Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Can anyone make me a pair of these?!
grazzledazzle

posted on 25/8/08 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
Can anyone make me a pair of these?!

Hello.
I've got to do an unexpected engine swap and i'm skint.
Coupled with the fact that my car is currently squatting in someone else's garage and they need to be able to move it around i need something like these:

Does anyone reckon they could knock something like this up for me? Obviously i will pay for them, it's just i can't afford machine mart at the moment, and i'm sure i could make them but i don't have a welder anymore. They don't need to be elegant just do the job.

Just thought i would ask in case anyone fancies it?

worX

posted on 25/8/08 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
There are plenty of people that could make them for you, but you could be overthinking them somewhat.

You could easily make them yourself out of wood and woodscrews and castors.
All from B&Q places and all for not a lot of money...

HTH
Steve

blakep82

posted on 25/8/08 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
^true enough, but if you want metal ones, most people on here could do it, but where do you live?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Slater

posted on 25/8/08 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
nip down to local supermarket, they will have lots of cage thingys on sturdy wheels for stocking the shelves, blag one for a fiver, remove the cage section. Job done.

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

grazzledazzle

posted on 25/8/08 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
Thanks for the responses. I live in London, car currently squatting in west yorkshire. I'm sure they could be done in timber but would prefer metal, my dad can use them when i'm finished.

Funnily enough just been in Sainsbury's caught a glimpse of there stuff before i read this! Unfortunately not really up to the job i think. Plus being in South London i will basically got told to f@ck off!

blakep82

posted on 25/8/08 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
try boots in wood green, when i was there we used to leave our cages outside day and night. so under the cover of darkness...

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Slater

posted on 25/8/08 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
the cages will easily take a full load of 2lit coke bottles, which I guess is over 1,000 kg, so will take the weight of a seven. Most supermarkets will have some duff ones lying about round the back somewhere.

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

Peteff

posted on 25/8/08 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
Bread trolleys with some 4x2 packing on top. I balanced my car on one in the middle and you can spin it round in its' own length.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

grazzledazzle

posted on 25/8/08 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
I've had a look around ebay from some trolleys / cages, there are some which look good but by the time i've had the angle grinder on them i realised i could have made the trolleys above from mild steel and castors and bolt them together rather than weld for the princely sum of about £20 each finished.

I can't see any reason why 3mm wall hollow section steel bolted with heavy duty castors wouldn't be fine?

locoboy

posted on 25/8/08 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Where are you getting your castors from if you can get them all + other bits for £20?

ATB
Locoboy

grazzledazzle

posted on 25/8/08 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
Spoke to a friend who works for an engineering firm. 8no. 120mm heavy duty ball bearing flight case castors delivered to my door for £28. Max weight 600kg over 4 so should be fine.
grazzledazzle

posted on 25/8/08 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
Although just looking at steel prices, It's gone through the roof since i last bought some so maybe a bit optimistic.

Anyway will let you know how i get on.

Cheers.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.