Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Repacking a normal silencer?
Derek182

posted on 22/9/08 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
Repacking a normal silencer?

My Luego pinto recently gave 109db at a Woodbridge trackday where the limit was 102db, some DIY with a Coke can got it legal at least for a while but strangled the engine.
The exhaust is a Westfield stainless 4" which is in good condition apart from a complete lack of packing.
It is not supposed to be a repackable silencer but surely it can't be hard to cut the end off, repack and weld back together or make the end cap boltable on and off.
Anyone done this?
Advice appreciated.

twybrow

posted on 23/9/08 at 12:12 AM Reply With Quote
I cut and welded mine. I should have put more thought in and made it removable, but it is a dog, and only meant for SVA.

Mr Whippy

posted on 23/9/08 at 06:43 AM Reply With Quote
how about a clamp on band near the end, say 2inchs wide overlapping the join, so you can take it apart later, could even use it as the mounting bracket?

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
contaminated

posted on 23/9/08 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
I know someone on the Tiger forum has done this with a standard Tiger silencer - but I can't remember who!
groundrush

posted on 2/10/08 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/viatron/vpost?id=2806747&highlight=silencer#

This is the link to the tiger site where they repacked a non repackable silencer.

If it doesn't work use the search feature and type in "tiger exhaust can"

I may just order a RAW one. May be worth seeing about a group discount if we can get a few ordered at the same time. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Ben

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.