Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Supercharge that Zetec!
Chaz

posted on 12/9/08 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
Supercharge that Zetec!

Recently i've been helping my mate, known to most of you as Benzine who is currently supercharging a volvo 6 pot. Having seen the simplicity (mechanically) that is supercharging i thought i might give it a bash. Now this is 'locost' after all and i want to just give it a go and tinker if you know what i mean.

So can people scrutinise my overzealous plan, of which i am bound to have forgotten something important!

It will be a standard Silvertop 1.8 zetec with a compression plate, running megasquirt into a custom made plenum via somekinda single throttle body. M45 supercharger, intercooler or not i'm unsure? Please can people advise on this cos i dont think i really need it.

Then thinking about power what compression ratio do i need (depth of compression plate?) What PSI can a eaton m45 run to, and what kind of power figures will i be looking at achieving potentially?

All comments would be gratefully recieved!

Chaz

Meeerrrk

posted on 12/9/08 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
i think you should plan in a small intercooler, even if its just a single side mount from something like a golf/leon/ibiza (ie 20vT engine cars)

regards,

Mark

For Sale : 2008 Aries/Stuart Taylor Motorsport Locoblade (954 Blade)

blakep82

posted on 12/9/08 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
see if you go for blowthrough, i've heard that you need to do extra work on carbs/throttle bodies to stop fuel squirting out everywhere,

just always wondered what would happen if you made an 'airbox' to house the carbs/throttlebodies fully inside the airbox.

just something that popped into my head.. carry on!

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Chaz

posted on 12/9/08 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah looked into that, i think i will stick to a basic plenum with injectors, easy.
big_wasa

posted on 12/9/08 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
been done
Chaz

posted on 12/9/08 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers warren
L5W

posted on 12/9/08 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
found this on youtube a while back after reading about supercharging in PPC mag. looks like a 7 of some sort, perhaps a foreign build looking at the language in the info section

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ghjc_I1wQ-g

love the noise

COREdevelopments

posted on 12/9/08 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
that sounds awesome, been thinking about SC my 4age! its just gotta be done.

Rob

BenB

posted on 12/9/08 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Well here's my views on the M45.....

Go for blow-through if you're fitting an intercooler (and you should!!!)
Fit a bypass valve to prevent low-throttle HP loss...
Don't run more than high single figure PSI otherwise go for a bigger charger (Rootes are not known for their efficiencies, you get law of diminishing returns if you turn the wick up).
You need to fit an intercooler (see the graph in my photo archive).
What's the standard Zetec CR??? Depending on your target fuel and level of boost you can work out you required CR.

Read Graham Bell "Forced Induction Tuning" and Corky Bell's "Supercharged" for lots of numbers and fun and games.

But basically if you're running 14PSI you'll produce about 30% (+/-10%!!!) under double the HP depending on intercooler etc and lots of rather complicated variables. But as a "back of the fag packet" estimate it's about right.

IF you want a cheap throttle body that'll take boost I can recommend a RS turbo TB- it's quite easy to make an adaptor plate to take a standard Rover TPS as the RS turbo TB has the same 8mm D-shape spindle (guess how I know that!!!)... Otherwise most modern TBs will take a moderate amount of boost.... There's a straightforward relationship between TB butterfly size and BHP so if you let me know the target BHP I can let you know the best butterfly size....

Benzine

posted on 12/9/08 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Hey charlie! I forgot that I have this book obviously you can borrow it if you want to! I put that CD in the post today, should hopefully be with you tomorrow or monday

quote:
Originally posted by BenB
Fit a bypass valve to prevent low-throttle HP loss...

Would you be able to say more about this? What does it do, what does it connect to etc

[Edited on 12/9/08 by Benzine]

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 13/9/08 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
A bypass valve is the same whether on a turbo or a blower installation. I'm using a BOF off a Turbo Saab 9600 (I think or maybe a 96!!(...

It goes from the blower output to the blower input. The activation tube goes from the valve to the plenum. It works on the principal that when you back off the throttle the pressure in the plenum goes from positive to vaccum (the engine is pulling against a closed butterfly). This opens the valve which then sends the boosted air back into the blower inlet. This reduces residual losses and prevents the blower slamming loads of positive pressure into an intercooler with nowhere for it to go. On a Rootes blower the lack of a compression ratio means that you don't get heat building up in the air going round and round and round...

BOVs on turbo cars tend to be of the non-recirculating "dump valve" type valve. This is because the centrifugal type compressor (whether belt driven or turbine driven) results in heat due to its CR). So on a centrifugal blower you want to get rid of the air. On a Rootes you don't (in fact if you did blow it off it would loose you power because you'ld just have to drag even more air through the air filter).

coozer

posted on 13/9/08 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
Excuse my lack of knowledge on this subject but it does sound very interesting...

How on earth do you attach that HUGE outlet to the intake...

Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

jamie1107

posted on 13/9/08 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
zetec throttle body is fine for about 30psi we darent run boost above that even on our demo s lol
you will get about 7psi out of the m45 the pully is a bitch to get off though if you want to run a little more bmw do a special tool but its about 300 quid i do have a copy i made though if you get stuck
7 psi will be fine on a std zetech no compression plate needed assuming you are running management which allows for knock sensing eg megasquirt
you have 3 options for intake cooling
an intercooler but theres not much space on a 7 and do bear in mind the rad will need as much air as possible as you will be creating more combustion heat
so theres a charge cooler there are some bargains on ebay
or again if you are running ms then water injection would cure two problems at once detonation caused by the raised compression ratio and charge air temperature a simple set up activated by msns in conjunction with megasquirt would cost less than 10 quid if you go the right way about it
any questions dont hesitate to give me a shout also if you want adaptors for the input and output of the eaton we can do those to from stainless or ali

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.