Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Oil cooler or not
locosaki

posted on 29/8/08 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
Oil cooler or not

My oil cooler on my gpz1000 has split and I've just removed pipework and blanked at sump.

Is this likely to cause any problems,I'm assuming,If my water temps are correct this should keep the oil temp reasonable aswell !!

I've had a fair few problems regarding oil coolers on this car so I thought I would just do away with the problem this time !!!

Cheers Mike

coozer

posted on 29/8/08 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
Stick a temp gauge on and monitor it.

Thats my plan before I go toy the expense of a cooler to see if it needs it.

Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Guinness

posted on 29/8/08 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
Assuming that the GPZ oil system runs a similar way to the ZZR:-

You need an oil cooler, or at least run a blind loop of pipe from the outlet back to the inlet.

The pump on the ZZR is a two stage pump, first stage takes oil from the sump, through the filter and then delivers that back to the pump, which then pumps it through the cooler and then to the main galleries and bearings. (I think!, it might be the other way round (it's while since I had mine in bits)).

If you blank off the oil cooler, the pump will filter the oil in the sump, then have nowhere to go.

My ZZR runs a "normal" oil temp of 90-110 degrees, with a cooler. After about 15 mins track time the oil temp approaches 120, at which point I pit and let it all cool down. I think you'd pretty quickly cook your oil without a cooler.

Hope that helps

Mike

locosaki

posted on 29/8/08 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the quick reply guys,

I have a oil temp gauge on already to keep an eye on things.

Mike,
I'm pretty sure the oil pump setup will be the same,there doesn't appear to be much difference between the 2 engines,Excellent info though mate,I had no about the direction of oil flow !

What cooler do have on yours and where have you got it mounted,mines did in fact sit behind the rad so I'm not so sure on the airflow that it was getting,Plus it was just the orginal gpz cooler I had on it

Cheers Mike

Guinness

posted on 29/8/08 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
No problem.

I have the original ZZR cooler mounted behind the rad. It used to work OK, until I shrouded the water rad in ally to duct all the air from the nose cone through the water rad. Now I think it sees more warmed air than cool! Hence the fact that it isn't so efficient as it once was! Doh

One of my winter mods is to relocate it / feed it cold air.

Mike

locosaki

posted on 29/8/08 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
I've had a read through a few posts and think I will order a 13 row oil cooler for this now,Slighty bigger than whats in so hopefully it shouldn't over cool !!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.