Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Best Recovery Package
grassracer

posted on 20/8/08 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
Best Recovery Package

Assuming you can get a sensible(ish) answer to any question on here...try this one
I'm looking at a recovery service ie AA RAC and the like, my basic requirements are roadside assistance/ recovery if needed for a 52 plate people carrier though I regularly tow a car trailer and race car behind, obviously I need the service to include recovery of the trailer should the car have problems as well. Must be national coverage and of course cheap!!!
Suggestions please....

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
jimgiblett

posted on 20/8/08 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
The best value I have found is when you get it packaged with your car insurance policy. I think it worked out at less than £40 for roadside assistance and recovery for my wife's 7yr old Volvo.

Europ Assist were good value (and service) too.

- Jim

Humbug

posted on 20/8/08 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
Try Auto Aid - you might need to pay extra for trailers (not sure) but the basic package is something like £34/year for you and spouse for any car you drive, UK only. If you need to call out, you pay and reclaim. It gets a very good writeup from Marting Lewis (MoneySavingExpert). I'm with them... though I haven't had to call them out yet!

http://www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/

02GF74

posted on 20/8/08 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
try Shires.

The Horse that is. I tow one in a box and on the few occassions I have broken down, I hitch the horse to the car and off we go. Just a few bales of grass a week, so it works out really cheap and environmentally friendly. It does struggle a bit uphill but then that is what the whip is for.

bob

posted on 20/8/08 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
I've got my recovery bolted onto my insurance from sureterm £28.50.

You would have to ask though re trailers, i am sure i have read on here somewhere that the AA do car and trailer/caravan recovery package.

carpmart

posted on 20/8/08 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
I was with Direct Line breakdown insurance for 8 years and never called them out once. Changed to RAC in June and have a run of bad luck meaning that they have recovered me twice (once was this weekend with my race truck and caravan) and attended the roadside on one other occasion. I can't fault the service and based on the premium I payed its been excellent value for money.

Have a feeling that they may not 'invite' me to renew as I may be too high risk for them

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

Minicooper

posted on 20/8/08 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
Most of these recovery firms bolted to insurance policies only cover 25 miles something like that, you have to pay additional for any additional mileage check the small print

Cheers
David

Gaz7612

posted on 20/8/08 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
I'm with Halford not that I've used it (touch wood)
Its also very cheap and worth a look

twybrow

posted on 20/8/08 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Do you need cover from home as well? Most breakdowns in my xperience, you come to the car and it wont work (especialyl when cold/wet). A standard recovery package normally excludes home start, but I would suggest it is worth the extra cost.

RAC for the last 10 years for me. Never been disappointed with the attendance time, or ability of the patrols. Worth the wonga any day of the week for peace of mind.

omega 24 v6

posted on 20/8/08 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
I have RAC through my tesco clubcard. The whole family (5 of us) 3 cars and any car any of you happen to be in. Roadside recovery and onward travel for £50 ish IIRC. They cover IIRC up to seven passengers and trailer/caravan but there are some exceptions such as no commercials i.e. transit vans and the like also there are maximum weight restrictions as well.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

martyn_16v

posted on 20/8/08 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
I had a massive argument with Green Flag after they tried to charge the mrs for a recovery. Turns out in their small print they don't cover 'mechanical breakdowns'. So what the hell do they actually do then?

Paul (Notts)

posted on 20/8/08 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
Been with the AA for 17 years - excellent service, on one occasion they picked me up on the m62 near hull took the car home to Maltby Sheffield ( late at night ) Then came back the next morning to take the car to the garage as it was shut the night before.

Paul

Danozeman

posted on 20/8/08 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Iv got brittania rescue through the csma. Cant remember how much it is but not alot compared with other places and it covers me for everything. Even a trailer on the back.

Its worth reading the small print of the one sthrough your insurance and the cheaper policies. They actually cover sod all. Most of them if you breakdown and they cant fix it theyl dump you at the nearest garage and sod off.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

Ben_Copeland

posted on 20/8/08 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
I've got AA roadside/relay. They delivered a car trailer with a missing wheel from the top of scotland down to bottom corner of Kent. No problem, took them 2 days mind!

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

UncleFista

posted on 20/8/08 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Check out ADAC, the German recovery company.
They use Greenflag in the UK, but their cover is Europe wide.

Often recommended by 'ring regulars.

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

JoelP

posted on 20/8/08 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
im with aa, nowhere near as cheap as some figures quoted but they recovered my van without even mentioning commercial use. Home start doesnt interest me, i dont see any problems with being stuck at home! Stuck in rotherham would be an entirely different story

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.