Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Do I own my number plate?
Stuart Walker

posted on 22/7/08 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
Do I own my number plate?

Hi,

If I want to sell the number plate on my car (which is just a normal number, not a private plate), do I need to register it as mine, or do I automatically own it by owning the vehicle?

I know it sounds like a silly question but I thought I heard once that you don't actually own the plate unless you buy it as a private plate??

Thanks,
Stu

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ben_Copeland

posted on 23/7/08 at 05:55 AM Reply With Quote
It should say on your V5C logbook if its non-transferable.......

I dont know the answer tbh, just check the V5C first

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Howlor

posted on 23/7/08 at 06:43 AM Reply With Quote
If you were issued it by the DVLA and it is a non Q then you should be fine to sell it. As above anything that is non transferable will say on the V5.

Steve

mad4x4

posted on 23/7/08 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
Guess you do own it -

No probs though in transfering a "normal Plate" onto another car.

Reason: Itransfered a plate from a 1974 landy on to my 1992 car and since then it has been moved to each car I have subsequently owned -"Private Plate". Yet I didn;t pay DVLA for the plate it came iwth the old landy. So guess this may answer your question

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

coozer

posted on 23/7/08 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
I had a number on retention on a V750 that i 'bought' off DVLA. I paid the transfer fee of £80 when I bought it but the V750 only lasts 1 year.

I got a letter reminder stating if I did not extend the V750 (£25) I would loose the tranfer right and the ownership of the number. Not renewing the V750 would result in the number going back to DVLA and I would loose all the money spent.

The number now sits on my MNR and was describedas 'cherished' when I registered the car.

Hope that helps
Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

owelly

posted on 23/7/08 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
You don't own the VRM. The number is issued by the DVLA and can be withdrawn at any time. The DVLA own the number. You can buy the right to display the number via several companies but it always involves the DVLA as they still own the number! And even after you have piad for the right to display the number, should you be reported for incorrect use of that plate, it can be withdrawn.
In answer to your quezzy, you can transfer, or hold on retention, almost any VRM. But not a Q or one that has been issued to cover an age related plate that has been lost.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
owelly

posted on 23/7/08 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
Damn you double post.......

[Edited on 23/7/08 by owelly]

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

Stuart Walker

posted on 23/7/08 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
ok - thanks, very helpful.

Hopefully I can sell the plate, build a garage, fix the MG and finish the Locost!

JoelP

posted on 23/7/08 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
is it something thats just come relevant?!

N421 MAX

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.