Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Chain Diff-Front engine?
tigris

posted on 9/9/08 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
Chain Diff-Front engine?

Does anyone run this setup? The engine would be pushed as far back as possible, and offset into the passenger footwell to minimize chain length. My reasoning for doing this would be to get rid of the prop/diff housing. My lightest option on a shaft diff is a subaru unit stateside, weighing around 30 kg, I can do a chain diff setup, and integrate a brake rotor to shave quite a bit of unsprung weight.
Aico

posted on 9/9/08 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
I never saw it, but I guess it's possible. Howlong would the distance be? Also do you have enough room for the engine to sit transverse? Or do you have another way to fit the chain?
russbost

posted on 9/9/08 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
Surely with a transverse lump driving a chain to the front end you'd have 6 reverse gears (as fitted to Italian tanks in WW2)

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Mr Whippy

posted on 9/9/08 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
even still that sounds quite a lot of chain, how are you going to constrain it from flapping around. Maybe tensioned plastic guide wheels? Wonder too how much snatch you'd get once the chain becomes worn, I have a big cement mixer that suffers from that, the chain gets quite a beating form the shock loads and one day it's going to snap.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tigris

posted on 9/9/08 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
?

About 1.3 meters or so, front engine driving rear wheels, much like the configuration in a bike, or many mid engine setups, just a longer chain
Mr Whippy

posted on 9/9/08 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tigris
About 1.3 meters or so, front engine driving rear wheels, much like the configuration in a bike, or many mid engine setups, just a longer chain

hmm ok so long as you think 1.3m it isn't excessively long, sounds almost twice the distance of a bike chain, draw it out full size on a piece of paper and imagine it flying around at a few thousand rpm and kind of flapping about too

[Edited on 9/9/08 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 9/9/08 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
What about 2 separate chains with an intermediate set of sprockets?

You could even fine tune the gearbox to final drive ratio then with different size sprockets

JoelP

posted on 9/9/08 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
dp's prototype used chains in a similar fashion, LHD with the engine in the passanger seat, with chains going front and back to make AWD. Think he's going onto drive belts to reduce splatter, chatter and matter (weight ).

Nylon guides would help somewhat

http://www.dpcars.net

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/9/08 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
blimey what a cool toy that is ^ looks like a big r/c car!

quote:
Originally posted by nick205
What about 2 separate chains with an intermediate set of sprockets?

You could even fine tune the gearbox to final drive ratio then with different size sprockets

cool idea and easy to do, just need a key'd shaft or even simply bolt the two sprockets togeather with a thin spacer inbetween.

[Edited on 9/9/08 by Mr Whippy]

WanchaiWarrior

posted on 9/9/08 at 11:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
blimey what a cool toy that is ^ looks like a big r/c car!

Yeah its a pretty neat car, in fact thats unfar, its very neat, his website is HERE

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.