Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Digital SLR (again)
NigeEss

posted on 29/7/08 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
Digital SLR (again)

Decided to get into the DSLR game at last but don't really want to spend much more than
£500 as I know it'll be totally obsolete in about five minutes.

Don't need "beginner" idiot modes as I am fairly competent with SLR having had a few over
the years last one being a Canon EOS50N, awesome bit of kit but never used half it's features.
Performance and good optics over zillions of functions but image stabilisation would be
nice.

Suggestions please.

tegwin

posted on 29/7/08 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Canon 450D....or wait a few months and get the 1000D...(basically the 450D with a different sticker)...

Get a good IS (image stabilising) lens....and jobs a goodun..

The canon Auto functions are good, but the manual ones are better..

I have had my 400D for 13 months and have shot off 8930 photos...Im almost spent!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Mark G

posted on 29/7/08 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
I have an olympus E-510, It's both very easy to use and has some great features including live view, image stabilisation and automatic sensor cleaning. Its a great bit of kit. I paid 650 gbp for it with the twin lens kit almost a year ago and would recomend it to anyone.

the new version (E-520) has just been released so I'd imagine its a great time to get a E-510 at a bargain price.

Edit to add that the is is in the body so will wirk with any lens you fit. You can also select so that the is only work on one axis which is great for motorspirt shots.

[Edited on 29/7/08 by Mark G]

Liam

posted on 29/7/08 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
For that kind of price it's near impossible to beat the Olympus E510 twin lens kit. I've got the older E500 and it's great. 510 adds live-view and in-body image stabilisation (i.e. works on any lens). The kit lenses are decent too. That's only £435 on amazon which is an absolute bargain and will give you room in the budget for a spare battery and a decent memory card.

Or the new E520 (just been released) twin lens kit is £550.

Or you could be like most other people and think only Canon and Nikon make cameras

Liam

EDIT: ^^^ Beat me to it - great minds etc etc

[Edited on 29/7/08 by Liam]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
marmot0

posted on 29/7/08 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
Secondhand nikon d200
peteday_uk@btinternet.com

posted on 29/7/08 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
look @ the nikon range the are very good. I have a cheapish one @ £450 and a freind of mine has reasonably expensive one both are excelent. Which ever camera you end up with be sure to buy a good quality zoom lens as this really does make a world of difference.

Pete

Hellfire

posted on 29/7/08 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
Pick up a few copies of Practical Phtographer and review, review, review.

The latest Sony (can't recall the number) beats everything around the £500 mark including the Canon 450...

I've had Olympus both SLR and DSLR - when handled properly they do seem a little fragile. I have a Canon 20D now... and not looking at upgrading any time in the future. Anything more than 6MP in my book just clutters up your hard drive - gives you no minimal gains in quality upto A4 size (in price comparison).

People not in the know - seem to think the higher the resolution, the better the image - which is not necessarily true. It is well known that pictures printed at over 300dpi the quality is almost indeciferable on a standard 8" x 6". Get a decent camera - not too big on the MP say upto 8MP maybe... get a good quality range of lenses with the money you save.

In my opinion the Mega Pixel race is a case of "my dicks bigger than your dick, brigade" to which I tend to shirk. Get a camera suitable for your purpose.

Steve

austin man

posted on 29/7/08 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
check out Jessops online
alister667

posted on 29/7/08 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
About a month ago I got a Canon 40D for £629 but I then got a £100 cashback from Canon, leaving it costing £529, but that was for body only, so you'd need money for lenses. I'm very impressed with it I must say.

My photos are up on Flickr

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeR

posted on 30/7/08 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
just bought a 450d with kit 18-55 image stabilised lens, 468 delivered from amazon + i get 50 cash back from Canon.

From all the reviews i've recently read the Canon and Sony are pretty much on par with each other (i take the reviews with a bit of salt due to the fact i know people advertise in the mags and that affects how scores are generated - esp if someone gets a first view etc - mate works in the magazine industry).

Decided on Canon due to the 300/ 350/ 400 being so popular there is lots of lenses out there and lots of second hand kit + with it being so popular (400d is the most popular camera on flickr) it will be easier to sell kit on.

Now looking at a 50-250 zoom lens with IS and a f1.8 50mm lens. (except thats another 180 + 65 quid!). Friends spend 90% of their time using the equiv f1.8 50mm lens when taking scenery, portrait, random pictures hence for 65 quid it seems a sound investment.

andyharding

posted on 30/7/08 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
2nd the Canon EOS route. I had a 350D for a while then upgraded to a 30D cracking bit of kit. That said the lens plays a bigger part than the camera, I'd rather go for the 350D and an L series lens than the 30D and a cheap lens.

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

Mr Whippy

posted on 30/7/08 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alister667
About a month ago I got a Canon 40D for £629 but I then got a £100 cashback from Canon, leaving it costing £529, but that was for body only, so you'd need money for lenses. I'm very impressed with it I must say.

My photos are up on Flickr

very good photo's

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

alister667

posted on 30/7/08 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Many thanks!

Obviously a man of fine taste and judgement.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/alister667/

Hellfire

posted on 30/7/08 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
I second the compliment on your pictures Ali... just goes to show that no matter how good your camera/lens - if you have no artistic flair, your chances of getting a decent photo are very limited.

In days gone by I studied photography to A Level but the cost of developing films etc was getting ridiculous!!! Now it's much quicker and easier to produce and edit (Photoshop) the images, but the difference between a good and an exceptional photographer is still as large.

I have the standard lens on my 20D which is quite simply the cheapest nastiest lens I have ever had the displeasure to use, it is RUBBISH! My 300 IS 2.8 is however awesome in comparison. trouble is the near four figure sum! Still, at least I know I can sell it on... when/if I need to

Steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.