoria.

I'm going to deal with that issue later: leaning towards an electric seat/blanket from WalMart to go into the old cigarette lighter recepticle I'm installing.

James

posted on 11/7/08 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
I want it to demist screen, side screens when the car is fully hooded.

And ideally warm the driver/passenger a bit when it's not doing the screen.

I've done it so far by removing the driver/engine firewall, but I'm not so sure that's a good long-term solution!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

RK

posted on 11/7/08 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
Holy burnt feet Batman! Sounds a bit dangerous to me, but I don't know this first hand.
James

posted on 11/7/08 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, as I said only temporary measure!

It was actually just an experiment to see if the reason the bonnet bulging open at the scuttle at speed was due to air pressure in the engine bay.... it was! Soon as I removed the ali plate the bonnet settled down as the engine bay hot air could get out.
Proved to me that the louvres in the top of Caterham bonnets were for a reason!

Also meant that when driving it all through a rainy November 2006 I was nice and warm!

When sitting at traffic lights in the front, I just switched the manual radiator fan switch and warm air would blow over the engine and exhaust manifold and then over me... nice and toasty feet!

Cheers,
James

quadra

posted on 13/7/08 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
What you need is a turbocharger, you will never be cold again!
MakeEverything

posted on 9/8/08 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
on mine, i think im going to explore the possibilities of a marine hearer, thats boat heater, not military goretex or softie jacket!!
They run on the tinyest amount of diesel or parraffin, but are very very efficient. Trouble is, they do get bloody hot, so probably best kept away from fuel tanks.....

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.