Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: autograss
rsjonesy

posted on 10/9/08 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
autograss

hi im building a offroad buggy based on a autograss class 10 chassis can any1 give me a idea of where i can get plans for the chassis any help appreted thanx
iank

posted on 10/9/08 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
Rorty design sell buggy plans, not autograss as such but same idea.
http://www.rorty-design.com/content/CAD_plans.htm

Some other links that might be helpful.
http://www.ukrallysprint.com/off_road_buggy_specs.htm

GB Engineering sell a bare chassis for sensible money if you don't want to weld one up yourself.
http://www.berrisford.co.uk/page_info.php?pages_id=8&osCsid=mn6jvsj8tsi91a0r91deedncg1

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

rsjonesy

posted on 10/9/08 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
thanx i have looked at them sites but they will not give me plans on how to build 1 the most iv got out of them is what type of tube they use iknow ppl build tere own i just need 2 know who they r and where they get there plans from i know theres a few auto grass ppl on here thort they mite be able to help thanx neway
Fred W B

posted on 10/9/08 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
We speak english here, with punctuation.

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

rsjonesy

posted on 10/9/08 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
I was after chassis advice not a english lesson. Thank you anyway
Richard Quinn

posted on 10/9/08 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
Most Specials are either built by companies who will not provide you with plans (due to years or development going in to their design) or individuals who normally produce one-offs. There probably won't be any plans for a one-off home build. The minimum tube sizes and wall thicknesses are all detailed in the Class 8, 9 and 10 rule book. Have a look at the NASA (not the space agency) website for your local club and see if you can buy a rule book.
Other than that, it's visit a local meetiing with a camera and tape measure and see if you can find a friendly owner.
It'll be a hell of a lot easier to buy a chassis, arms and bones etc from a reputable builder and they are not silly money for the amount of work and steel in them and at least you know that you will have something that works. Failing that, if you fancy a 2nd hand bargain have a look at the Yorkshire Dales Autograss website for classifieds and even ebay. It is a good time to buy as most are now testing the water post-nationals etc.

rsjonesy

posted on 10/9/08 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
thanx il have to get the tape measure out i think and take it from there i think unless any1 has any other ideas
clairetoo

posted on 10/9/08 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rsjonesy
I was after chassis advice not a english lesson. Thank you anyway

That's `an` English lesson

Sorry , couldn't resist

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

MikeR

posted on 10/9/08 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
Meeeooowww!

I'm trying to think how to phrase this politely.

Have you ever done anything like this before? Including any racing?

If not i'd suggest you lower your sights a little. You'll get out racing quicker, probably be more competitive and learn what how to make your class 10.

If you just go at it, the chances are you'll get it wrong or never finish.

If you want some advice there are a few grassers on here who i'll sure will pop by with advice soon.

(i've never raced, i just know someone who has. He sold his class 9 and still hasn't finished his class 7 despite starting probably 18 months ago) & he probably knows better than most what to do.

Alan B

posted on 10/9/08 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fred W B
We speak english here, with punctuation.

Cheers

Fred W B

Totally agree with Fred here.

Few of us are perfect with our spelling or grammar, and most of us will gladly put up with a few errors. It's the deliberate bad grammar, spelling and text-speak that really gets my back up....things like "neway", "r" and the use of numbers instead of real words.

It can be difficult enough to explain a problem or ask a question at the best of times, but the worse the english, the less chance you have of getting answers.

So by all means write however you like, but if anyone expects me to put some effort into answering their question I expect some effort put into asking it. Not looking for perfection, but at least an attempt at English.

Alan

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeR

posted on 10/9/08 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
i know my English isn't good, and at times it can be blooming awful. But i'm with the others on this one. Trying to write in sentences, use punctuation and attempting to spell things correctly makes it a damned sight easier for everyone else to figure out the question and give you an answer.

(ok, i cheat on my English, i use firefox with an English language plug in that highlights all the words that it knows i've misspelt )

rsjonesy

posted on 10/9/08 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
im not looking to race at class 10 or even go nar a gasstrack. im just basing my buggy on that style of chassis. sorry for the spelling but i did only learn to spell and write a year ago. didnt mean to affend
TGR-ECOSSE

posted on 10/9/08 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome
I can't believe people have been critical of your punctuation and spelling without knowing the facts Don't let it put you off there are some nice understanding people on here as well they are just not as quick as posting as the grammar police

MikeR

posted on 10/9/08 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
i agree i don't know the facts.

Neither does anyone know I'm dyslexic and it was only identified 5 years ago when i was 30. (ok everyone knows now). Its irrelevant.

I still stand by the comment, that the easier you make it for everyone else to read what you've written the more likely people are to read your question and post a reply. But this isn't helping RSJonesey.

RSJonsey - what are you wanting to build. A class 10 grasser is a very particular vehicle. Its stuck with very fixed rules. Why not a class 9 for example? Identical car except hte engine rules are different. What do you want to do with the vehicle, drive on the road or drive across fields, race people or just make circles in a field, do you own a field to drive in?

hillbillyracer

posted on 10/9/08 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
I've never heard ofany plans to build an Autograss special, folk either buy a chassis ready built or build it how they see fit. There is a rule book but it doesnt give you an actual design, that's left to the builder.
If you want the fun etc of building your own then fair enough but simple as they are you'll spend a fair bit of time & money doing it, steel is nearly 3 times the price it was a couple of years back & then you've got all the suspension joints, shockers & tons of other odds & sods.
Does it have to be a class 10? If you're looking to have something to have a bit of fun blasting about in a field I'd buy an old rolling chassis for a class 9 autograss special, very much like a 10 but they use a car engine up to about 2000cc. So you may find someone with an out of date design chassis built to take say a Vauxhall 2.0l 16v, you buy the rolling chassis & fit the engine & gearbox from a 1.8 or 2.0l 8v Cavalier which will cost you peanuts. You may be up, running & having a blast all in one weekend! The big plus is it would still be a car you could race in autograss should you want someday & if not it will be much easier to sell if you want to get rid.
A class 8 will have a bike engine so that means no reverse gear & it'll be a bit more fragile while a class 10 is anything goes so twin bike engines, big V8, even real race-bred engines which is all expensive when you aint actually racing anyone!
Classes 8,9 & 10 all follow a similar build anyway, there will be as much or more difference between 2 cars of the same class by different builders as there will be between 2 cars of differnet classes but built by the same bloke.
If you do go down the road of buying something rather than building then as already said the Yorkshire Dales forum is the place but you will find something much quicker if you put a wanted advert on there, there may be a few old cars out there that folk had'nt thought of selling.

Taz Surfleet

posted on 10/9/08 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
sorry had to laugh when I saw the only people complaining about punctuation were an american and a south african !!
ps lifes too short and this site was put together to help and share ideas not criticise. someones english ffs

Alan B

posted on 10/9/08 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
Taz....if you can't understand someone's questions it can be hard to help them....that was the message...nobody is trying give English class.

If rsjonesy is trying his best, then I accept that, and will help however I can........my gripe is about deliberate and lazy text speak etc.

And by the way I'm actually English, and have given lots of advice and answered loads of questions on here.

Again, my message is......do your best to make your questions as readable and understandable as possible and you'll get the best response.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RK

posted on 11/9/08 at 02:00 AM Reply With Quote
No you're not, your American - as a you'all dweller, or is it y'all, I get them mixed up.

But I am not a Quebecer. As an anglo from another province, I can justify it!

[Edited on 11/9/08 by RK]

finlay

posted on 11/9/08 at 05:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TGR-ECOSSE
Welcome
I can't believe people have been critical of your punctuation and spelling without knowing the facts Don't let it put you off there are some nice understanding people on here as well they are just not as quick as posting as the grammar police

agree 100%

scootz

posted on 11/9/08 at 06:52 AM Reply With Quote
Text 'speak' and it's derivatives WILL eventually become an accepted (mainstream) form of grammar... get used to it!

Every generation has critisised the next for their use of spoken or written language. Language is a 'living' thing and has always developed as the masses use it.

PS - Sorry I can't help with your question as I know now't about grasstracking, but good luck in your endeavors and keep us posted!

sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 11/9/08 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
Damn Colonials, bugger up our language and then expect to teach us it.

By the way, anyone know how to spell winningest?

Better to Burnout than to Fade Away JET METAL ~ AndySparrow ©

MikeRJ

posted on 11/9/08 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RK
No you're not, your American - as a you'all dweller, or is it y'all, I get them mixed up.

So if someone born and raised in the UK now lives in the US, you are saying they should no longer hold any views on how English should be written?

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 11/9/08 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rsjonesy
hi im building a offroad buggy based on a autograss class 10 chassis.
Can any1 give me a idea of where i can get plans for the chassis?
any help appreciated
thanks

Ive sent you a link

Ps dont worry about the writing police

Welcome to the mad house

rsjonesy

posted on 8/10/08 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
i dont want to race at any point i just want to have lots of fast cheap fun and thourt power 2 weight a bike engine would b best . thanx for the help people have provided and sorry for all the arguement i have caused about spelling lol

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.