Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: unequal length wishbone mounts
Delinquent

posted on 12/9/08 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
unequal length wishbone mounts

I've "borrowed" a bit of design inspiration from another vehicle for a possible project, but looking at it in more depth I noticed that the front wishbones have the rearward mount points considerably nearer the wheels than the front mount points. Or to clarify, the mounts are not parallel to the centre line of the vehicle, but skewed outwards considerably from the centreline.

Now struggling to get my head around what possible implications that would have on the suspension travel - jury rigging a matchstick model up just confuses me further so thought I'd take the simple approach and ask you lot

[Edited on 12/9/08 by Delinquent]

blakep82

posted on 12/9/08 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
its how my ex-race chassis is... if its good enough for a professionally designed and built chassis....

built by SHP btw.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

dunk3

posted on 12/9/08 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
fuel pipe

hi everybody . what size fuel line do i use and does it have to be rubber or copper . i will be fitting it to a mk indy zetec .which is the best route to fit it and what is the correct gap for the p clips you use to fasten it with. thanks.
dunk3

posted on 12/9/08 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
sorry

sorry put the question in the wrong box
mark chandler

posted on 12/9/08 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
makes no difference as long as you keep parallel with the centreline of the chassis. Rescued attachment f2_1035b.jpg
Rescued attachment f2_1035b.jpg

nick205

posted on 12/9/08 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
makes no difference as long as you keep parallel with the centreline of the chassis.

I think he's seen is a design where the inner wishbone pivot points are NOT parallel to the chasis centreline

I have seen this sort of layout too, but couldn't tell you what the effect might be on castor, camber, toe etc through the suspension travel.

Slightly different, but many rear suspenion set-ups with trailing arms (e.g. Sierra) do not have the inner pivot points parrallel or perpendicular to the chasis centreline.

Delinquent

posted on 12/9/08 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

I think he's seen is a design where the inner wishbone pivot points are NOT parallel to the chasis centreline

exactly

Looking at other oddities out there I'm seeing more and more of it - interesting if not slightly confusing!

MikeR

posted on 12/9/08 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
I'm curious what happens if you have the rear (furthest from the front of the car) a smidgen nearer the centre line. I'm never 100% convinced mine aren't - despite using a wooden batton bolted to the front and back and it fitting perfectly (plus using a jig to weld them.

So i suppose i'm interested in the opposite answer (just in case - paranoia, don't you love it?)

blakep82

posted on 12/9/08 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
well, with mine, when the wheel is pushed up, the bottom ball joint moves slightly back (reducing the castor angle)

i'm sure there is some kind of benefit in it (combined with body roll for example?) but i can't work out what it is...

with the suspension travel what it is, i don't think it makes enough of a difference to the castor anle to be a problem though

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

t.j.

posted on 13/9/08 at 05:46 AM Reply With Quote
I don't want any "unidentified" movement in my car.

The Sierra is "wobbeling" around in corners and has big rubber bushes every where to compensate the travel/steering.

I think you could use this, but, have a look under a Audi A4 which also has a lot off 'not logic' wishbones placement.
Without good calculation and 3D i won't try it and keep it in the old fashion-way

Please feel free to correct my bad English, i'm still learning. Your Dutch is awfull! :-)

Delinquent

posted on 13/9/08 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by t.j.have a look under a Audi A4 which also has a lot off 'not logic' wishbones placement.
Without good calculation and 3D i won't try it and keep it in the old fashion-way

Funny you should say that, I've got an A4 and you are right, it is all bit odd!

I've drawn it up fully in CAD using equal length inboard-mounts-not-parallel-to-chassis wishbones, in that instance the difference is a shortening of wheelbase in bump OR drop - by a not inconsiderable margin. Will set forth again tomorrow but use unequal length wishbones of known quantity (book locost) and see what happens then

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.