Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Mk or Aries
EasyJimbo

posted on 26/8/08 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
Mk or Aries

Hi All
I thought I had made my mind up to go for a MK but after speaking to the guys at MK they seemed very BEC focused and being a beginner I think it would be better for me to stick with car engines. I want to ideally use a zetec or pinto engine and wondered if there are many owners on here of either a MK or Aries (Stuart Taylor) that could help me make my mind up :-). Aries seem very helpful and being a newby to all this that is important. Any Aries owners around Bristol/South west?
thanks a confused
James

Surrey Dave

posted on 26/8/08 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
Size

Not sure how tall the Aries bodywork is , used to be Stuart Taylor?
which was close to original book dimensions , in which case it is not easy to get a Zetec or Pinto under the bonnet line .

coozer

posted on 26/8/08 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
OT, but my zetec is lost in my MNR, loads of room. Get one, quick!

Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

ReMan

posted on 26/8/08 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
How ever you found MK, it makes so little difference whether its CEC or BEC to them, so unless you want them to do it for you I would'nt worry. You'll get all the help you need here.
I remeber going to see ST when I was looking and he nearly talked me out of a BEC and then out of his kit altogether!

Choose the engine thats right for you and drive it, till you're ready for a BEC

Hellfire

posted on 26/8/08 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
Whichever kit you ultimately decide, do it once and do it right. Fit a bike engine.............

Phil

eznfrank

posted on 26/8/08 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
Do you think you should go CEC because you think BEC will be too complicated or are you wary of the speed?? I bought an Indy as a beginner and chucked a ZX12 in it and the build is going fine. If it's purely technical side your worried about you'll find plenty of help on here.

I'd always say just build your ideal car according to your available budget.

mr_pr

posted on 26/8/08 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
I got taken out in a BEC last Friday for the first time.

Personally, I can't think of any other option than BEC now. (Unless I had the money for a R500 Superlite.)

Humbug

posted on 26/8/08 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
The Aries (ex-Stuart Taylor) bodywork is low. I've got a K-series in mine and I had to raise the nose cone up 3cm and still needed a small scoop.
001Ben

posted on 26/8/08 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
definately go BEC. I have an R1 in my stuart taylor and it fits nice and snug, i couldn't imagine what a pinto or zetec lump would look like or even if you could work on it when its in there. (if it ever got in there)

What do you plan on using the car for?

Richard Quinn

posted on 26/8/08 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
Once again, a this manufacturer or that manufacturer question turns into a BEC/CEC debate. We just can't help ourselves can we?
I'm a little biased so will offer no comment. I would definitely try to see both in the flesh and talk to the builders in depth about any issues they've had.
Make sure you try a ride in both a BEC and CEC before you decide on the engine option. I have been a fan of car engines for the 20+ years I have been in and around motorsport and was always cvinced that bike engines were for bikes but one ride out in a BEC and that's what I'm building! That having been said, it really depends what you want the car for.
Sorry, that was more on the BEC/CEC debate. Get an Aries because I've got one!

Triton

posted on 26/8/08 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
The Mac1's are ideal for both bike and car motors and helpfull lads make the world of difference especially if you have never built a kit before

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
EasyJimbo

posted on 26/8/08 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the useful replies guys.

I got slightly put off a BEC after speaking to Aries as he said this wasnt ideal for a beginner and they can be hard work on the road. I guess in hindsight I need to try one and see. I want to use the car on the road and at the track. Aries said that he will be building the aries with a zetec lump in it before xmas. But after reading all the replies here the feeling is that perhaps I shouldnt be put off a BEC (and MK). Perhaps my next step is to have a go in a MK BEC and see what I think..
I am concnerned about the build and hard tough it might be and after being told by Aries that these are tougher than a car engine that put extra doubt in my mind..
MK said that a bike engine would be 1-2k, is that right or can you do a BEC on a budget..?
thanks
james

Hellfire

posted on 26/8/08 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
ZX9's, older blades and even R1's can be had for around £500. There's nothing difficult about fitting a bike engine. You certainly don't need all the lifting equipment associated with a car engine.

Phil

MK chippy

posted on 26/8/08 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
hi jimbo

i went to the mk open day on sat and like you before i got there i was between bec and cec but they took me out in a bec and now theres no question what i want!!! its bec all the way! so try and get someone local to you or mk to take you out for a drive. im personally going for an R1. Also dont worry about the guys at mk they will answer any question you have aswell as all the guys on this forum. but the choice is yours!! bec!
cheers

Dave

EasyJimbo

posted on 26/8/08 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Chippy
so what made you choose Mk over say Mac1/Aries - just interested?
thanks
J

Richard Quinn

posted on 26/8/08 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
Bike engines aren't a difficult install and I don't know why Steve is telling you that. My install is a little more difficult as I have chosen to follow a slightly less well trodden route but all the questions I have had to ask so far are related to the general build of the car rather than to the engine installation.
If you plan on doing some touring etc then a CEC is probably the way to go. If it's a B road and trackday toy then a BEC gives lots of grin per £. Work out what you would have to spend on a car engined set up to get a similar power to weight ratio and a sequential box and you don't have to go for a Hayabusa to have fun.
As you will have gathered, there is plenty of advice and opinions on here if you get stuck.

adam1985

posted on 26/8/08 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
im just doing my first build which is a r1 bec got took out in a blade engined dax about four years ago and straight away knew that someday ive just gotta have one of them when i get my civic to about 8000rpm it make me smile god knows whats goin happen when this r1 is doing 13000 rpm at full chat cant wait!!!!

to be honest i cant see how a bec is harder to fit somewhere like mk will make all the engine mounts for you so its just a case of bolting it in you dont need any lifting gear as already said i move my r1 engine about on its own lifting it in and out of the chassis as needed think the wiring maybe abit harder on a bec but not sure as havent got that far yet

[Edited on 26/8/08 by adam1985]

Wadders

posted on 26/8/08 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
I know i'm probably going to get flak for this, but here goes. And my advice for what it's worth is based on your original post.

If your mainly going to do road driving with the odd track day etc, go for a CEC, Indy or Aries makes no difference, other than a pinto/zetec will fit easier into an MK with no mods, as the chassis/body is taller

If on the other hand you intend to do a lot of track based driving, i would go for a BEC based on an Aries kit. (but then i am biased )

If you decide on an Aries CEC, use a Toyota 4age, its a well proven route, and is probably halfway between a BEC and a CEC.

As a novice builder i don't think there is any difference between building a CEC or a BEC, both have diffferent difficulties to overcome, and the wealth of knowledge now available on this site etc, will see you through either route.
Al.

mr tone

posted on 26/8/08 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
i have a stuart taylor with a 4age 20 valve toyota engine.its been great for trackdays and on the road,done 22000mls in last 5 years,its great fun .live nr gloucester if you want to go out in it tony.
Paul TigerB6

posted on 26/8/08 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
As Richard Q says - i'm surprised that Aries are telling you a BEC is harder as it isnt. I've built 3 CEC's and am building an R1 BEC with 001Ben and i would have to say the R1 install has been easier. The wiring took a while to sort on the carbed R1 but that was as much down to us hiding it as much as possible and extending most of the wires but we only had 1 wiring fault to sort before it fired up after sitting overnight with fresh fuel in the carbs which i am convinced has absorbed any residue present that stopped it firing the evening before. I had more trouble with getting both a Zetec and a Pinto running - thats for sure.

To me - simply saying BEC's are for more track use and CECs for predominantly road use is over-simplifying things. If your road runs are mostly short thrashes out on a Sunday morning or summer evening then why not go BEC?? For touring then yes i'd go CEC, but i'd rather have a Cobra or V8 Fisher Fury for that anyway.

Try the options if you can and then go for what you really want yourself rather than having a manufacturer swaying you. I have a Tiger kit and they seem determined to talk everyone out of BECs and fitting a Duratec instead. Needless to say i've ignored them

MK chippy

posted on 26/8/08 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
well originally i was going for a cec and they will fit into an mk without the bonnet bulge which to start with i liked the look of. i joined this forum and every comment/review that i read about mk was really good. went to a couple of car shows that mk had stands at and spoke to the guys there which was really helpfull because everything i needed they could do and thier deluxe kit is at a good price. I phoned a couple of other companys and couldnt really better the indy for design and qaulity of parts without spending ALOT more money. then i got a ride in 1 of their cars like i said before and the deposit was paid!

Dave

Stuart_B

posted on 26/8/08 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
i went for a car engined car, as i was giving a doner and i am only 17, and can not speed for 2 years. mine engine is a 1.6 pinto with bike carbs and that is quick enough for me at the moment.

stuart

black mk indy, 1.6pinto on cbr600 bike carb's.

mackei23b

posted on 26/8/08 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
OK, So I though I’d join the debate, I’ve built both CEC and BEC.

To be honest the BEC is an easier build, I walked into the garage carrying my engine, try that with a Ford Pinto! Yes the wiring on a bike engine is a little more complex than an older Crossflow or Pinto, but there is plenty experience and help on the forum to help you.

Regarding driving, I tend to agree with the comments to date, BEC for trackdays, CEC for cruising. That said, and I’ll get crucified for saying this from the BEC boys, I was out in a Westfield with an RS2000 Pinto and it was great fun, definitely no slouch. OK not as quick as a BEC, but much faster than most things on the road and more than up to providing an entertaining drive.

So to sum it up, decide what you want to use the car for and get a ride in both, you pays your money and takes your choice.

EasyJimbo

posted on 26/8/08 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
Think I am going to have a go in one this weekend, plan on a trip to Mk this sat to make my mind up...:-)
thanks for all te helpful info guys and for the offers of help and pasenger rides in your cars. thanks
J

Paul TigerB6

posted on 26/8/08 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
If you are going up to MK then can i suggest you also try to arrange to pop to Aries and Mac#1 while you are up that way. Might mean a really early start but they arent a million miles from each other
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.