Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: best socket set supplier?
hellier0437

posted on 20/8/08 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
best socket set supplier?

Just wondering what people judge to be the best make of socket set. I've been using an OK set (halfords professional) up untill now, but would really like a good one, any ideas?
mookaloid

posted on 20/8/08 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Most of the professionals I know swear by Snap On. I know one guy who has MAC tools but I think he has a sneaky admiration for Snap On and wishes he had gone that way now.

Cheers

MArk

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

blakep82

posted on 20/8/08 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
halfords pro are guaranteed for life. if they break its free replacement. can't go wrong there i think

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

BenB

posted on 20/8/08 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Halfords pro for me!!
Can't beat a Snap-on ratchet but I'd go for the Halfords pro sockets.... (ie cheaper and if I rip 'em open with too much gusto on the breaker bar I can take them back ).....

RichardK

posted on 20/8/08 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
I've still got my Teng socket set that my parents bought me when I was 16 and swear by it even after 20 years of regular use.

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Fatgadget

posted on 20/8/08 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
King Dick for me any time.
blakep82

posted on 20/8/08 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
lol king dick

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Duncan Mould

posted on 20/8/08 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
Draper do a nice set for about £80 in a large blue box 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 all chrome vanadium and i use them to teach school kids with everyday. Draper are normally pretty crap but these socket sets are great. I am an ex mechanic £8000 worth of tools, Snap on ratchets, spanners and pliers but all of my sockets are cheapies because snap on wont give you a newone if you break one. You can get some cracking socket sets from autojumbles. We buy those Draper sets from BOC.
davie h

posted on 20/8/08 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Duncan Mould
Draper do a nice set for about £80 in a large blue box 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 all chrome vanadium and i use them to teach school kids with everyday. Draper are normally pretty crap but these socket sets are great. I am an ex mechanic £8000 worth of tools, Snap on ratchets, spanners and pliers but all of my sockets are cheapies because snap on wont give you a newone if you break one. You can get some cracking socket sets from autojumbles. We buy those Draper sets from BOC.

im also an ex mechanic and the snap on guy i used to use would replace any sockets even if they were worn (more because i was spending a bloody fortune with him most weeks)

Davie

Danozeman

posted on 21/8/08 at 05:44 AM Reply With Quote
Snap on are good but not what they used to be. To expensive for home use too.

Halfords are good tools especially the pro range. If you can get a trade card the price goes down considerably.. Teng are good to and are quite reasonable in screwfix. Depends how much you want to spend really aswell. Ive got some halfords standard sets at home and ive have them on a 24 inch snap on breaker bar with all my weight on and the bar curving and theyv never let go. Also theres a chappy at my work and all his sockets are halfords that he uses all day everyday.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

designer

posted on 21/8/08 at 06:08 AM Reply With Quote
Overall Halfords are the best.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
wilkingj

posted on 21/8/08 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
I have Halfords Pro range sockets.
Cheaper than Snap On, and still guaranteed for life.

Had them about 8 years, only changed one of the screwdriver bladed sockets, and no quibble at the store.
Cant fault them for the money.

Get my vote every time.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

mr henderson

posted on 21/8/08 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
Halfords Pro for me too.

John

ceebmoj

posted on 21/8/08 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Danozeman
Snap on are good but not what they used to be. To expensive for home use too.

Halfords are good tools especially the pro range. If you can get a trade card the price goes down considerably.. Teng are good to and are quite reasonable in screwfix. Depends how much you want to spend really aswell. Ive got some halfords standard sets at home and ive have them on a 24 inch snap on breaker bar with all my weight on and the bar curving and theyv never let go. Also theres a chappy at my work and all his sockets are halfords that he uses all day everyday.

how do you get a trade cars and what sort of discount do you get?

trextr7monkey

posted on 21/8/08 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
It seems that you originally had to be in the motor trade togetone butrecently they are given out at"managers discretion" so jus ta case of finding the nice young lady rather than the grumpy old man - tell them you build kit cars and spend thousands on new parts (LOL!!) and you should be able toget one.
good luck
Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

twybrow

posted on 21/8/08 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
I have a Draper expert set and it has been brilliant. The previous Draper value set I had (very budget!) was made of monkey metal. I spoke to Draper, and they replaced all of the broken parts with Draper expert parts. I have since bought an expert set and it is wonderful!

Paul TigerB6

posted on 21/8/08 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
If what you have do the job you want of them then why spend loads of cash buying "better"?? Put the cash into something more worthwhile such as beer or car upgrades.
hellier0437

posted on 21/8/08 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the replies, the main reson I want "the best" is that I'm driving down africa and back in march and I don't really want a socket to break when I'm brocken down in the middle of the sahara desert! Am I to understand from the replies that snap-on ratchets are superior but that sockets from other brands (eg halfords) are just (or very nearly) as good as the snap-on ones?
big_wasa

posted on 21/8/08 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
No the Halfords socketts arnt as good as snap-on, but they are upto the job.
Blue Fox

posted on 21/8/08 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
I work as a service engineer and use Kennedy from Cromwells. Can't fault them really especially for the price. I really give them some abuse as well regularly using the normal sockets on rattle guns and they are still fine 2 years on. Halfords pro stuff is good as well, I have a halfords pro spanner set and thats always been good!
Danozeman

posted on 21/8/08 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
If you are driving down to africa you dont want really expensive tools in the car incase they get nicked.

Iv got laser tools ratchets at home. Very good quality and not bad priced.

As for the trade card, if you go in there and tell them you do lots of work on cars especially on sundays and will be buying lots of parts they should give you one. Look for the most gimpish looking chav and he should just give you one anyway.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

rusty nuts

posted on 21/8/08 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
No one has mentioned Britool sockets, always found them to be as good as Snap on myself but not as easy to get hold of.
adithorp

posted on 21/8/08 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
Second Britool. They're also pretty good value (unlike Snap-On).

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

DarrenW

posted on 21/8/08 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Cant go far wrong with halfords PRO FOR diy use. Ive got their ratchets and sockets from RS. Never had an issue with this combo. Also got a set of Clarke impact sockets. Long power bar for good measure.

Peteff

posted on 22/8/08 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
I have a couple of old Kamasa socket sets, 3/8" and 1/2" and while the ratchets have broken and been replaced with Facom and Britool the sockets have been well used and stood up to everything with no breakages. Don't get into brand name chasing just for the sake of spending your hard earned, the Halford Pro are as good as any you'll get.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.