mackei23b

posted on 15/7/08 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
Sand Rail

I've decided I want one of these Rescued attachment Sand Rail.JPG
Rescued attachment Sand Rail.JPG

Mr Whippy

posted on 15/7/08 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
go for it

How much do you know about the vw engine? Their a bit mad compared to an ordinary engine, the rest of the running gear is stupidly simple. A 1600 will make that fly. In the past you would still need an old bug for the suspension parts and hubs, gearbox, engine etc but these days I’d not bother since there are so many after market parts going around, the front axle is very prone to rust around the shock towers so look out for that, personally I’d just buy a new beam with adjusters. 1303 models are no use for these cars BTW, wrong suspension setup.

[Edited on 15/7/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ivan

posted on 15/7/08 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
Looks cool - go for it

Big Stu

posted on 15/7/08 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
Looks ace, have you got somewhere local to use it?
Dangle_kt

posted on 15/7/08 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
(EDIT - BIG STU TYPES FASTER THAN ME!!)

without being an ar5e.... do you live near the desert?

I've heard of loads of guys building similar contraptions and then have no where to drive them.

Local beaches won't let you on, which forces you to drive the illegally - so you invest hours and hours and end up having a stolen 5 mins driving it every few months.

The guys that build these have hundreds of square miles of empty dunes to play in, and that would be AWESOME - but to have it sat in the garage would be soul destroying.

Off road riding/driving is dying in the UK due to all the "not in my backyard" types.

Its a crying shame as I'd love to build something like that.

Just my take on them.

[Edited on 15/7/08 by Dangle_kt]

Mr Whippy

posted on 15/7/08 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
The beach at Aberdeen is open to the public, it’s quite mental too with many large open areas with dunes to ramp off, my buggy is a tad to heavy plus my rear tyres are mud terrains and not much use in deep sand as they dig in, once their down to road tire tread depth then they’ll be perfect. You need square shallow tread on the back and narrow front tyres with the groves running round the tyre, i.e. Rubbish ones, the more dangerous in the wet the better Watch for sand being thrown over the engine, mine flings it for about 30ft, sponge air filters are the ones to use, don’t oil them.

oh and you will run rings round anyone with a Landy in the mud

[Edited on 15/7/08 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Surrey Dave

posted on 15/7/08 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah!

Always liked the look of the Fugitive cars , same design.
myke pocock

posted on 15/7/08 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
Quote:-
Off road riding/driving is dying in the UK due to all the "not in my backyard" types.

This is generally true but there is one form of off-road driving that is surviving and thriving, Classic Trialling. If you saw the 5th Gear report on the MCC's Exeter Trial you will know about it. If you go to the MCC's web site I believe theres a link to the programme. Also information is on the ACTC's (Association of Classic Trials Clubs ) web site. There are some road legal sand rail type vehicles that compete, notably a guy called Adrian Marfell. He has a Fugitive (I believe) based car with a 2 litre Alfa engine stuffed up its chuff. Dont arf go!!!

Mr Whippy

posted on 15/7/08 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
Possible chassis on e-bay

Roof rails need welded back on but it's all there

http://forums.fugitives.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=811

Dangle_kt

posted on 15/7/08 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by myke pocock
Quote:-

This is generally true but there is one form of off-road driving that is surviving and thriving, Classic Trialling. If you saw the 5th Gear report on the MCC's Exeter Trial you will know about it. If you go to the MCC's web site I believe theres a link to the programme. Also information is on the ACTC's (Association of Classic Trials Clubs ) web site. There are some road legal sand rail type vehicles that compete, notably a guy called Adrian Marfell. He has a Fugitive (I believe) based car with a 2 litre Alfa engine stuffed up its chuff. Dont arf go!!!

Sorry, I'm only talking from experience on a motorcycle front - plus irregular compettion is very different from regular practice type venues.

Its something to do with laws controlling how many days farmland can be used for motorsport in a year - effectivly closing down a large proportion of practice venues, and those that survive do so under the constant threat of a single noise complaint shutting them down forever.

Will the last one out of Britain please turn off the lights...

wilkingj

posted on 15/7/08 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
If it a public area, then ALL the rules of the road apply.
ie you will need SVA, tax insurance MoT, etc etc.

Unless its Completely private, and then it doesnt apply, provided you have the land owners permission so you are not trespassing.

Takes Tesco's car park. It is probably privately owned by Tesco's. However its a public place so you ned tax Mot Insurance etc.

Be very carefull where you drive. You need to be legal and have insurace.
On a public beach... suppose you ran over a kiddy. You would get prosecuted, and the vehicle crushed for no insurance etc. The beack and dunes are a public place, and probably owned by the coucil.

Dont take the risks.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

Mr Whippy

posted on 15/7/08 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
If it a public area, then ALL the rules of the road apply.
ie you will need SVA, tax insurance MoT, etc etc.

Unless its Completely private, and then it doesnt apply, provided you have the land owners permission so you are not trespassing.

Takes Tesco's car park. It is probably privately owned by Tesco's. However its a public place so you ned tax Mot Insurance etc.

Be very carefull where you drive. You need to be legal and have insurace.
On a public beach... suppose you ran over a kiddy. You would get prosecuted, and the vehicle crushed for no insurance etc. The beack and dunes are a public place, and probably owned by the coucil.

Dont take the risks.

a good point though, my buggy is road legal. Also don't drive anywhere you haven't checked first, flying leaps over sunbathers are a no no

Werner Van Loock

posted on 15/7/08 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
I always liked the uva fugitive, like this one:

http://www.shining-wit.net/rick/buggy/fugitive/

http://www.clubstylus.be

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.