Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Using flexi fuel hose in the tunnel?
tegwin

posted on 17/8/08 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Using flexi fuel hose in the tunnel?

Been stripping down more of the Classic TVR today and discovered that the plastic fuel pipe from the tank to the pump has degraded so badly it literally shattered into hundreds of pieces when I tried to remove it...

It was just cable tied to the chassis inside the tunnel...

I need to replace said hose...

I had considered just replacing it directly with a length of approved fuel hose...But im not 100% happy with the idea of a flexi rubber hose just cable tied to the chassis...

However, I may have no choice, as access is very difficult to get in and do anything more elaborate...

So, provided I secure the hose well enough that it wont chafe against anything...would it be deemed acceptable? Or should I be looking at an alternative solution?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

blakep82

posted on 17/8/08 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
rubber hose should be fine i think. if you're worried about it wearing through, there's always stainless braid hose i guess (thats what i'm going to use)

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

tegwin

posted on 17/8/08 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
I had considered stainless braid..

But after reading a crash report involving a piston helicopter and braided fuel hose...Im not really all too enthusiastic about it now!

But out of interest, where were you looking for the stainless braid?

[Edited on 17/8/08 by tegwin]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

austin man

posted on 17/8/08 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
I am using microbore copper pipe for my fuel u can get it in 8 and 10 mm then use p clips
mookaloid

posted on 17/8/08 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
I think I'd try to get a length of copper in there if possible. I guess it depends on how good your access to the tunnel is though.

I would prefer to keep the lengths of rubber to a minimum and to places where I can see them to check for deterioration...

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

blakep82

posted on 17/8/08 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
I had considered stainless braid..

But after reading a crash report involving a piston helicopter and braided fuel hose...Im not really all too enthusiastic about it now!

But out of interest, where were you looking for the stainless braid?

[Edited on 17/8/08 by tegwin]

i was looking at rally design, but they only seem to do short lengths. i know longer stuff can be had, becasue a lot of race cars run fuel lines inside and they use braided hose

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

colt_mivec

posted on 17/8/08 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin

What happened to the helicopter?

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 17/8/08 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote
If you use flexi all the way through you car will permanently smell of petrol all the time.....

tegwin

posted on 18/8/08 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
Its a TVR...its going to smell of glue anyway

Re-the R-22....
Basically due to bad maintinance and dodgy paperwork the retaining P clip for the braided fuel pipe between the fuel pump and carb was not re-fitted properly.

This allowed the Braided hose a small but significant movement that caused the braid to chaffe.... The braid split and punctured the rubber inner hose several times causing the fuel to atomise out of the hole into the engine bay....

Although the cockpit was filled with smoke the pilot managed to land and evacuate before the aircraft was engulfed in flames....

The fuel hose was the correct Robinson part, so was of pretty high quality...

Deffinately an accident worth noting in the kit car community!

I have had a look for the AAIB crash report but no luck...Its out there somewhere!

DarrenW

posted on 18/8/08 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
i used braided - mac#1 supplied it by the metre.

Ive also used 5/16" kunifer on a previous project. Again easily available.

wilkingj

posted on 18/8/08 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
I used 8mm Copper heating pipe. Then I covered it with the 10mm convoluted tubing, and secured with P clips.

Its been in there 3 years, and 4400 miles and is OK so far.

Remember to keep electrical wiring away from the fuel pipes.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bluemoon

posted on 18/8/08 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't use rubber hose, it's likely to need replacing in a short amount of time, I would probably look at using copper or some hardline plastic..

Dan

rusty nuts

posted on 18/8/08 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
If the car has carbs then plastic fuel pipe will be fine , easy to use and not too expensive. Think Robin Hood/ Lolocost sell it .Fuel hose on the other hand is bulky, dearer and likely to perish quickly.( do a search?) 5/16 Kunifer is fairly easy to use and less likely to kink than microbore copper although more expensive
02GF74

posted on 19/8/08 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
if possible, I would recommend using solid pipe otherwise get some proper fuel hose, especially if it is braided.

what has happened, on here recently, is that the hose perished but being braided, it was not possible to see that is had perished - search the posts as form where this suttf was purchased.

I have fitted short lengths of braided petrol hose from VWP and 8 years on, it is still fine, well to be more exact, I have not noticed petrol leak nor smell as I have not examined it.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.