Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Should I rebuild my engine??
Blue Fox

posted on 31/8/08 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
Should I rebuild my engine??

I have a complete 1100cc xflow which was running when taken out of the car it came from. I also have 1300cc +60thou pistons, a kent cam etc. However I am unsure whether to rebuild the engine now or wait till after SVA(IVA). The reason for this is I won't be able to get the engine run in until after the test and am a bit concerned it may cause damage to the engine when its run on the test. So what do peeople think, should I do it now or wait until after the test?
speedyxjs

posted on 31/8/08 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Fox
The reason for this is I won't be able to get the engine run in until after the test and am a bit concerned it may cause damage to the engine when its run on the test. So what do peeople think, should I do it now or wait until after the test?

You need a running engine for SVA/IVA.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Blue Fox

posted on 31/8/08 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reply, I would have the engine "running" either way for the test but since I'm going to have the cylinders rebored and have new rings etc it will need "running in" its the running in that won't be done in time for the test as I won't be able to drive it.
coozer

posted on 31/8/08 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
During the test I only had to run the engine ticking over for the emissions then out in the yard he asked me to rev it to 4200rpm for the noise test. Just a gentle increase to the required revs.

Shouldn't be a problem, new cars are thrashed to death in the car plant anyway
Then the dealer says 'take it easy for 500 miles' What a laugh!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Danozeman

posted on 31/8/08 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
Depends how soon you want sva really. If you want to do it then id do it now so you dont have to have it off the road when u could be driving it.

It wont be thrashed or anything for the sva so it will be fine.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

rusty nuts

posted on 31/8/08 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
Unless it's for insurance purposes is it worth rebuilding an 1100 engine ? Might be worth keeping the 1300 pistons for a 1600 lump? If you want a 1600 I have a block , crank and rods you can have if you collect.
speedyxjs

posted on 31/8/08 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Fox
Thanks for the reply, I would have the engine "running" either way for the test but since I'm going to have the cylinders rebored and have new rings etc it will need "running in" its the running in that won't be done in time for the test as I won't be able to drive it.

Sorry, i read 'run in' as running woops

DRC INDY 7

posted on 31/8/08 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
I recondition my engine before sva no problems and i have done 350 hard miles in it after

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

Hellfire

posted on 31/8/08 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
I would imagine the engine will be much easier to work on whilst it's out of the car. I'd do it before SVA/IVA.

Phil

Blue Fox

posted on 1/9/08 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks ford your help. I didn't really have any idea what the SVA man would need to do with running the engine. Think I'll get it all rebuilt over the winter then. Just trying to plan out my winter. Because I've only got a very small garage working on the car in there is difficult so I push it out so trying to plan my winter working when I can't get the car out.
D Beddows

posted on 1/9/08 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
TBH all this talk of 'running in' is a bit of a load of old twonk When I used to build Locost race engines I just used to run the (new) cam in at 2000rpm for 20 mins then the engines next port of call was the rolling road where it would usually end up being run up to 6000+ rpm......after that it would be out racing or testing where it would almost certainly end up being revved up to 7000 rpm no matter what you told the driver . Apart from anything else you never usually had the time to do it any other way!

Never had any trouble with the bores/pistons doing that whatsoever - in fact I would say you ran more risk of glazing the bores if you pootled round not revving it to more than 3k for however many miles 'running it in'!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.