Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Got Burgled at the Weekend
trogdor

posted on 22/9/08 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
Got Burgled at the Weekend

Well am back at work feeling pretty aweful. I got broken into this weekend. And it was my own stupid fault.

I usually lock our front door at night, but i do sometimes forget. I woke up at 3 in the morning thinking that the hampster is being very loud, what the hell is it doing? So i get up to check on it, switch on the landing light and see two figures running out the door, so I am shouting after them and run out the door to make sure they are gone.

However the f**kers had taken my wallet and my wifes handbag. Luckily i disturbed them before they could get further into our house where our camera and laptops could of been taken.

I was lucky as my van and work keys were still there as well as some demo lab equipment that was worth alot.

However my wifes handbag had house keys for our and both sets of parents house plus our audi keys.

So we spend the night watching the car and the doors until the police finally arrive at about 8:30 or so.

This story has abit of a happy ending as a lovely guy found my wifes bag and stuff scattered everywhere about half a mile away and took the trouble to call us.

So we got my wifes designer purse and house keys back so no new locks on the house needed. However car keys are still missing so have left audi at my parents for the duration until new locks can be found.

However we are both not very happy, Its awful knowing someone has been in your house and there is a very good chance they will try again. My wife is still pretty upset, and has not been able to sleep much at all.

I remember hearing about people going to bed with their house alarms on which i thought was abit OTT but guess what we did last night.......

[Edited on 22/9/08 by trogdor]

carpmart

posted on 22/9/08 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
Thats terrible!

Its the violation which is the hardest part to rationalise!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

nick205

posted on 22/9/08 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear about it

As said, it's not the material stuff so much as the hassle and the feeling of unwanted intrusion into your life

Hope you get everything sorted and resume normal service ASAP

Guinness

posted on 22/9/08 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
I'm sorry to hear about that mate. We've been burgled once, had the car broken into and my bike stolen.

After the shock comes anger. Each time I put that anger to use and upgraded our security, additional locks / lights / uv marker etc etc.

Each time the police have given us a crime number, but basically said, they won't be able to catch them!

As one of the coppers said to me, as a householder you have to ensure your place is secure all the time, as a buglar they only have to get lucky once. Bastards.

Mike

trogdor

posted on 22/9/08 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
It is deffo the intrusion that is the worse part, they only got about £25 in notes and shrapnal and we got most of my wifes cards and stuff back after we cancelled them of course!

My wallet and stuff is mostly still gone, but the only bad thing is the car keys!

My wife wants to sleep in the back seat in dark clothing and scare the sh*t out of the them when they come back for it!

hobzy

posted on 22/9/08 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear about that - ba*tards.

Scared myself yesterday by getting locked out - mrs went off in the car for the weekend with the house keys, locking up behind her and I just didnt click that I might need mine as I normally have the car. What scared me was how easy it was to open the front door through the letter box as she hadn't double locked it... One radiator paint roller and a bit of bending.

Spent ten minutes this morning going round the whole house checking everything

graememk

posted on 22/9/08 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
sorry to hear your bad new been there domne that too. i'm also a sod for leaving the front door unlocked and sometimes my keys hanging outside too, the postman used to post them back in the morning.

i've now fixed this buy putting a yale on the door, now i have to remember to take my keys out as theres 2 locks to get in and now i automaticaly lock the door when i shut it as the yale come back on.

now i lock myself out a few time a week, so i leave a spare key next door.lol

afj

posted on 22/9/08 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
Being the son of a sucessful bookie at the local dog track we were burgled 1-2 times a year for about 20 years- the feeling never gets any better and you cant do anything to stop them, they even took the livingroom window clean out once and placed it nicely on the lawn, august bank holiday was the best time for them as they knew dad would have 10k+ on him over the weekend
Ivan

posted on 22/9/08 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
My sympathy - I suggest you move to SA for a short while - If you survive the first time you leave a door unlocked I guarentee you will never leave another door unlocked - ever.

omega 24 v6

posted on 22/9/08 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
Feel for you mate it's a terrible thing.
Our's got caught and got 2 years probation (WTF) it didn't help. Even now after 15 years I'd happily watch them die a slow death.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

RichB

posted on 22/9/08 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear about that. Glad to hear that you're both ok though. It's one of my wife's biggest fears so we have the alarm on when we go to bed even though we've got 2 big dogs!

It's nice to know at least that burglars still leg it when they're rumbled!

Rich

bimbleuk

posted on 22/9/08 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
This reminds me of my sister who has lived abroad for quite a while. Her husband was managing a plantation in Jamaica and their house was burgled several times and they stole everything and I mean bed clothes, empty bottles basically anything they could carry! When a couple of robbers had an argument outside one time and one was left dead from some nasty machette wounds they decided it was time to leave.
wilkingj

posted on 22/9/08 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
A friend of mine's son managed a factory in Peru. They used to get Armed bandits come in and rob the employees in broad daylight at gunpoint.

Mind you that was 30 years ago.
The world is not getting a better place.

Too many people think they can have what is not theirs and for doing no work at all.

Society is in a downward spiral.

Its about time we took all the assets of a criminal away, and give them to the police to fund their work. A Bit like the DEA do in the USA.
Use the criminals wealth to fund the fight against them.

</RANT>

Ahhhh I feel better now!.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
violentblue

posted on 22/9/08 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
had my car broken into once
stole my CD's, cd player was half way out of the dash when I discovered it, so I musta scared them off. keeping in ming this is back when an in car cd player was a big ticket item.

obviously didn't like my taste in music, cause I followed a trail of discarded CD's all the way to the house of some well known neighbourhood no-goods.
plod wouldn't touch them though wich makes me mad.

got all but 3 cd's back

a few pics of my other projects

davie h

posted on 22/9/08 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
sorry to hear that . when me and the wife moved into the house we are in now i couldnt sleep right for months. at the time it was a new build and we were some of the first in the street to move in with no street lights or anyone around us. last year i caught the window cleaner having a good look in the garage went out and bought a security cable thing and padlocked everything to the ground anchor toolbox,mig,pillar drill and compressor i couldnt afford to replace these bits of kit

Davie

Danozeman

posted on 22/9/08 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear about that buddy.

My missus always moans at me for locking the front door when im out the back or working upstairs. These bastards come in your house when your there!!! She doesnt realise what id to to them if i caught then in my house... They wouldnt do it again. The police do nothing and dont seem to give a shit.

My inlaws when i go round there to pick my daughter up i just walk in the front door. If theyr upstairs i could have anything i wanted out of the house before they noticed. And they live in a strange area.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

Neil P

posted on 22/9/08 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think putting the alarm on when you go to bed is at all over the top. They could be in your garage ruining your day while you sleep. I always put mine on, you can ignore all those unusual noises in the night knowing that if they are coming in your house you'll be the first to know.

My experience of police officers is that they do give a poo and love nothing more than getting hands on with a burgling b'stard.

Neil

JoelP

posted on 22/9/08 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
i lock the door whenever i leave the kitchen (where the door is!). And take keys with me even though theres no letterbox. You cant be too careful. Sympathies to OP, ive had stuff robbed from the garden but not the house where i live now. Had some scrote through the window at my old house 8 years ago, and my bro once got tied up at mine when i was out, but we've been lucky since!
blakep82

posted on 22/9/08 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
f**kers
we always set the alarm on the house when no ones in, or everyones asleep.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

RK

posted on 22/9/08 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
A dog is a wonderful deterrent for these scum. They won't like the attention from barking even if you have a little harmless poodle. I hope it is all resolved quickly and you can move on.
trogdor

posted on 23/9/08 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the comments, It does really help.
We got the main bits back which is what counts, the car keys are a bitch tho as talking to our insurer if we made a claim they would write the car off! which is not what we want. So am trying to find a secondhand set of locks.

Audi want £200 for a new set of blank lock barrels! Hope the guy breaking them on ebay can come up with the goods at a decent price.

Many thanks to you all.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.